SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-20, 05:34 PM   #46
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

If you ask me all that, you ask the wrong one. Better ask David Lynch instead, he may encode his answer in another strange movie.
Old 01-25-20, 05:45 PM   #47
Skybird
Soaring

BTW:

Germany reports 13 thousand cases of influentia this season - and so far 32 deaths.

Puts it all into relation a bit. Corona is not our dominant virus problem.

And then there is the swines' influenza which does not kill people, but threatens lifestock across all Europe and now sits right before Germany's eastern borders. In China it led to the culling of over 50% of their lifestock (some mention even 80%). - (That is the real reason why the Chinese signed a deal with Trump on certain things. They would have done so anyway, since pig is a basic food in China.)
Old 01-25-20, 06:37 PM   #48
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I don't know how reliable this source is

Quote:
China installed the first of a planned five to seven biolabs designed for maximum safety in Wuhan in 2017, for the purpose of studying the most high-risk pathogens, including the Ebola and the SARS viruses.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s8YShw1gOfJpJo

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-20, 07:34 PM   #49
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon13

I hear the UK is still allowing three flights a week from Wuhan to land and what action is being taken? A leaflet handed to passengers! Keep calm we are useless oh my....Oops it's....

I have no faith in these jokers passing themselves off as the Government what ever the party in charge.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 12:43 AM   #50
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I'm not one to worry and I'm not being a chicken little, but ground zero is sounding quite serious

https://time.com/5771606/wuhan-car-b...g-coronavirus/

6,470 miles
San Francisco, CA → Wuhan, China

G]
I feel the same, I have no idea if this will become a world-changing event. It may not, but it certainly could. Someday the right combination of virus will come along and with the massive travel levels and the casual nature people have, reluctance to enforce effective quarantines, etc. the world will take a big hit.

Quote:
But, a medic has claimed China is lying and that as many as “100,000 people are infected”.

A harrowing voice message on a WhatsApp group has now emerged which suggests the outbreak is hundreds of times worse than official figures coming out of China suggest.

The audio was shared by Chinese news outlet Global Himalaya, who claimed it was sent from a member of the medical staff in Wuhan.

In a translation verified by Daily Star Online, a woman says: “I have been working all day long…The infection is much more horrible than it’s reported on TV.

“There are so many cases. Doctors have estimated about 100,000 infected.”
China reports 15 new coronavirus fatalities, total death toll now 56

Wuhan doctor treating coronavirus patients dies after contracting disease

Quote:
A Chinese doctor treating patients who contracted the coronavirus died after contracting the virus himself.

Liang Wudong, 62, died Saturday morning after he was infected with Wuhan coronavirus and admitted to the Wuhan Medical Treatment Center. Wudong was one of the top ear, nose, and throat doctors at the Hubei Provincial Hospital of Integrated Chinese & Western Medicine before he retired last year.
Hope this blows over... wash your hands and wear gloves!
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 04:26 AM   #51
Skybird
Soaring

During the SARS pandemic, lying was the preferred mode of communication of the Bejing mafia regime, so it should be expected that they do it again today. Due to the delay in information, measurements will be delayed as well. And more people will die.

Anyting goes in regimes like this. But it delays global reactions as well.

Well, its China, what else to say.
Old 01-26-20, 10:52 AM   #52
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Since we have several people with the virus in our own countries we no longer need wait on China for all the answers. So we got that going for us.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 11:52 AM   #53
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
During the SARS pandemic, lying was the preferred mode of communication of the Bejing mafia regime, so it should be expected that they do it again today. Due to the delay in information, measurements will be delayed as well. And more people will die.

Anyting goes in regimes like this. But it delays global reactions as well.

Well, its China, what else to say.
You know, this doesn't feel right.

https://www.ibtimes.sg/china-virus-c...-streets-38246

Edit: someone on Reddit nailed it
Quote:
It is completely hopeless in China. Millions of people left Wuhan in the days leading up to the lockdown to return home for CNY. If symptoms weren't showing up yet, they're scattered across China right now, slowly developing their symptoms as time goes on. There's only been a lockdown for four days, but the disease can incubate for two weeks.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 01-26-20 at 12:09 PM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 12:30 PM   #54
Skybird
Soaring

As to my best knowledge, this film gets the basics on the cons and pros of face masks right.

Best way to maximise your chances to stay healthy of course is not to move amongst people. But there might be times when you have no other option, if only for the purpose needing to go to the supermarket every couple of days. For the reasons given in the film, I recommend to use frame masks or half-masks or however they are being called. They usually have silikon rims that seal mouth and nose areas better than surgeon paper masks, and they have chnageable filters. If oyu do craftsman work, you probabaly have met them in any form during your working when handling paints or dissolavants, dusty material and such things. Just remember, you need better filters than that for craftsmen. FFP3 instead of FFP2 and FFP1.

These masks are not expensive, and are much more fail-safe to handle by people never having handled masks before. They still are relatively unobstrusive. You can wear glasses with them, to protect your eyes' mucosa as well.

Again, I recommend this model by Nanologix, its great advantage is that the soft thin silicon rim fits your face nicely, you really have to make it an effort to wear it in a way that unfiltered air from the side slips through. The filters can be exchanged. We talk about 20-25 coins for the frame and one FFP2 filter, and 8 coins per FFP3 filter.

The masks are used by police, firebrigades, emergency rescuers, government services in the Czech Republic and have been distributed to several EU authority offices and services as well.

Anyhow, something like this, instead of simple paper surgeon masks. You get the idea. BTW, they are pretty light.
Old 01-26-20, 01:15 PM   #55
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus#1

There is no vaccine for coronavirus.

To help prevent a coronavirus infection, do the same things you do to avoid the common cold:
Continue Reading Below
  • Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water or with an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Keep your hands and fingers away from your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are infected.
You treat a coronavirus infection the same way you treat a cold:
  • Get plenty of rest.
  • Drink fluids.
  • Take over-the-counter medicine for a sore throat and fever. But don't give aspirin to children or teens younger than 19; use ibuprofen or acetaminophen instead.
A humidifier or steamy shower can also help ease a sore and scratchy throat.
Even when a coronavirus causes MERS or SARS in other countries, the kind of coronavirus infection common in the U.S. isn't a serious threat for an otherwise healthy adult. If you get sick, treat your symptoms and contact a doctor if they get worse or don't go away.

Old 01-26-20, 02:56 PM   #56
Skybird
Soaring

All that is correct, Rockstar, and I mentioned it before. What it does not say, however, is the one fear, the one big risk, the one threat that media try to not mention too often:

The risk of the virus mutating into. Something. New.

That is was the underlaying risk of bird flu that drive them so crazy. Sars. Mers.
Old 01-26-20, 04:18 PM   #57
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

True, this not the everyday common cold type coronavirus. The one we are hearing about today '2019-nCoV I think is a new mutation.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-26-20 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-26-20, 04:24 PM   #58
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Some of you presented some percentage ratio of how many got sick and how many had died

Is or could this be correct ?

We do not know the exact numbers of people who have been sick from this Corona virus.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 04:54 PM   #59
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
True, this not the everyday common cold type coronavirus. The one we are hearing about today '2019-nCoV I think is a new mutation.
Yep. And like all biota those little bastards are subject to constant change. Nothing in evolution is static.

To our very good health!

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-20, 05:21 PM   #60
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
....Best way to maximise your chances to stay healthy of course is not to move amongst people....
I recommend killing yourself. You'll never get sick after that.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan