SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-30-19, 10:38 AM   #1576
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default RESOLVED--fast installation of NYGM with HSIE patch

Greetings Team,

This post is an unconventional method for getting your NYGM with the HSIE patch, up and running and out on patrol in fast method.

Background. I have been playing Silent Hunter 3 since April of 2016. That would still be junior status compared to some of you.

I love this game yet don't have a lot of real life time to do coding, modding fixes. Thus the time I have I like to be out on patrol.

I have a lot of hours in playing Silent Hunter III in full "realism" mode. I have only played GWX3 and NYGM mods.

I take full responsibility for my inability to get the HSIE patch and its follow on upgrades integrated. It isn't for a lack of trying, re-reading specific published instructions and trying again from scratch. I just have never been able to get the HSIE patch to integrate with my system.

I am a Windows 10 user and get my Silent Hunter III via Steam. I suspect this is part of my difficulty and I may just have to someday get a proper Silent Hunter III DVD and do everything that way. However that takes time I don't really have.

So, I stumbled on a way that gets NYGM up with HSIE in a fast and reliable way given my configuration. This works for me yet I can't claim it will work with you. Use at your own risk. The root of the process uses a really great mod, Living Silent Hunter 3 2015 as a stalking horse.

So here are the steps that worked for me.

1. Install Steam on your Windows 10 PC.
2. Buy/Install Silent Hunter III via Steam.
3. Once the install is done, copy the full Silent Hunter III folder to a new folder you have created on your C drive. Example, C:\NYGM
4. Copy the full contents of your Living Silent Hunter3 2015 install files into this folder.
5. Run the install for Living Silent Hunter.
6. Once done, open up the MODS folder that LSH3 2015 created.
7. Create a folder called LSH and put all of the LSH3 2015 packages in that folder minus the _LSH3-2015__Patch_HSIE-V16B1
8. Put into the Mods folder all of your favorite NYGM packages.
9. Out in the root SH3 install. Delete the folder that has all of your Silent Hunter 3 Commander content.
10. Install the classic Silent Hunter Commander program that would work normally with NYGM.
11. Activate your JSGME packages as per NYGM requirements.
12. Arrange your shortcuts in a space you like for your Silent Hunter 3 (now called LSH3 2015 Start), JSGME (now called LSH3 2015 JSGME), SH3 Commander, and your LSH3 2015 HSIE Options.
13. Set original Exe files that the Shortcuts point to in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and to Launch as Administrator.
14. For the HSIE Options selector, only use it when your JSGME HSIE package is deactivated.
15. Of course in your Mod Soup, _LSH3-2015__Patch_HSIE-V16B1 should be activated with JSGME, last.
16. Deactivate Steam if necessary. You will not be involving Steam anyway as you will be launching your NYGM setup via the root of the folder in C drive you created.

Yes, this is:

1. An ugly way to do this.
2. It is fast with minimal hassle.
3. In the spirit of things falls into a useful fidelity with the creators of Silent Hunter III: you did purchase it.

I want to personally thank NYGM for creating such a wonderful product. It is fun and fills it what would be golf time or bass boat time for other people in a really rewarding way.

This is my first time using the HSIE patch. Using NYGM with the HSIE add on is amazing. I like the watch officer posting properly and the Oxygen management to mention a few.

My JSGME setup. That LSH on the left is a folder with all installed Living Silent Hunter 3 2015 packages that are not used.

My desktop shortcuts (ignore the 4th one, an unrelated text file).

My HSIE Options when you open it. However note, I am still learning what I should use.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 09-30-19 at 10:51 AM.
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 01:34 PM   #1577
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
Greetings Team,

This post is an unconventional method for getting your NYGM with the HSIE patch, up and running and out on patrol in fast method.

Background. I have been playing Silent Hunter 3 since April of 2016. That would still be junior status compared to some of you.

I love this game yet don't have a lot of real life time to do coding, modding fixes. Thus the time I have I like to be out on patrol.

