Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-21, 12:53 PM   #1
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Question about deliveries. FedEx vs DHL

Not sure where to post this so here goes:

I am looking to buy some game controllers and at the price they're at, I would really sleep better at night knowing the delivery service won't trash the gear, or lose it or something silly like that so:

Any experience with FedEx (economy and priority are available) and/or DHL Express (the most expensice option)?
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 01:05 PM   #2
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I can't speak for international shipping but domestically in the US I will not use FedEx ever again. They are expensive and have damaged more items I've shipped than ever arrived intact. I asked about fragile stickers once and the counter person said they treat every shipment as fragile. I interpret that now to mean it gets shipped just as badly as ever. I have far better luck with the USPS which is cheaper, faster and far less likely to be broken.

Just this past fall I ordered some Tamiya spray cans from Amazon and FedEx damaged them in shipment. The package was stalled at one of their facilities and would have stayed there forever if I didn't contact the seller asking what was going to happen. Reshipped USPS and arrived safely in a couple of days.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 01:07 PM   #3
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post

I am looking to buy some game controllers and at the price they're at, I would really sleep better at night knowing the delivery service won't trash the gear, or lose it or something silly like that so:

Any experience with FedEx (economy and priority are available) and/or DHL Express (the most expensice option)?

I've used both services and each delivered the package in one piece. The only complaint I have is with DHL. Delivery seemed to take longer and I never got good tracking data. So if I was given a choice I'd go with FedEx every time.

edit: LOL I just saw buddahaid's post

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 01:13 PM   #4
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I think its pretty much of a crap shoot when it comes to delivery services; they aren't even consistent within fairly limited areas, like, say, a state; most are pretty good at getting things to their destination in one piece and they are pretty much even in service; I don't do much mail order purchasing, mainly medical stuff, but I haven't had many problems except the usual ones of delayed delivery, but those have been always due to conditions out of the control of the carriers; I did get one item that was slightly damaged, but the vendor was very quick to replace the item, so I really don't have much of a complaint; you might want to inquire of some of the persons who live around you and see if they have any experience with the vendors you mentioned; as said, the service can very from area to area, keeping in mind that, ultimately, the human element is always the wild card in any business transaction...

One other thing you might try: check online to see if there are any service reviews for you area for those companies; I once had something sent to me via the USPS and it seemed to take forever to get here; the tracing showed it was at a USPS distribution hub nearby and had been there for days; I Googled the hub and found links to postal customer complaints regarding severe problems with items passing through that hub; armed with that knowledge, I went to the USPS office here in Hollywood, which is also a hub fr my immediate area and asked to speak with a postal inspector; I told him about the long delay with my item and showed him the critical posts I had found regarding the larger regional hub with the problems; he was a little surprised at the extent of the complaints and told me he would make some calls about the matter; later that day, I checked again on the USPS tracking, and, lo and behold, my item had suddenly passed through the larger regional hub and was on its way...

<O>
Old 01-27-21, 01:18 PM   #5
Von Due
Sea Lord

Thanks a ton, guys. Yeah it appears that most delivery services obey the Rules Of Delivery Services:
1: All round parcels are footballs and must be kicked onto the truck.
2: Any non-round parcel must be made round and obey rule #1

I have no idea how many complaints I've read about various services, smashed up items, lost items etc but I am looking at a pretty hefty sum to pay (1800+ euros) and smashing up and losing items is not an option here. Unfortunately, the shop only offers these 3 options.

As for waiting, I sure can wait an extra week or more as long as the goods arrive undamaged. That has the highest priority for me.

Last edited by Von Due; 01-27-21 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-27-21, 01:33 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

good to see nothing's gone outta style in 45 years since I was an 'X-mas hire' UPS delivery driver in downtown San José CA. 50 stops a day and 20 pickups on an all-commercial downtown route before I went to class 1 trukken nationwide. My hobbyist wife receives stuff all the time especially during the pandemic lockdown : FedEx, UPS, USPS...no difference; they all have damage usually from inferior packaging or the highly automated sorting conveyer's handling at the companies' shipping hubs.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 01:38 PM   #7
Von Due
Sea Lord

So, should I book a flight to Belarus then and carry the gear back myself? It's a bummer and a deal breaker for sure if there is no sane way of getting the stuff sent over without incidents.

