SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-23, 07:26 PM   #571
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0

Jim might have to give me spelling and grammar lession if i keep talking to the princess of wales on hangout and email don't want to give subsim a bad name lol
Old 03-18-23, 01:40 PM   #572
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Major blow for Jeremy Hunt as public do not back Tories on economy in wake of budget

Jeremy Hunt does not have the confidence of the public, a new poll has shown, with just 39 percent of people saying they back the Chancellor on the economy in the wake of his budget. A poll, conducted by Techne UK for the Daily Express, asked voters who they trust on the economy, between Rishi Sunak and Jeremy Hunt or Keir Starmer and Rachel Reeves.

Just 39 percent of people backed the Mr Sunak and Mr Hunt, 19 percent said they don't know, while 42 percent said they back Sir Keir and Ms Reeves.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...76e5a03e&ei=23

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-23, 01:42 PM   #573
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson has submitted evidence to MPs investigating whether he misled Parliament over Covid rule-breaking parties in Downing Street.

The former prime minister, who denies misleading MPs, wants his defence to be published as soon as possible.

The Privileges Committee said it was reviewing the material to make redactions before publication.

Mr Johnson will be questioned by the cross-party committee in a televised session on Wednesday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65012967

Old 03-21-23, 06:27 AM   #574
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The Lying King just never knows when it is best to shut up and move on.

Quote:
Boris Johnson told parliament that Covid rules had been followed “at all times” at No 10 parties without any explicit assurance from advisors, according to a new report.

The prime minister’s Partygate defence dossier – which includes a lengthy rebuttal of allegations that he lied to parliament – is set to be published by a cross-party committee of MPs.

It is expected to include a message from his then-communications director Jack Doyle offering him a “line to take” on gatherings ahead of telling MPs no guidance or rules had been broken.

But a Whitehall source told The Times that Mr Johnson had gone “off script” when he told the Commons on 8 December 2022: “The guidance was followed and the rules were followed at all times.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...93042a10&ei=14

Old 03-22-23, 06:37 AM   #575
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Two former prime ministers, Boris Johnson and Liz Truss, are to vote against Rishi Sunak's new Brexit deal for Northern Ireland in a debate later.

Mr Johnson said the deal would either mean Northern Ireland remained tied to the EU, or the UK would not be able to take advantage of Brexit.

Ms Truss believes it would not resolve issues with a deal Mr Johnson struck with the EU in 2019.

Other Brexit-backing Tories are also expected to oppose the deal.

The decision of two former PMs to oppose the deal may embolden Brexit-backing Conservative MPs to rebel against the government.

But Northern Ireland Minister Steve Baker denounced the pair, telling broadcasters he would tell them "they're both better than this".

Mr Johnson risks "looking like a pound shop Nigel Farage" by voting against the deal, he added.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65034260

Old 03-22-23, 10:30 AM   #576
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

MPs vote in favour of regulations to implement the Stormont Brake section of Rishi Sunak's Windsor Framework deal.

The deal aims to fix post-Brexit problems in Northern Ireland - the Stormont Brake gives Assembly members the chance to raise objections.

Despite dissent from his own MPs, the controversial part of the deal is approved by 515 votes to 29

Several high-profile Tory MPs said they would vote against it - Boris Johnson, Liz Truss, Jacob Rees-Mogg and Priti Patel among them.

The DUP did not support it - it has been boycotting the NI Assembly due to the current post-Brexit trading arrangements.

Members of a key group of Eurosceptic Tory MPs also advised members to vote against it.

Who are the 22 Tory rebels?

In the end, only 22 Tory MPs voted against the Stormont Brake, fewer than Rishi Sunak might have feared.

But there are some striking names on that list, which includes two ex-prime ministers, a former party leader and other recognisable names. See it in full below.

Adam Afriyie
Sir Jake Berry
Peter Bone
Sir William Cash
Sir Christopher Chope
Simon Clarke
Richard Drax
Sir James Duddridge
Sir Iain Duncan Smith
Mark Francois
Jonathan Gullis
Adam Holloway
Andrea Jenkyns
Boris Johnson
David Jones
Danny Kruger
Craig Mackinlay
Dr Matthew Offord
Priti Patel
John Redwood
Jacob Rees-Mogg
Liz Truss

They were joined in the voting lobbies by six DUP MPs and Andrew Bridgen, a suspended Tory who now sits as an independent.

The Stormont brake passed comfortably, but it's worth noting that without support from Labour and other opposition parties, the government would have lost the vote.

In the end, 48 Tory MPs didn't vote at all and only 280 - well below a parliamentary majority - positively voted with the government.

Old 03-23-23, 06:07 AM   #577
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson's political future hangs in balance.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65047566

Old 03-24-23, 07:05 AM   #578
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Further to the post above...

Watch the video in the link which is less than a minute long

Quote:
Question Time audience asked: Was Boris Johnson telling truth?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-65064708

Old 03-24-23, 10:19 AM   #579
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Bozo Johnson and most other politicians in Westminster wouldn't pass that Question Time test either, the House of Lords are in the same boat, or should it be the same "Trough" as well.
Old 03-24-23, 06:41 PM   #580
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

The "same trough" is well-filled, whatever your political position may be

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 08:12 AM   #581
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Now this is one subject I feel I can support my government on.

The Government is considering further steps to try and put a stop to illegal immigrants crossing the Channel on a daily basis.