I have a lot of hours in playing Silent Hunter III in full "realism" mode. I have only played GWX3 and NYGM mods.

I take full responsibility for my inability to get the HSIE patch and its follow on upgrades integrated. It isn't for a lack of trying, re-reading specific published instructions and trying again from scratch. I just have never been able to get the HSIE patch to integrate with my system.

I am a Windows 10 user and get my Silent Hunter III via Steam. I suspect this is part of my difficulty and I may just have to someday get a proper Silent Hunter III DVD and do everything that way. However that takes time I don't really have.

So, I stumbled on a way that gets NYGM up with HSIE in a fast and reliable way given my configuration. This works for me yet I can't claim it will work with you. Use at your own risk. The root of the process uses a really great mod, Living Silent Hunter 3 2015 as a stalking horse.

So here are the steps that worked for me.

1. Install Steam on your Windows 10 PC.
2. Buy/Install Silent Hunter III via Steam.
3. Once the install is done, copy the full Silent Hunter III folder to a new folder you have created on your C drive. Example, C:\NYGM
4. Copy the full contents of your Living Silent Hunter3 2015 install files into this folder.
5. Run the install for Living Silent Hunter.
6. Once done, open up the MODS folder that LSH3 2015 created.
7. Create a folder called LSH and put all of the LSH3 2015 packages in that folder minus the _LSH3-2015__Patch_HSIE-V16B1
8. Put into the Mods folder all of your favorite NYGM packages.
9. Out in the root SH3 install. Delete the folder that has all of your Silent Hunter 3 Commander content.
10. Install the classic Silent Hunter Commander program that would work normally with NYGM.
11. Activate your JSGME packages as per NYGM requirements.
12. Arrange your shortcuts in a space you like for your Silent Hunter 3 (now called LSH3 2015 Start), JSGME (now called LSH3 2015 JSGME), SH3 Commander, and your LSH3 2015 HSIE Options.
13. Set original Exe files that the Shortcuts point to in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and to Launch as Administrator.
14. For the HSIE Options selector, only use it when your JSGME HSIE package is deactivated.
15. Of course in your Mod Soup, _LSH3-2015__Patch_HSIE-V16B1 should be activated with JSGME, last.
16. Deactivate Steam if necessary. You will not be involving Steam anyway as you will be launching your NYGM setup via the root of the folder in C drive you created.

Yes, this is:

1. An ugly way to do this.
2. It is fast with minimal hassle.
3. In the spirit of things falls into a useful fidelity with the creators of Silent Hunter III: you did purchase it.

I want to personally thank NYGM for creating such a wonderful product. It is fun and fills it what would be golf time or bass boat time for other people in a really rewarding way.

This is my first time using the HSIE patch. Using NYGM with the HSIE add on is amazing. I like the watch officer posting properly and the Oxygen management to mention a few.

My JSGME setup. That LSH on the left is a folder with all installed Living Silent Hunter 3 2015 packages that are not used.

My desktop shortcuts (ignore the 4th one, an unrelated text file).

My HSIE Options when you open it. However note, I am still learning what I should use.

Nice job ! Regarding the O2 settings, I believe the thought is that the oxygen should be set at 3, and the compressed at 1 for best results.
Some also recommend NOT using the Hsie realistic repairs option when using his patch with NYGM. Said to cause ctds. But I have been using it for awhile now with no problems, and prefer it's damage model to the NYGM one.
Old 09-30-19, 03:44 PM   #1578
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

The O2 thing should be interesting. With the variety of square cubic area of the different boat types and growing crew sizes as the war went on.

Good to hear from yourself being one of the "old hands". Thanks!!!

A side note: this really started when I was unsuccessful at getting LSH3 2015 going. CTD when selecting campaign, museum etc. Even after following its' strict instructions and a few tries. So I put that also in the "too hard" category for now and will reattack that someday when I get a proper SHIII DVD as opposed to the current Steam thingy.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-19, 06:33 PM   #1579
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoz View Post
The O2 thing should be interesting. With the variety of square cubic area of the different boat types and growing crew sizes as the war went on.