EDIT: Looks like Virpil is taking shipping more seriusly than shipping companies. Reading up on happy customers receiving their items in enough bubble wrap to wrap their houses. That's a good thing!
Old 01-27-21, 02:27 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I have learned one thing-Never ask other internet user for advice on thing.

You get 100 answers with 100 different solution.

We have many companies who deliver parcel and each of them has made mistake.

Put every name you know off in a bowl
Close your eyes and pick one.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 02:33 PM   #9
Von Due
Sea Lord

While you have a good point, I have about 1900 reasons to not jump into a buy blind. Sometimes there are trends in the replies which are better pointers than no pointer at all.
Old 01-28-21, 08:42 PM   #10
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

I would weigh what shipping companies I use with regards to what comments were made here. I would just make sure to add insurance for some added protection and piece of mind. Other than that, it's a crap shoot..
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 09:20 PM   #11
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I actually think adding insurance is a waste of money. You have to have the damage to the "box" before opening very well documented and the opening as well. Gee, it wasn't packed properly, etc. Once you see damage you file the claim and wait, and wait, and wait. Any misstep and the claim will be denied and you are still stuck months later with a broken whatever.

That is speaking from the viewpoint of a private individual shipping something and not a business that has engineered their packaging.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-21, 10:06 PM   #12
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

^ I had purchased a motorcycle fuel tank petcock from Amazon. It sat in the garage for a week or so. upon opening and installing it, I discovered it was a refurbished piece instead of the new unit I payed for. What's worse is that the unit not only flowed at a diminished rate, it also leaked.

I contacted Amazon who said they would correct the issue but never did. I'm thinking had I opted for insurance, it would have covered shipping and defects in the unit.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-21, 01:24 AM   #13
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I asked about fragile stickers once and the counter person said they treat every shipment as fragile. I interpret that now to mean it gets shipped just as badly as ever.

Many years ago I worked for UPS. We saw lots of boxes marked "fragile". They got thrown into the truck just like every other box. Sad, but true. The boxes don't stop coming down the line just because one has a different word written on it - and we had a deadline to meet. After all, you don't want your delivery to be late, do you?

Now - having said that - I have never had a problem with FedEx, UPS, DHL or any other carrier. Maybe I'm just lucky that way. (Lord knows I get enough bad luck.) Or maybe I just jinxed myself ...
Old 01-29-21, 09:06 AM   #14
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Due View Post

DHL is your better international company. My office uses DHL extensively. They do a fine job. FedEx is your best bet domestically(USA). I use FedEx quite a bit and without issues. UPS does a fine job as well. USPS? I would not have them transport my laundry let alone a package of any substance. USPS could not deliver a pizza to their own home.
Old 01-29-21, 09:12 AM   #15
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
I actually think adding insurance is a waste of money. You have to have the damage to the "box" before opening very well documented and the opening as well. Gee, it wasn't packed properly, etc. Once you see damage you file the claim and wait, and wait, and wait. Any misstep and the claim will be denied and you are still stuck months later with a broken whatever.

That is speaking from the viewpoint of a private individual shipping something and not a business that has engineered their packaging.
What is done is the claim is first denied(after months of filing, following up and waiting). This is the first step in frustrating the person in hopes they just go away. By and large the person gives up at this juncture. Now, if the claim is pursued after denial the item insured will be paid and usually a few cents per pound. The claimant gets nothing close to what the item value. If the shipper has a declared value and pays additional insurance, the same will apply. Decline, dodge, frustrate in hopes the person gives up.

I have been in the transportation business since 1993. Seen it all.