SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-18-19, 01:40 PM   #1
bsub
Swabbie

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Need some help

I haven't played any sub games in a few years, so I consider myself a beginner. How do I locate the convoy in Wolfpack. I know I must submerge a few feet, then listen on hydrophone. Then note the "noise" on the hydrophone and the bearing - then what - set rudder to where I heard the "noise". I have tried that, but have yet to sight any convoy.

Any help appreciated.
bsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 02:23 PM   #2
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

if you cant see them after you locate their sound direction, you need to surface and go full speed towards the direction you heard them. Wait 10-20 minutes, then repeat if you haven't spotted them yet.

If it's a single contact you can employ some advanced tricks figure out it's course and range by sound alone, but at the ranges you hear in these old boats its usually not necessary. The technique is mostly useless against a convoy as it requires you to track a specific sound contact at regular intervals over a long period of time.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-19, 04:23 PM   #3
bsub
Swabbie

Thanks - still no luck - I must be doing something wrong.
Hydrophone after 10 min is really loud - but I see nothing.
At night doesn't help either.
Old 03-18-19, 05:01 PM   #4
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
if you cant see them after you locate their sound direction, you need to surface and go full speed towards the direction you heard them. Wait 10-20 minutes, then repeat if you haven't spotted them yet.
That's the ticket.

Friend me on Steam - SUBSIM

I will gladly join your crew and see what I can do to help.
Old 03-19-19, 06:41 AM   #5
bech
Nub

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post

If it's a single contact you can employ some advanced tricks figure out it's course and range by sound alone, but at the ranges you hear in these old boats its usually not necessary. The technique is mostly useless against a convoy as it requires you to track a specific sound contact at regular intervals over a long period of time.
From an interest point: How do you determine range based on the hydrophone? Triangulation or what?
bech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-19, 12:39 PM   #6
bsub
Swabbie

Thanks all - finally got it.
Old 03-20-19, 10:42 AM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bech View Post
From an interest point: How do you determine range based on the hydrophone? Triangulation or what?
Search around in the Sillent Hunter sections for descriptions of Kuikueg's 4-bearing methods (he refined his technique to do it moving) or search generally for 3 or 4-bearing method. There are various way's to get target course, speed and position through bearings-only information. Even Youtube has a bunch of video's on the topic shown with Silent Hunter games. In sofar as I've seen videos of the recent release of Wolfpack I don't think there isn't anything holding you back to work this out in this game. Except for patience during multiplayer.

If you only need course or AOB then you can use this physical sliderule I made. It is also featured in various GUI mods of the last 3 Silent Hunter games.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147719

Last edited by Pisces; 03-20-19 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Corrected Kuikueg's name
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote