Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 06-09-07, 10:01 PM   #31
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaVee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
.....(and perhaps the other half "tweaking" the settings to be just right, LOL!).
Before time spent tweaking Bob2, you may want to take a look at this thread, specifically my third post down the page:
http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthread...Number=2231243
Hehe, first thing I did was search the shockwave forum and found your very helpful Are you getting the MOST out of BoB2? thread!
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 11:03 PM   #32
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriscopeDepth
How's CFS 3 Korea JScones?

PD
I quite like it. Even moreso now I've added Johno_UK's recently released Meteor F8 (I play as the Aussies).

Would be nice if the ETO could be fully removed (like it was with OFF), but it's not a major problem.
Old 06-10-07, 08:55 AM   #33
heartc
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 71

Uhm, JScones, I think you were ill-advised, dude. No offense to anyone here, but you basicly recommended him CFS3 in favor of the IL-2 series? Nuts. I'm a flightsim nerd at heart. While I've never been one of those Oleg worshippers, and I too own CFS3, but JScones, I can only recommend you that you get IL2, there is a complete edition out there which has Forgotten Battles and all the Add-Ons which have been done over the years included on 2 DVDs, one click install afaik.

If you think CFS3 is "awesome", the IL-2 series will totally blow you away. CFS3 with the community created add-ons can be an OK game, but there are multiple inherent and very bad issues with it which can't be fixed by no one cause they are hardcoded. The AI is total crap, they do not fly any proper ACM whatsoever, they only stand a chance cause they fly with zero fuel weight and can snipe you out from over 1000 yards when set on "Ace". The damage model is a joke. And you said you don't want the campaign to be fantasy, well in CFS3 it is, since the Germans never featured a Navy as presented in the campaign, and never invaded England either, and the Allies didn't land in Calais.

The campain in IL-2 would have suited you fine, it is a DYNAMIC campaign, but NON fantasy, and you DON'T need that DCG thingy for it to be so. All that DCG does is feature more planes in the air - fine if your PC can handle that - and repetive missions. At least from my experience, or I didn't set it up probably, which is chore, especially if you are new to the game. But as I said, you don't need the DCG addon. You can always come back later to it. The stock campaign in IL-2 does exactly what you were looking for: It provides you with "never the same mission twice", dynamicly generated flights in a non fantasy campaign with accurate frontlines and historic outcomes. It is not dynamic in a Falcon 4.0 sense of way, but it is NON-SCRIPTED nonetheless.
You can also make some simple adjustments in a Dgen.ini (Dgen, the stock campaign generator, not to be confused with the community DCG generator) file to increase activity in the campaign.

CFS3 now with the Add-Ons is the best it could have hoped to become (downloaded the Med Air War Add-On by now and waiting for the password), but if you want THE most comprehensive and most acclaimed (e.g. in terms of FM, DM, and Online) Flightsim, you HAVE to get the IL-2 series. All the other WWII flightsims have their merits, but if you don't get IL-2 (the latest edition), you are really missing out.

Last edited by heartc; 06-10-07 at 09:14 AM.
heartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 09:10 AM   #34
heartc
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 71

BTW, BoB2 is really good, too, and also WORLDS ahead of CFS3 in pretty much all regards, except modding. The only weakness when compared to IL-2 is that it is very limited in scope by comparison (just as the name suggests, only the Battle of Britain is simulated, which gives you about 2 planes on the Allied side and 3 on the Axis, and you can be tailgunner in the bombers) and might hence get old at some point. But because it is more limited it can also simulate that single theater in more detail than IL2 simulates the PTO for example. Actually, the PTO simulation is the weak part of IL-2. But the package you get with the latter is so immense that you probably won't mind it. I think you get well over 150 flyables in IL-2. Yet they are not shallowly modelled as in a survey sim, because those planes weren't all there from the beginning in 2001, but instead were slowly and carefully added in the different Add-On packages and patches over time. The Stuka for example has the automatic pull up and bomb drop at release altitude, the He111 has a historically accurate semi-automatic bombsight, the B-25 has an accurate norden bombsight, the 262 engines will catch fire if you advance the throttle to quickly, you have the different Methanol / Water / injection systems for the different aircraft, constant speed props vs variable pitch etc. etc.
heartc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-07, 10:00 AM   #35
JScones
Navy Seal

I got IL-2 Complete Edition a while ago. Installed and played it a few times; I didn't like it. There was something that just, well, just didn't appeal to me. I think I lost interest because I couldn't tweak/mod it the way I wanted to (although flying with the RAAF during the Battle For Singapore kept my attention for a while).

The deciding factor for getting CFS3 was the WWI (First Eagles didn't look too promising), Korea (albeit incomplete, but nothing else comparable on the market) and Desert mods which all appeal to me (and which can be tweaked/modded further to my liking). When IL-2 includes these eras/theatres maybe I'll try it again. But in the meantime, I've balanced the good points with the bad and the good has won out overall (fwiw I have no plans on playing stock CFS3 as the ETO doesn't really interest me).

Anyway, I suspect (hope?) that CFS3 and maybe even BoB2 will be sidelined if Storm of War: Battle of Britain and WWI: Knights of the Sky live up to expectations.
Old 06-13-07, 03:31 PM   #36
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132

Hi mates,
Hi Jaesen,

Well, well...I also come back to flight sims after SH3 and all that so long mod work on GW/GWX...lol

It's really a good surprise to find you (and all you guys ) in this same matter!
After some days on the net and looking on my old sim games I also bought CFS3 looking for its good mods. The dinamic campaing, at least good AI and easy to get in factor are the most for me. This last topic - easy to get in - is what keep me a little away from Falcon, IL2 and BOB2 until now. Perhaps some time later...Falcon 4.0 is really to much complicated for me. I haven't all the necessary free time to get in.

But before install again CFS3 I stuck in an old time (9 years now) flight sim that was the grandfather of all others dinamic campaigns and in a lot of ways yet better than all the modern ones: DID Total Air war!

It's easy to get in, fun and challenge at same time, its dinamic campaign is awesome and with the new glide wrappers (was made mainly for the old 3dfx voodoo cards) you can play it in 1600x1200 with all the settings at maximum, 6xAA, 16xAF, temporal and adaptive AA. The result is excelent.

It's old of course, the AI isn't perfect but quasi ( at least at par with the best modern sims). This game was from the time that a sim was really a very good and challenge game. Like the old Panzer Elite, my friend: it's yet the best on its type!

Here a link that have a lot of TAW goodies. I know that not every one will find it now to buy or perhaps don't want o try it...but if you have the chance...take it!

It's unique problem: it is set in a modern era, on the Read Sea scenario to be more exactly. But it is the best for a non WWII flight sim choice. Forgive me Falcon players...

Here a link to look in:
http://www.migman.com/ref/1990_combat/TAW/TAW.htm

Cheers,

Rubini.

Last edited by Rubini; 06-13-07 at 04:55 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 11:39 PM   #37
Lagger123987
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 4

I Need A Joystick, Whre Can I Find The Cheapest Joystick To Play Il-2?
Old 06-17-07, 04:34 AM   #38
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger123987
If you know how to answer to a thread, I am sure you can use the internet to search for a cheapest joystick.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 12:03 PM   #39
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger123987
If you know how to answer to a thread, I am sure you can use the internet to search for a cheapest joystick.
I know how to enter and answer to a thread, but I still cant land dowly

:rotfl:

@lagger: logitech, saitek perhaps use those 2 words to search on the web.
and maybe a local hardware/Toyshop shop can help you out.