Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-03-09, 01:34 AM   #16
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castout View Post
Im playing Open Falcon on Vista and have little problems with it. yes the fps is a little disappointing but it plays well enough.

Of course I do not use anti aliasing as that will give me problem in loadout screen. But this is not critical you one can always use antialiasing with Nvidia cards and still be able to play it.
I have an ATI card, ATI cards with Vista get a problem where every object in the game becomes see-through, really annoying
Old 06-03-09, 02:00 AM   #17
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

So for Free Falcon you don't need to own F4 at all?
Old 06-03-09, 02:00 AM   #18
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
So for Free Falcon you don't need to own F4 at all?
Yup
Old 06-03-09, 05:03 AM   #19
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

A few screenshots from the Korea theater.

[Some of] North Korea Air Force Inventory

MiG-19. Small, fast enough, agile with a deadly stroke of multi-cannon armament. A fraction of second in this plane gunsight will spell the doom of any careless Viper driver.

MiG-23. All altitude fighter.

Ilyushin-28 'Beagle'. You don't need advance plane to incarcerate enemy ground target. These will do the job just fine.

MiG-29. High priority threat aircraft to the Allies. This one bites and will bite hard.

Dogfighting with the Flanker

Tally ho! Any Viper driver would not wish to see this, a Flanker so close boring in straight into his own cockpit!! Fu**!!

Pull, pull, pull, High Gs maneuvering is inevitable when dealing with Flanker in close quarter.

Ummm pfft, Ummm pfftt, Umm pfft, A Viper driver trying to avoid G-lock from incurring in High Gs turning.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Stars:

The Viper. The plane upon which all other modern fighting planes are judged. The de facto standard of modern fighting plane.

Going after! Full throttle

This plane means business!!!

Last edited by Castout; 06-03-09 at 05:33 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 05:18 AM   #20
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1 View Post
I have an ATI card, ATI cards with Vista get a problem where every object in the game becomes see-through, really annoying
Sorry to hear that. Even for the newest Open Falcon 4.7? I always felt unfortunate to have played Open Falcon with an Nvidia card and Vista, hicks. The game tempted me to have a dual install.

Last edited by Castout; 06-03-09 at 05:29 AM.
Castout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-09, 09:15 PM   #21
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

I have to disagree. I can always down a Flanker. The MiG-29 is the problem however, especially if it gets into a dogfight.

Flanker is easily dealt with from range when starting with high energy. If a close happens, the Flanker is toast. The MiG-29 just can hang with you no matter what you do. If he manages to get on your tail with an Ace pilot in the cockpit, he will just hang with you until you trick him. And that is the problem, you practically have to make him do a mistake before you can regain your edge.

My scorecard - Flanker is scary since it usually carries a lot of things that can reach out and touch you (AMRAAMSKI's) and can hang with you in well a fight.

MiG-29 is super scary. It may not have the range of the flanker, but this thing is a bitch to fight. Best to down them with AMRAAM's so as not to get into a scuffle with them.

In my opinion, if I knew I had to close with one of these two birds and duke it out, and I had one AMRAAM left, I shoot the MiG-29 first with the Aim-120 and then choose to close with the Flanker!

Just my 2 cents.

-S
Old 06-04-09, 04:31 AM   #22
NealT
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4

I believe that you would find this is the way it would be done IRL as well...

Old 06-04-09, 06:33 AM   #23
Fincuan
Admiral

Downloads: 39

If I had a Mig-29 and an Su-27 bearing down on me I'd just launch the sole remaining ARAAM at the Flanker(longer range, bigger threat in pursuit) and run like a pussy before the missile goes PITBULL
Fincuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 06:39 AM   #24
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Yeah, but I would say getting into a turning fight with a Flanker would theoretically be a better choice than getting into a turning fight with the Fulcrum
Old 06-05-09, 04:17 AM   #25
Castout
Silent Hunter

Yea agree in reality the Fulcrum would probably be more maneuverable. But what scare me in Open Falcon is actually neither.

It's the Typhoon. Damn it !!!! it stays on my tail no matter what. . .
I don't know how a Typhoon would fare in RL though but in Open Falcon it's one tough plane to defeat, guns only speaking.

But I must say that a Flanker at half fuel is another dogfighter than the same Flanker at full fuel.......well at least in LOMAC pfffttt.
Old 06-06-09, 08:33 AM   #26
Castout
Silent Hunter

Well I tried Free Falcon 5 today(with the hotfix released yesterday) and it's GREAT.

The graphics is much more compelling. The sounds effect is terrific much better than even Open Falcon 4.7, the lighting is great love the a/c flashing lights and it runs much faster than Open Falcon does in my Vista system.

The only quirk is that it tend to CTD and freeze every other time but it's a game that can't just be dismissed easily even when one already got Open Falcon installed. It stands out.
Old 06-06-09, 10:55 AM   #27
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Yea agree in reality the Fulcrum would probably be more maneuverable. But what scare me in Open Falcon is actually neither.

It's the Typhoon. Damn it !!!! it stays on my tail no matter what. . .
I don't know how a Typhoon would fare in RL though but in Open Falcon it's one tough plane to defeat, guns only speaking.

But I must say that a Flanker at half fuel is another dogfighter than the same Flanker at full fuel.......well at least in LOMAC pfffttt.
Fighting Allies are we? Kick their butt back in shape!

Actually there is only really one plane that you will never get a kill on, or rarely get a kill - The F-22. He can turn inside you at any speed. You can shoot him from range. Your only chance is a lucky sidewinder shot so you magically have to appear near him and you magically have to spot him with the MK1 eyeball sensor and you magically have to be in a spot where you can take the shot.

Of course before all this happens perfectly, he will have shot you down 4 or 5 times. And then when you miss, he will do it again!

Its the most unfair plane to fight in all of Falcon. RL is the same I suspect.

-S
Old 06-06-09, 01:30 PM   #28
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Well I tried Free Falcon 5 today(with the hotfix released yesterday) and it's GREAT.

The graphics is much more compelling. The sounds effect is terrific much better than even Open Falcon 4.7, the lighting is great love the a/c flashing lights and it runs much faster than Open Falcon does in my Vista system.

The only quirk is that it tend to CTD and freeze every other time but it's a game that can't just be dismissed easily even when one already got Open Falcon installed. It stands out.
Yeah, the hotfix fixed a bunch of my problems as well
Old 06-06-09, 06:11 PM   #29
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

I prefer Free Falcon for it modeling GPS guided munitions much better than the rest.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-09, 09:58 PM   #30
Castout
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1 View Post
Fighting Allies are we? Kick their butt back in shape!

Actually there is only really one plane that you will never get a kill on, or rarely get a kill - The F-22. He can turn inside you at any speed. You can shoot him from range. Your only chance is a lucky sidewinder shot so you magically have to appear near him and you magically have to spot him with the MK1 eyeball sensor and you magically have to be in a spot where you can take the shot.

Of course before all this happens perfectly, he will have shot you down 4 or 5 times. And then when you miss, he will do it again!

Its the most unfair plane to fight in all of Falcon. RL is the same I suspect.

-S
Will try stealing some pride from those F-22s. Aarrrr .

In Free Falcon 5 it's the J-10 . Had my arse handed down yesterday by the ace AI. I was fighting it in a block 40 F-16 perhaps the block 52 will perform better. I think they have different engines the later being more powerful.

The newer planes are just insane. Suddenly I found the F-16 to be mediocre in gunzo fighting.