SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-21, 09:03 PM   #2356
Roebuck
Swabbie

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
The U-139 class may not be included, but aside from that there are plans for all the other subs you mentioned.

There will be both enemy and friendly AI subs, with torpedoes.

The main backer and I are trying for a holiday 2021 release! Cannot confirm, but certain things have been going very well and helped the mod along. One main boost is that the roster of high poly battleships and battlecruisers is complete.
Good to hear! Any new subs added to the roster? I think I may have seen something about a sub not mentioned in the original list but I don't remember.
Roebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-21, 09:20 PM   #2357
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
Good to hear! Any new subs added to the roster? I think I may have seen something about a sub not mentioned in the original list but I don't remember.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=2351

That info is listed there in that post.

M. M.

Old 05-19-21, 02:04 PM   #2358
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Yes! Night surface attacks became very common from 1917 -1918. According to Labourdette:

"From 1917 onwards, [daylight] torpedo attacks became rarer and were replaced with night attacks or at daybreak. On a dark night, the U-Boote operated on the surface or half submerged using direct sights and not the periscope, giving them an incontestable advantage over surface ships. At the end of September 1917, the British Admiralty wrote in its report:

"It is obvious that, despite a widespread feeling on ships carrying personnel or goods, the night does not bring safety against the German submarine threat. Our protective measures need to be as complete at night time as they are during the day. It is because these measures are not put into practice with all the care that they require that the success rate of U-Boote night attacks is 75% whereas in the day it drops to 50%."

This is a major reason why U-Boat warfare escalated and became much more deadly after 1916. From 1914 - 1916 there was still a pretty substantial effort to stick to the Prize Rules - boarding & investigating merchantmen in daylight, and allowing time to abandon ship if a ship was carrying supplies for the Entente war effort.

By 1917, U-Boat commanders and the Kaiserliche Marine were frustrated with defensive measures that made it more risky for submarines - thousands more merchantmen were armed, and several U-Boats had been sunk by Q-Ships while trying to play "by the rules" and give warning before attack. Thus, in the vicious Spring 1917 U-Boat offensive, attacks without warning became more common. And thus the death toll increased - if you check statistics from that date you will see more Allied merchant ship sinkings with heavy loss of life, or even with no survivors, because unrestricted torpedoings in the warzone were more acceptable to Germany.

Re: TBT - the most closely analogous thing was a primitive "computer" utilizing slide rulers to "lead" close range torpedo shots. Unfortunately I do not have any images of it:

http://www.subsim.site/phpBB_archive...ic.php?t=46289

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-21, 08:31 PM   #2359
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Figured you may enjoy this, story of WW I battle between US sub and a U Boat. First confirmed sinking of a submarine by a USN ship in history.

Old 06-01-21, 01:31 PM   #2360
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Sort of bad news, I had a leave request turned down! Not to worry, the bosses still owe me a lot of time off work, so I will keep perstering ppl until I get to take some vacation! And of course vacation = modding! One important task recently performed - backing up ships to my online storage. So now if my computer is destroyed all the most important files for the mod will be saved.

Also been doing tremendous work with higher-detailed crew for ships, as the stock SH4 non-player ship crew look dated....now, AI ships will have crew based on the submarine crew models, with better heads and faces. I did frame rate tests and was satisfied it won't be a big burden.

Lastly, been starting work again on player units - collecting images of subs especially the big U-139 cruiser type. More images later....!

And thank u for that movie Bubblehead! Lots that I didn't know about that incident, although I had read briefly about it before.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 03:58 PM   #2361
Xall
Mate

Downloads: 137
Icon14

Just a huge thank you to iambecomelife and to everyone else helping making mod, its really incredible how much passion is going into it, and how long its been in development, thats some real dedication right there.

I really admire such work ethics, even doing as far as taking a vacation to mod more...

Its difficult to comprehend at times that there are people like this out there, and I can relate as a fellow modder of how difficult it can be sticking to a project for a while, and its been over a decade now.

I wish you the best, good health and a smooth gong forward with the project.
Watch out for Burn outs, they are the worst,

I will continue to follow with excitement of the development of this mod and of course to its eventual release.

Xall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 07:20 PM   #2362
TitanicThomas
Swabbie

Downloads: 51
Icon1

So as I guess we slowly reach the end date of the release a few questions as a big fan of naval warfare in ww1 are kinda in my mind.

1) As I know Lusitania is a ship that has a model... without really searching the 158 pages of the forum are we going to see other big ships of the time? Britannic, Olympic, Mauritania, Leviathan, etc. Or event he smaller ships that have a interesting history such as those of Carpathia who met her end in the war.

2) This is more of a long shot and more of a situation of... I have not read much into this mod but is this a dynamic campaign or something similar to that of Silent hunters 4... I honestly dont mod so I dont know if SH4 can support a Dynamic Campaign where you cant sink the same ship more than it exist.

3) Just a general send off to this post. Good work so far as I can see. I think the mod will turn out great. So keep it up.
TitanicThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 08:29 PM   #2363
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicThomas View Post
So as I guess we slowly reach the end date of the release a few questions as a big fan of naval warfare in ww1 are kinda in my mind.

1) As I know Lusitania is a ship that has a model... without really searching the 158 pages of the forum are we going to see other big ships of the time? Britannic, Olympic, Mauritania, Leviathan, etc. Or event he smaller ships that have a interesting history such as those of Carpathia who met her end in the war.

2) This is more of a long shot and more of a situation of... I have not read much into this mod but is this a dynamic campaign or something similar to that of Silent hunters 4... I honestly dont mod so I dont know if SH4 can support a Dynamic Campaign where you cant sink the same ship more than it exist.

