Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-18-12, 09:33 PM   #1
Wigabee
Bosun

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Helicopter Simulation Suggestions

Hello everybody!

I am a new submariner but I want to get into helicopters too! Whenever I play a game with helicopters in it I have so much fun! My dad is a FedEx pilot and it could be lots of fun for both of us. I want to take some opinions on the best helicopter sim around that fits these preferences. First of all, I don't care too much whether it's a war sim or not but I do really like realistic airports, helos, and cabins. I don't want to break the bank here either so cheaper is nicer but if it's expensive, please do still mention it. Next, am I going to need a joystick or is that optional? Lastly, I need my computer to run the game. It's new and it has...

Pentium 4 with 2.8ghz
1.8GB of RAM
Radeon 9250 128mb Video Card
Lots of free disk space

I may have to come and realize that such a perfect game doesn't exist () but I would love your help in finding a game that might work for me. All suggestions are welcome and thank you all for your time!

Happy Hunting!
Old 01-18-12, 10:21 PM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Sounds like Take On Helicopters might be the title for you: http://takeonthegame.com/

It's not perfect so far from what I hear, but it's getting support, and in terms of look and a mix of both civil and military operations, nice graphics and decent modeling, it's a good balance. You get to fly a range of choppers from military to civilian, and the engine (same as ARMA II all-around military sim) means that you can expect user-created cotnent to be easily available (and creatable). Makes for good single player, from what I gather.

If you want an uber-realistic combat sim, DCS: Black Shark 2 may be the title for you: http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/

It's a fair bit more complex and quite retentive in systems/weapons modeling, but if you want to fly a high-tech Russian attack helicopter. You don't get to fly any other units, although it is cross-compatible with DCS: A-10 (separate game) now from what I hear. Good for multiplayer, if what I've seen from our resident flyers here is any indication.

Hope this helps

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 10:24 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Oh wait, just read your system specs... nope, neither of those is going to work on your system - you should really consider getting a new system by now though, yours is quite aged.

But, if you want to stick to that... How about looking into the Enemy Engaged series then? (Apache Havoc (EEAH) and Comanche Hokum (EECH), two separate but cross-compatible titles). They're a bit aged, but should work well on your system. There is an active community around them, with lots of available mods. Check here for a good community forum: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...EECH_EEAH.html

I can also recommend buying the game here if you want to ensure good compatibility and no DRM: http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#all_...enemy engaged/

And yes, for all of these titles, joysticks are pretty well required. You won't really be able to control them well without one - these are very sensitive machines that need precise input. Luckily, a decent joystick can be had pretty cheap.

Again, hope this helps.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 01-21-12, 07:04 PM   #4
Wigabee
Bosun

Thanks for the replies CCIP! My dad's computer can run Microsoft Flight Simulator X and that sounds like fun. Are the requirements on flight sim x the same as the gold pack? Also what would you reccomend for a cheap joystick? Thanks for the help and have fun!
Old 01-28-12, 12:37 PM   #5
magicstix
Captain

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigabee View Post
Thanks for the replies CCIP! My dad's computer can run Microsoft Flight Simulator X and that sounds like fun. Are the requirements on flight sim x the same as the gold pack? Also what would you reccomend for a cheap joystick? Thanks for the help and have fun!
If you're doing helo sims you're going to definitely want rudder pedals.

As far as a cheap flightstick, I have a Thrustmaster T-flight hotas, which I paid about $35 for. Amazon seems to have upped the price and it's about $50 now.

I'm not sure I like this stick though, as it's very sloppy. I've found controlling helicopters in X-plane to be almost impossible, and I've yet to get the KA-50 off the ground in DCS black shark, but that could just be that I'm a terrible helo pilot.
magicstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 01:37 PM   #6
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicstix View Post
I've found controlling helicopters in X-plane to be almost impossible, and I've yet to get the KA-50 off the ground in DCS black shark, but that could just be that I'm a terrible helo pilot.
X-plane has always been a nightmare for me to configure and use, and the Ka-50 is more than a handful although Arclight and Dowly make it look really easy!

Helicopters are notoriously difficult to fly and even harder to simulate anywhere accurately on a PC, most are dumbed right down so people don't get frustrated.
Old 01-28-12, 01:55 PM   #7
magicstix
Captain

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
X-plane has always been a nightmare for me to configure and use, and the Ka-50 is more than a handful although Arclight and Dowly make it look really easy!

Helicopters are notoriously difficult to fly and even harder to simulate anywhere accurately on a PC, most are dumbed right down so people don't get frustrated.
I know the basics of flying a helo, but on X-plane I always spin out no matter how much opposing rudder I apply, and in KA-50 the helo always tips over while the rotors are spinning up...

I think it's because my throttle (which I'm using for collective) is too sensitive...
magicstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 03:03 PM   #8
seaniam81
Commodore

Downloads: 87

Good old games has Apache vs. Havoc for sale.

seaniam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12, 07:33 PM   #9
Wigabee
Bosun

I'm just curious about whether you guys prefer X-Plane or Flight Simulator X. Once again, just looking for opinions here. Thanks!
Old 01-30-12, 05:42 AM   #10
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

If you look in the screenshots thread I don't recall seeing much at all from X-Plane, it's mostly FSX, IL-2, and DCS titles.

I don't think your specs are great for most sims
Old 01-30-12, 11:44 AM   #11
CCIP
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigabee View Post
I'm just curious about whether you guys prefer X-Plane or Flight Simulator X. Once again, just looking for opinions here. Thanks!
A lot of that still depends on what you're really looking for from the game. Out of the box, they each have their own pluses and minuses, but the differences really begin to emerge when you dig deeper into their communities and add-ons.

To make it really simple, X-Plane might be a good choice if you are most interested in aerodynamics, building your own planes, lighter aircraft and making light hops/trying out different plane configurations. FSX, which you almost definitely need to get a number of add-ons for to really open up its potential, is a more suitable choice if you are interested in systems, air traffic, longer flights, etc. In other words, if you like nuances of flight dynamics and pushing planes to their limit, X-Plane is better. If you want to fly sophisticated airplanes with faithfully-recreated systems, add-on planes in FSX are your choice.

And yes, be warned that neither will run well (if at all) on your current system.

-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
Old 02-26-12, 10:28 AM   #12
not yet kameraden
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

if you just want to fly helicopters and dont looking for reality,helicopter simulations might be a bad idea.But if you say i want to feel like a heli pilot try take on helicopters or flight simulator x with black hawk addon.Also DCS Black Shark is a good simulation too.But i must warn you first your graphic card would be a problem for Take On Helicopters.
Old 03-18-12, 09:30 PM   #13
Wigabee
Bosun

Thank you all for the replies! It is very much appreciated.