Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-22-08, 02:07 PM   #16
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurchi
About Starforce: I bought the english download version last weekend and that one seemingly doesn't have it ...
AFAIK, the download version use the new eCommerce StarForce solution, which means no SF drivers are installed on the PC and no DVD in drive is required but the SF protection runs when the application runs.
Old 12-23-08, 05:41 AM   #17
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Yes, thats a good thing to point out Lurchi and Seeadler. I actually missed this myself when I bought Black Shark. The Starforce drivers I have on my system comes from Lock On: Flaming Cliffs, not from Black Shark.

Personally I don't think the Starforce thing should put anyone of the great Black Shark experience. So far I haven't seen any hardware problems reported in the ED forums that has, or is said to have to do with Starforce.

The activations and deactivations scheme is going to last you a very long time. But if you can't see yourself accepting this limitiation (which it of course is!) you will miss something that is very good and have the potential to be even better. I have certainly spent 50$ on many things that didn't have Starforce, but still caused me more problems and in addition was rubbish. I don't like Starforce, but in the case of Black Shark I would look beyond the bad, and go for the good anyday.

cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.

Last edited by porphy; 12-23-08 at 06:30 AM.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 12:13 PM   #18
porphy
Commodore

Hi

If you are inerested to know how Black Shark compares to LB2 there is a forum thread dedicated to that subject at the ED web site. Looks like LB2 and EECH got a worthy successor.

Link

cheers Porphy

W. B.
Old 01-03-09, 11:08 PM   #19
Johnson0311
Seaman

Downloads: 53

Downloading now.. I wonder how the planned expansion thing will work?

This looks great.. Finally a HELO sim.
Johnson0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 02:19 AM   #20
mengle
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 127

the game is great, i have a movie of my first mission
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?doc...19924862695587
mengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 09:14 PM   #21
Ubergeek87
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 15

I have good news and bad news...

The bad news: I have no will power.
The good news: Blackshark is downloading.

I couldn't resist after having my CH setup completed for Christmas. I am both ashamed and giddy at the same time...it's an odd sensation.
Ubergeek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-09, 09:50 PM   #22
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

This game looks good. TrackIR4 supports Black Shark. Video is 9th down from top.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/...ct-videos.html

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 12:01 PM   #23
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonSamurai
I also have to say I'll be joining the "will not buy it if it has starforce" crowd. I also further suspect that having starforce on board will cost the company far more sales then it would theoretically protect.

I'm also getting royally fed up with these ultra draconian forms of copy protection like starforce and those requiring a internet connection to play a single player game. Especially since these things do not slow the software pirates down much at all.

I'm tired of being treated by the gaming industry as a suspected criminal, and suffering poor performance and all the other woes due to copy protection, while those who steal games suffer none of the above, and don't have to pay a cent either.

It's a shame too, as I was looking forward to this one.
I will also be joining this crowd unless I can find a way around the SF garbage.

And I was looking forward to this one as well.

-S
Old 01-11-09, 12:11 PM   #24
SUBMAN1
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 0

In case anybody cares, this thing is already posted all over the place with Starforce cracks.

This just further proves the point that Draconian DRM is not the way to go. It stops no one.

I will not purchase or play this sim till it becomes DRM free. Maybe in due time, the publisher will get the hint.

-S
Old 01-11-09, 12:49 PM   #25
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Doubtful. It is a Russian Publisher and Starforce is a Russian company. Maybe I am being conspiratorial but I think pressure could be applied if you get my meaning.
Old 01-11-09, 01:07 PM   #26
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99

The download version of DCS:BS has a DRM system called Starforce E-commerce, and unlike with the SF DVD protection there're no reports of it causing any harm whatsoever. It doesn't install any drivers or anything, but instead works as a runtime check when you start Black Shark.

Cracks and DRMs or not I bought it yesterday because I want to support folks who create quality sims, even if I'm not exactly a rotorhead and/or modern-day warfare buff. Hell, if I really wanted to _filch_ stuff I'd most likely steal something like a game an unnamed publisher has the audacity of calling a submarine SIMULATOR, and yet at the same time couldn't even give the boats independent engine control Too bad, then, that I didn't, but went and bought it instead

But really, to filch a sim that really is good and a labor of love at the same time? No effin' way...
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 01:10 PM   #27
msalama
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 99

OK guys, here's what:

I've got it installed, SF and everything, and if I'm not reporting any problems within a month or so you can consider it safe and buy it. How's that sound to ya?
msalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 03:29 PM   #28
porphy
Commodore

Unless I'm mistaken the crack for Black Shark is for the russian dvd version, which do install SF drivers permenantly on your computer (as with Lock On Flaming Cliffs). In order get around that you will have to install Anti-starforce drivers of pretty dubious origin, and they will have access do the depths of your computer, just as the criticised SF drivers. But yes, nothing really stops the "free" versions floating around. DRM is just a hassle for the honest customer.

Today I installed the english version of BS under windows 7 and applied the affinity trick, forcing BS to run on two cpu cores. Wow, it's smooth as silk now! Don't miss out on this sim, when you try to tame the shark flying any thoughts of SF will be far away...

W. B.
Old 01-11-09, 03:42 PM   #29
Ubergeek87
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 15

After numerous viewings of the tutorial, I just did my first completely unassisted start-up. Feels good man. Next step: that whole "leaving the ground" thing.

I am having problems with un-caging the standby ADI. Is there some trick to getting the knob to turn?

(no SF issues to report here)

Ubergeek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 03:54 PM   #30
Morts
Admiral

Downloads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphy
Unless I'm mistaken the crack for Black Shark is for the russian dvd version, which do install SF drivers permenantly on your computer (as with Lock On Flaming Cliffs). In order get around that you will have to install Anti-starforce drivers of pretty dubious origin, and they will have access do the depths of your computer, just as the criticised SF drivers. But yes, nothing really stops the "free" versions floating around. DRM is just a hassle for the honest customer.

Today I installed the english version of BS under windows 7 and applied the affinity trick, forcing BS to run on two cpu cores. Wow, it's smooth as silk now! Don't miss out on this sim, when you try to tame the shark flying any thoughts of SF will be far away...
How do you make it run on 2 cpu cores ?
Morts is offline   Reply With Quote