SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-16, 01:55 PM   #1
DesertFalcon
Nub

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default cant update to 1.4?

for some reason I cant update from version 1.0 to 1.4. I have downloaded the correct update file (i tried from multiple websites) but it keeps telling me I dont have the game installed? Since I installed in a different directory, I moved my game to C/program files/ubisoft/Silent Hunter 4 (the default), still no luck. The updater doesnt even give me an option for which directory to look in.

Id really like to be able to update so I can use mods
DesertFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-16, 02:32 PM   #2
De Ruyter
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFalcon View Post
for some reason I cant update from version 1.0 to 1.4. I have downloaded the correct update file (i tried from multiple websites) but it keeps telling me I dont have the game installed? Since I installed in a different directory, I moved my game to C/program files/ubisoft/Silent Hunter 4 (the default), still no luck. The updater doesnt even give me an option for which directory to look in.

Id really like to be able to update so I can use mods
You may need successive patches from 1.0-1.1-1.2, etc, don't know that for certain, though. If all else fails, I downloaded the game from Amazon for $9.99, it comes as version 1.3. No problems so far, I am using Windows 10.
Old 03-04-16, 02:53 PM   #3
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

As far as I can remember patch 1.4 for SH4 is cumulative which means that previous patches are not necessary... Probable cause for the issue may be incorrect patch version (there are updates for USA version of the game, EU ect) or maybe incorrectly installed base game, registry base mess up ...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-16, 06:36 PM   #4
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

what you will need to do is uninstall the game, follow the uninstall cleanup instructions in the thread here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133290

then reinstall letting it install where it wants to, then patch your game and then move it wherever you want it.

you only need to install in a different directory if your computer is shared and has separate accounts, if its only you and no other accounts then there is no need to change the install directory.

all that said, don't bother thinking patching to 1.4 is going to allow you to use the mods you see talked about everywhere because you will be limited to only a dozen or so mods made for v1.4 game.

the last and best patch for the game is v1.5 and its called the U-boat add-on but its doesn't realty add much of anything. it was just a way of ubisoft to screw us over and force us to pay for a patch to fix the game.

that said, its well worth the $10 cost for what it does to fix the game and literally makes a dramatic change in how the game works and runs using much less resources on your computer.

you can get it here: http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...-boat+Missions

all the well known popular mods are made for the v1.5 update you have to buy separately so you are better off just buying the "{gold" version of the game that already includes the v1.5 patch or the v1.5 patch will update from any of the "base" or part updated versions of the game. that's the best solution.

Tags
1.4, error, update