Good to hear from yourself being one of the "old hands". Thanks!!!

A side note: this really started when I was unsuccessful at getting LSH3 2015 going. CTD when selecting campaign, museum etc. Even after following its' strict instructions and a few tries. So I put that also in the "too hard" category for now and will reattack that someday when I get a proper SHIII DVD as opposed to the current Steam thingy.

Yeah, no first hand experience but I believe the Steam version can be a headache at times.
Old 10-01-19, 10:56 AM   #1580
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Nice job ! Regarding the O2 settings, I believe the thought is that the oxygen should be set at 3, and the compressed at 1 for best results.
Some also recommend NOT using the Hsie realistic repairs option when using his patch with NYGM. Said to cause ctds. But I have been using it for awhile now with no problems, and prefer it's damage model to the NYGM one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
I’ve carried out further tests with SH3, and I consider that values of 3.5 (renewable supply) and 1.0 (non-renewable supply, bottled oxygen) should now be recommended. Maximum permitted underwater times (before use of oxygen tank) with these values (full crew, not silent-running) measured in SH3 thus:
Type II: 21 hours; Type VII 23.5 hours; Type IX 28.5 hours; Type XXI 29.75 hours.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...83&postcount=1
3.5 & 1
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 11:16 AM   #1581
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
Thanks for the O2 link Anvar. Regarding the diesel damage option, I used to use it but feel it's to easy to damage them with it and it happens to quickly; few times I couldn't even decrease power in time.
Old 10-04-19, 05:40 PM   #1582
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

For the first time I decided to try a Type XXI career in NYGM-6F. When starting got an error message that the Main Pump was destroyed and the command room showed red although no pump is listed in that compartment.

A Forum search disclosed this issue has been reported before with the fix as:
Quote:
NYGM Zones.cfg may be replaced through TDW_Ejecting_Pilots.
I have no idea what this means and without context it is just gibberish. A viewing of the Zones.cfg and comparing with the same file in GWX3 file does not indicate that any particular pump related entry is incorrect or missing. So what is a TDW_Ejecting_Pilots and what does it have to do with pumps not being destroyed on starting a Type XXI career?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-19, 06:37 PM   #1583
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
For the first time I decided to try a Type XXI career in NYGM-6F. When starting got an error message that the Main Pump was destroyed and the command room showed red although no pump is listed in that compartment.

A Forum search disclosed this issue has been reported before with the fix as:

I have no idea what this means and without context it is just gibberish. A viewing of the Zones.cfg and comparing with the same file in GWX3 file does not indicate that any particular pump related entry is incorrect or missing. So what is a TDW_Ejecting_Pilots and what does it have to do with pumps not being destroyed on starting a Type XXI career?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-C
TDW_Ejecting_Pilots is a mod by The Dark Wraith. I've never bothered with the XXI, so not sure of problem details/solutions.
Old 10-04-19, 10:47 PM   #1584
Randomizer
Watch Officer

@John Pancoast,
Thanks, did some edits to the zones.cfg file and sorted the problem out. Had no intention of downloading yet another mod to fix issues apparently dating from NYGM v2.5.

All seems to work as intended now.

-C
Old 10-05-19, 07:01 AM   #1585
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
did some edits to the zones.cfg file and sorted the problem out.
Write specifically that you changed.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 12:39 PM   #1586
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Copied the values from the GWX3 Zones.cfg for the PumpsXXI entry into the same paragraph in the NYGM-6F Zones.cfg file and the problem went away. The only exception was no change was made to the line:

father=32

The value in GWX3 is father=30 but since I have no idea what the entry is in reference to, it seemed prudent not to arbitrarily change it. The other values like armor or flooding provide some clues as to what the values represent and so it was easier to edit them.

Am going to continue the career to see if any unintended consequences of the changes show up.

