SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-21, 10:13 PM   #1
pensioned
Watch

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default Istalling SH 4.14 Question

I had to get windows 10 reinstalled and I am now reinstalling all my programs. I installed sh4 from my DVD and I am trying to upgrade to patch 4.14. I have downloaded the patch from the patch link on your downloads section and the install instructions on this website say to run the installation file for the patch but the download link only list different patch exe file....I dl silent hunter 4.14 exe file.....no install file. Am I missing something. Also mention just renamed the original exe and dropped in the patch exe and the windows User Acount Control program is blocking the game from running. I tried run as Admin, run with different compatibility choices with the same negative result plus some other possibile fixes that I found from searching.

Thanks for any help.
pensioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-21, 08:11 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

First of all, be sure that you install the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs that came with the disk install. You don't need the "Game Shadow" or "Adobe Acrobat" installs. If you plan on modding the game, don't install it in a "Program Files" folder, but rather in a folder that you create. One way around that is that when the install folder dialog comes up on the install, is to delete the "Program Files (x86)" portion of the patch, and just use "C:\Ubisoft \Silent Hunter 4..." for the install. The "Program Files" folders are 'protected' by Windows, and will make any changes in the game rather difficult, including possibly blocking your attempts at patching to v1.4...

In addition to that, a DVD install will sometimes leave the files in the game's install folder "Write-protected". With File Manager or This PC or whichever app open, navigate into the game folder where the SH4.exe file is located, and press and hold the <Ctrl> key, and then press the <A> key, and that should select all of the files in the folder. Right-click anywhere in the selected filenames area, From the resultant context menu, choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list. That will open to the "General" tab. The bottom section of that little window is the "Attributes" section. Make certain the "Read-only" tick box is cleared, and then choose the "OK" button. You should get another little pop-up, and select the "Apply to selected items, subfolders and files" is selected, and then press "OK" again. It might take a minute or two for that to run. Now select the patch file, right-click on it, and with that same context menu, choose "Run as administrator" near the top of the list. It should now apply the update OK, and take you to v1.4 of the game. If you have the v1.5 Uboat Missions Add-On (it was a purchased version), you would do similar to run it. Do be aware that the license for it might be expired, and you would have to create a Ubisoft Support account, and then "ticket" to be able to get ahold of them. Then you have to log-in to that account you created every day, but they will eventually reply, and either give you a new download and license, or maybe just a new license key to type it. Also be aware that the choices for mods for v1.4 are thin. You would be limited to RFB v1.4, or FOTRS v2, or TMO v1.7 (I think... hmmm), and a few others.

As to the "blocked" running of the game, on one of my Win10 systems, I had to right-click on the SH4.exe and choose "Run as administrator" to get it to start, but I also had to change other settings. Again, right-click on the SH4.exe file and choose "Properties" from the list. Click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top, and then start ticking some of the boxes. This is what I ended up with on one of my computers:

The 2nd little window on top there is from clicking on the "Change high DPI settings" button on the lower window. Experimentation is the name of the game here. I do not have to do the "Run as administrator" on all of my computers, and I do not have to do the "Run this program in compatibility mode for..." on all of them. But I do have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" ticked on all of them, and the "Change high DPI settings" is altered on all of them, with at least that bottom tick checked on all of them for "Override high DPI behavior..." and set to "Application". On my computer with the newer graphics card and a mis-matched monitor, I also have to tick that top "Program DPI" box, and set that to "I open this program" in the drop-down box for it. I would do them one at a time, starting with the "Disable fullscreen optimizations", and then test the game each time until you get it to run properly. It might take several tries.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 10:33 PM   #3
pensioned
Watch

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0
Default Istalling SH 4.14 Question

Thanks for the help propbeanie. I had done most of your suggestions already but my install was first in Program Files x86 and then I installed to Program Files , so now I will try in the C drive and follow your tips again.
pensioned is offline   Reply With Quote