SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-02-09, 11:21 AM   #16
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiß Pinguin View Post
I have to say, I don't think I've ever experienced this. Then again I've rarely manned the guns in marginal weather, and I usually let the AI crew man the cannons. (There's just something godlike about sitting in the conning tower pretending to direct your guncrew )

I know that's not very helpful, but I just thought it was really interesting that so many others had seen this and I hadn't. If you let the guncrew work the cannon, do they still fire far left/right of the target?
Only if you are playing GWX then their settings will cause the gun to miss more often
the only way you will see what we are talking about is if you look through the gun sights yourself
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 11:33 AM   #17
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

My apologies for apparently misunderstanding, guys. (It wasn't my intention to come across sounding 'angry' or anything like that.)

You are correct that the modifications we made to the guns were minimal and very conservative.

Is this issue consistent?

Can anyone post the bearing angles (from the bow in degrees to port or starboard) that the problem seems to be worst? (Also, noting the bearing angles at which the problem seems to be least, may also be helpful.)

I don't know what I'd be able to do about it... if anything at all, but maybe someday an idea will land on my desk.

Finding the time for anything extra these days is rather tough.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 11:48 AM   #18
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

AHHH!!! Now I think I understand. (Text conversation is so limited in capability. It was my impression that the actual accuracy of the gun was the issue... when the matter appears to relate only to the view through the sights being wonky in some situations.)

SeaWolf-U57 hit the note I needed to hear... because there is a close comparison available as he pointed out.

As SeaWolf-U57 pointed out with the binoculars: "its a bit like when you look through the Binoculars and then return to normal veiw the Horizon is also off-set "

Sometimes when you are on the bridge and you are looking through your binoculars at various objects, scanning the horizon etc... when you return to normal view looking straight ahead... you may sometimes see the the horizon is stuck at a wierd angle. (As if someone just broke your neck!)

The way to correct that is to left click on your bridge officer and then right click... BANG the horizon and default bridge view is back to normal.

Possible solution: When your gunsights apear to be offset, pop onto the bridge, left click on your bridge officer and then right click away from him.

Theoretically when you return to the deck gun, the view should be corrected.

(It would seem to be adviseable to avoid targetting objects at extreme limits of azimuths/bearings to the deck gun... as it appears that camera angle limits apparently don't match perfectly with the deck gun's full range of motion.)

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 11:59 AM   #19
SeaWolf U-57
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 92

I must admit I never tried that as all I did was allow a two -four degree off-set of what the sight is saying to make a hit.
it happens now and then and with any type of U-boat just like the Horizon thing and no doubt when you want it to happen it wont
SeaWolf U-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 12:35 PM   #20
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freiwillige View Post
Yes if you are in rough sea's (As rough as you can and still man deck gun) or if your decks awash and you are rotating your gun to the target. Then when ever a wave washes over the bow the gun stops for X amount of seconds than continues till aimed at target.

Now here is the underlying issue. The gun stops do to the wave issue but the sight keeps calculating the turn as if it was separate.

So if the gun stops .5 seconds the sight is off .5 seconds to the right. And remains that way till next patrol.

Its hard to explain but it is as I said. Ive tested it. Best bet is to let the crew man the gun if the waves are choppy.
I think you've hit the nail squarely on the head.....this phenomena has long been an issue, but sadly an issue that has never been resolved.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 12:58 PM   #21
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

Has it always been an issue?

I don't remember it in the early days.
Old 11-02-09, 01:17 PM   #22
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 4

I can't say that I have ever experienced the bridge view issue. In fact, I am nearly positive I have never heard of it before. I will try the officer clicking trick and see what that does. I'll report the results of course. I can also play with the degrees of rotation and report on that too.

@Jimbuna: I can confirm with out any doubt that in WSM my gun has never had any trouble rotating while I was manning it. This makes sense when you consider that the guns operate in any weather and are far above the water level. This being the case, I think it makes it difficult for the bad weather issue to be the entire problem.
Commander Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 02:28 PM   #23
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

Yeah I know of this problem. I thought everybody did. I believe I have had it in stock game. Hard to remember though

Super annoying, when it happens I just let the ai shoot for the rest of the patrol. I kinda preferred letting them do their job anyway.

Definitely gotta try that clicking on the watch guy thing..
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 02:42 PM   #24
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

I have to say, there are few things sweeter than nailing those annoying torpedo boats with guns the size of their boat. I just love that.
Old 11-02-09, 03:21 PM   #25
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

I know of this bug. It is where the sight is off afiew degrees to the left or right when aiming...
Old 11-03-09, 01:07 AM   #26
Mopy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
Possible solution: When your gunsights apear to be offset, pop onto the bridge, left click on your bridge officer and then right click away from him.

Theoretically when you return to the deck gun, the view should be corrected.
Thanks for the idea, I'll give that a shot on the next patrol Oddly I've never seen the Binocular equivalent occur.
Mopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 09:44 AM   #27
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

After some basic testing on my last patrol, I can say that the officer click trick did not effect my problem in any way.

What is more, the gun's offset was not there when rotated directly to towards the bow but was largest when the gun was rotated 90 degrees port or starboard.

Could the issue be solely camera related? Perhaps it can be fixed by playing with the zoomed camera data?

The issue could also be caused by the player manning the gun while the crew is rotating to a target. Perhaps the data just doesn't update fast enough and leaves you with an offset when you click into the gun view?
Old 11-05-09, 01:32 PM   #28
GrumpySub
Swabbie

Downloads: 39

Undoubtably way besides the point in terms of this thread, but for what it's worth I've always found firing the deck gun from the fully zoomed out view far more preferable anyway. Not only does it mean that you have to get much closer to your target before opening fire, but you can also use the u-boat's natural port-starboard and up-down rocking and bobbing motion to score hits below the target's waterline, by timing your shot as the barrel dips down.
GrumpySub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 02:12 PM   #29
Commander Gizmo
Watch Officer

You have a great point there, and I use that same method quite often. But unfortunately most of my targets are shooting back. I especially find approaching battleships rather difficult in my destroyer.
Old 11-05-09, 02:47 PM   #30
GrumpySub
Swabbie

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Gizmo View Post
You have a great point there, and I use that same method quite often. But unfortunately most of my targets are shooting back. I especially find approaching battleships rather difficult in my destroyer.
Isn't it u-boat fighting tactics 101 never to engage in a surface gunnery duel with a target that can shoot back?
GrumpySub is offline   Reply With Quote