The government's Illegal Migration Bill would ban anyone who enters the country illegally from claiming asylum on arrival - or in the future.

It would also create an annual cap on the number of refugees the UK will settle through "safe and legal routes", and impose a legal duty on the Home Secretary to swiftly detain and remove anyone who arrives illegally.

There are currently more than 51,000 people being housed in 395 hotels which costs around £6m a day.

Disused ferries are being considered to house people - but this has not been confirmed and former airbases in Lincolnshire and Essex are among sites being looked at.

More than 45,000 reached the UK via the dangerous route last year, up from around 300 in 2018.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65074419

Old 03-27-23, 07:46 AM   #582
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Now this is one subject I feel I can support my government on.
The Government is considering further steps to try and put a stop to illegal immigrants crossing the Channel on a daily basis. [...]
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65074419
The following texts are quoted

"3 deals later & these Tory muppets are still fighting the Brexit wars. After all what else can they do? They have destroyed the country so they will either blame refugees, the UN, the EU, the ECHR or the "establishment". They have no other proposition to offer for the worst-performing country in the G7. Inflation spiked again when everywhere else is going down, in the UK it is increasing further.

Right, so after the 3rd revision of the Brexit deal, this last iteration is still not good enough apparently, despite the fact that the US is passing a bill through the Senate that makes an FTA contingent to keeping the GFA and consequently the Brexit deal intact.
The ECHR is also baked into it because the EU has openly said that leaving the ECHR is a deal-breaker. Tory right-whingers want to leave the ECHR so they can proceed with the Rwanda plan to permanently remove all refugees from British soil. All 70k of them that arrived in the past 5 years. Because that is precisely what will solve British problems combined with hard-core anti-Europeanism."

^
"How is removing 70k Rwandans from England going to help the UK economically [...] ?
What is the average birth rate for English families by the way?
Don't you need more workers working in order to pay taxes to the UK?

Another wrote
"There is no way to make a Brexit deal that would be better than membership. So all the remakes of the deal are pointless at its core."

Re the 70,000 migrants in five years, i wonder how deporting them solves even one of the problems.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-23, 11:40 AM   #583
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Meanwhile, across he border, things look no better.

Quote:
The SNP haver a new leader in Humza Yousaf.

"Electoral suicide" The SNP's new leader Humza Yousaf, in the words of his own colleagues

Amid problems in Scotland's health service, a cost of living crisis and the SNP's failure to get the country any closer to independence, top of Humza Yousaf's to-do list will be unifying his party after a bitter leadership battle. Unfortunately for him, after weeks of infighting, his colleagues will have a hard time rowing back on attacks aimed at him and his record in government.

The most bitter attacks levelled at him came from his opponent Kate Forbes.

During one television debate, Mrs Forbes launched an astonishing attack on Mr Yousaf, accusing him of repeated failure in his various Scottish government jobs.

"Humza, you've had a number of jobs in government. When you were transport minister the trains were never on time. When you were justice minister, the police were strained to breaking point.

"And now as health minister, we've got record-high waiting times. What makes you think you can do a better job as First Minister?"

The attack by Kate Forbes was so brutal the Scottish Tories wrote a letter to her asking for permission to use the debate footage in a political attack ad.

His other opponent, Ash Regan, claimed the SNP membership exodus could continue if Mr Yousaf were to win.

Asked by STV whether she believed more members could leave if Humza Yousaf continued the party's "slow progress towards independence", she replied "I think that is possible".

She also attacked both her opponents' campaigns as "wishy washy".

Attacks on Mr Yousaf weren't limited to his two rivals, however.

MSP Christine Grahame accused the new SNP leader of being someone who "takes credit for others' work" and said he avoids taking responsibility for mistakes".

Mrs Grahame also said that, unlike her preferred candidate Kate Forbes, Mr Yousaf isn't respected across the chamber in Holyrood.

"I'll tell you something: she is respected in that parliament - across the chamber - in a way that Humza Yousaf is not"

Johanna Cherry MP also joined in with the attacks on Humza Yousaf, accusing him of having an unfair advantage because he had the "party machine" behind him.

"It's no secret that the party machine is behind Humza and not behind Kate and Ash. The majority of parliamentarians who have declared are behind Humza.

"We've already had a couple of cases of people wrongfully using the party's internal mailing system to support Humza."

Michelle Thompson MSP said a Humza Yousaf victory would be seen by members as "an establishment transfer of power - to carry on with the status quo - rather than allowing our membership the freedom to make a healthy democratic choice".

Mrs Thompson, who backed Kate Forbes, also tweeted that a victory by Mr Yousaf or Mrs Regan would lead to "accelerated decline" of the party.

Former SNP MSP Alex Neil said "the last thing the party needs is Continuity!"

He also tweeted, "If Humza wins seats like Airdrie and Shotts will go back to Labour" and warned it "would be electoral suicide for the SNP to vote for Humza".
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/oth...24358834&ei=22

Old 03-27-23, 12:07 PM   #584
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Yousaf is going to be both toe curlingly awful and highly entertaining in a car-crash-sort-of-way.

The main joke that's going around is that the potential partition of the UK will be negotiated between a British Indian and a British Pakistani.

The Empire Strikes Back indeed!

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
MGR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-23, 12:40 PM   #585
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I sincerely hope that does not happen....the British electorate are not that naive surely.