-C
Old 10-13-19, 01:59 PM   #1587
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29

@Randomizer:
"For the first time I decided to try a Type XXI career in NYGM-6F. When starting got an error message that the Main Pump was destroyed and the command room showed red although no pump is listed in that compartment."

Your basic.cfg file is at fault, probably by addition of non-NYGM mods. The basic NYGM set-up does not show the problem you mention above.
Search in basic.cfg for '[submarine3]' - this is the type XXI U-boat. Search for the line '117=7', which is a reference to zones.cfg. Comment out this line, eg place a ';;' in front of it.

The following lines in basic.cfg should also be commented out:
;;subs410=Main Pump
;;Main pump=7
;;TimeRecovery410=1

In zones.cfg, we have line '117=PumpsXXI', but there is no need to alter zones.cfg at all.

I hope that helps,
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-19, 05:34 PM   #1588
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Thanks for this; made the suggested edits, restored the zone.cfg to its NYGM stock and all works as advertised in a new Type-XXI career. The issue was the necessary edits were not in the Basic.cfg file found in the FuMB37 mod but are present in the FuMB37XXIIINYGM mod, the latter being incompatible with a Type-XXI career and not activated.

You have done great service to the SH3 community with your mods for the game so a public thanks from here is overdue. That and I appreciate your taking the time to offer a fix.

Last question concerns Allied air cover in NYGM3_6F. My last Type-VII career in June 1944 ended badly but not before I managed to sail on the surface from Bergen to Rockall without once having to dive to avoid an air attack and in generally good weather. This new XXI career and 48-hours in with Lerwick bearing NNE about 300km and not a single aircraft has appeared to disturb my surface transit. This despite wonderfully clear late summer conditions on the Norwegian Sea. It's almost like one might expect in September 1939 and not 1944! Should I not be seeing more planes?

PS - I understand that SH3 may have a glitch where TC > x516 causes aircraft to disappear so at no time does TC exceed x256 when I play the game.

PPS - The last mod that overwrites the files in the Campaign folder is NYGM3_6F and I have edited none of those files.

Thanks again for your work and thanks in advance for any insights on where Coastal Command might be hiding.

-C
Old 10-13-19, 09:17 PM   #1589
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for this; made the suggested edits, restored the zone.cfg to its NYGM stock and all works as advertised in a new Type-XXI career. The issue was the necessary edits were not in the Basic.cfg file found in the FuMB37 mod but are present in the FuMB37XXIIINYGM mod, the latter being incompatible with a Type-XXI career and not activated.

You have done great service to the SH3 community with your mods for the game so a public thanks from here is overdue. That and I appreciate your taking the time to offer a fix.

Last question concerns Allied air cover in NYGM3_6F. My last Type-VII career in June 1944 ended badly but not before I managed to sail on the surface from Bergen to Rockall without once having to dive to avoid an air attack and in generally good weather. This new XXI career and 48-hours in with Lerwick bearing NNE about 300km and not a single aircraft has appeared to disturb my surface transit. This despite wonderfully clear late summer conditions on the Norwegian Sea. It's almost like one might expect in September 1939 and not 1944! Should I not be seeing more planes?

PS - I understand that SH3 may have a glitch where TC > x516 causes aircraft to disappear so at no time does TC exceed x256 when I play the game.

PPS - The last mod that overwrites the files in the Campaign folder is NYGM3_6F and I have edited none of those files.

Thanks again for your work and thanks in advance for any insights on where Coastal Command might be hiding.

-C

Randomizer, fwiw, I get plenty of aircraft in NYGM. But I never go above 128x tc.

From what I've read 256 shouldn't be a problem either, but anyway.
Old 10-14-19, 12:59 AM   #1590
Randomizer
Watch Officer

I do as well, in one early 1943 career it took over five game-days just to get out of the Bay of Biscay because of the frequency of the air attacks but not, it seems, during 1944 in NORLANT or the Norwegian Sea...

-C

Tags
torpedos through hull