3) Just a general send off to this post. Good work so far as I can see. I think the mod will turn out great. So keep it up.
Unfortunately due to time constraints liners other than Lusitania are a long shot. There will be several typical looking liners with 1-4 smokestacks, but probably not Olympic, Leviathan, Britannic, & Carpathia in the initial release. Possibly Mauretania because she can be designed quickly, using my Lusitania as a base.

Ships will stop spawning once they were destroyed historically - for instance no Lusitania after May 7, 1915, and no Invincible after May 31, 1916. I can add mini-mods via JSGME to stop famous ships from respawning when you sink them (if there is enough interest).
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-21, 10:51 PM   #2364
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanicThomas View Post

Quote:
Unfortunately due to time constraints liners other than Lusitania are a long shot. There will be several typical looking liners with 1-4 smokestacks, but probably not Olympic, Leviathan, Britannic, & Carpathia in the initial release. Possibly Mauretania because she can be designed quickly, using my Lusitania as a base.

Ships will stop spawning once they were destroyed historically - for instance no Lusitania after May 7, 1915, and no Invincible after May 31, 1916. I can add mini-mods via JSGME to stop famous ships from respawning when you sink them (if there is enough interest).
Yes, I for 1, would definitely be interested in a mini mod, that would stop famous ships, from respawning.. when you sink them.

With general merchants, that would be understandable for them to be reused more than once. Knowing that there were a multitude of more than 1 being made.. but when it comes to like, liners not so much the case. Same with BB's, CV's, basically warships... since there were more than 1 of them built of the same class design.

That's understandable...

That was 1 bone of contention that drove Me batty, with SH3... of known famous ships respawning... knowing full well that after a time when the most famous of these sank & was known to have.. & having them show up, time & time again, well after their demise. The most grievous of this happening would be warships, followed by certain liner ships.. that I know of.

So anything that can be down to limit those ships from rising from the dead like.. a zombie, would be greatly appreciated IABL... if there is something you know of that can be used to short circuit that from happening...

No pressure, just putting out there, a respectful request if you know of a way to stop that... please include it. Thanks.

Am still looking forward to the release of your hard work & effort with WW I sub warfare mega mod for SH4...

M. M.

Old 07-01-21, 02:07 PM   #2365
TitanicThomas
Swabbie

Downloads: 51
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Yes, I for 1, would definitely be interested in a mini mod, that would stop famous ships, from respawning.. when you sink them.

With general merchants, that would be understandable for them to be reused more than once. Knowing that there were a multitude of more than 1 being made.. but when it comes to like, liners not so much the case. Same with BB's, CV's, basically warships... since there were more than 1 of them built of the same class design.

That's understandable...

That was 1 bone of contention that drove Me batty, with SH3... of known famous ships respawning... knowing full well that after a time when the most famous of these sank & was known to have.. & having them show up, time & time again, well after their demise. The most grievous of this happening would be warships, followed by certain liner ships.. that I know of.

So anything that can be down to limit those ships from rising from the dead like.. a zombie, would be greatly appreciated IABL... if there is something you know of that can be used to short circuit that from happening...

No pressure, just putting out there, a respectful request if you know of a way to stop that... please include it. Thanks.

Am still looking forward to the release of your hard work & effort with WW I sub warfare mega mod for SH4...

M. M.

Quote:

I would love a side mod that would prevent famous ships from respawning after they sink.

I asked this as I am coming from FotRS where I sunk Akagi yet she seemed to suddenly respawn a month later and really threw me off.

On the topic of Other ships I can understand that one. I only asked on Titanic's sisters in the war as both are famous in their own rights, Britannic being the largest ship sunk in the war, and Olympic being a troop transport who on record rammed at least to my knowledge rammed 1 sub that I can confirm. U-103. But yeah if your pressed for time dont push yourself... if the mod is fun on release thats all that should matter. Adding things over time is always a option.

Keep up the good work
TitanicThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-21, 01:04 AM   #2366
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Old 07-25-21, 04:18 PM   #2367
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2

The above was an excellent episode -- wonder if it would be repeated once 'Wolves of the Kaiser' is launched.

Probably as it seems like the deck gun was a Uboat skippers favorite weapon during WWI (see de la Perière's )exploits.
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-21, 07:21 AM   #2368
kongovsfuso142
Torpedoman

Downloads: 863

Any Idea when this mod will be out to play.

Thank You.

Kongo.
Old 07-29-21, 01:35 PM   #2369
Roebuck
Swabbie

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongovsfuso142 View Post

Thank You.

Kongo.
I believe he said the mod has a planned release around the holidays this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Roebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-21, 02:30 PM   #2370
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongovsfuso142 View Post

Thank You.

Kongo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
I believe he said the mod has a planned release around the holidays this year. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe the general plan was, with having some off time from work aka vacation and was hoping to look to the end(?) of spring maybe early summer to be able to put it out there... & as memory serves, IABL ran into issues with getting time off or had to delay the timeframe they wanted to get some time away from work.

So, with that info in hand, can figure unless they get some time off to do so, will probably be maybe closer to the end of the year... again, maybe.

Best advice I can give.. is to just have some patience... as modding does take time to do & there may be times of things not working as they should or were planned to, a misstep with coding, which can cause all sorts of issues from the mildly irritating & amusing to making 1 want to snatch themselves bald not knowing what went south & finally having an.. 'ahhh haa' moment of clarity & figuring out the cause of all the grief previously gone through.

Just know that IABL, will release it when it's baked & ready to be served up..

Thanks for all your hard work & love put into this project, Iambecomelife... & to all modders. know that from Me, it is... appreciated.

M. M.