SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-02-20, 03:40 PM   #1
Malwulf
Seaman

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0
Default GWX Periscope Zoom

Hello all,

According for my research, the GWX mod changes the maximum zoom with the Attack Periscope from 6x to 10x. However, on my particular install the maximum zoom is still 6x even with GWX installed.

Current Mods -

GWX 3.0
HSIE Hardcode Fixes V16B1
ARB Wide Gui 1920x1080
ARB Wide Gui Fix
GWX 16Km Atmosphere
GWX Enhanced Damage Effects
GWX No Medals on Crew
GWX Merged Campaign
SH3 Commander

As far as I can tell, all other aspects of GWX appear to be working properly. Could there be a conflict with the other mods that I am unaware of? Could it be the GUI modifications?

Any insight or advice would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Malwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 03:57 PM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

In your ARB wide gui, you should have a library folder with a camera.dat inside.
Open it with S3D and change the values as you desire for the periscope or the observation periscope optical node

On side note, X6 for max zoom is historical accurate, more is kind of cheating
Same for UZO...IMHO it should be X6 too, like regular binoculars.
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 06:21 PM   #3
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
In your ARB wide gui, you should have a library folder with a camera.dat inside.
Open it with S3D and change the values as you desire for the periscope or the observation periscope optical node

On side note, X6 for max zoom is historical accurate, more is kind of cheating
Same for UZO...IMHO it should be X6 too, like regular binoculars.

But as with all "historical" specs, is it appropriate to use on a pc screen/game ?

(I only use 6x too btw )
Old 04-02-20, 09:14 PM   #4
Malwulf
Seaman

Thank you for the replies!

I actually prefer the more historically accurate 6x maximum, so I do not intend to change it. I am just curious what may have happened in my particular set up to cause this, and I want to make sure my GWX install isn't broken. Could the GUI mod be changing the periscope?

Thanks so much again. Happy hunting!
Old 04-02-20, 09:16 PM   #5
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwulf View Post
Thank you for the replies!

I actually prefer the more historically accurate 6x maximum, so I do not intend to change it. I am just curious what may have happened in my particular set up to cause this, and I want to make sure my GWX install isn't broken. Could the GUI mod be changing the periscope?

Thanks so much again. Happy hunting!
The camera.dat file controls the scope settings. Do a search in your mods folder; that will tell you if a mod changed it. As Fifi said, ARB comes with this file and according to the order of your mods you posted, it would have overwritten the GWX file.
Old 04-03-20, 12:29 AM   #6
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

And I’m quite sure Malwulf get the rotated image when he is sitting on the attack periscope seat also...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 01:58 PM   #7
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

As I recall, without deep digging, historically accurate optic magnification for both the attack scope and UZO was 1.5x and 6x.

Everyone needs to bear in mind that when GWX 3.0 was under development, the vast majority of users were still using full screen mode as opposed to widescreen, and the native resolution of SH3 was 1024x768.

Widescreen mods were still in their infancy and full of much weirdness.

We set the outer camera zoom level to be 10x to account for the lower game resolution being not as acute as the human Mk.1 eyeball.

Other notes: (I don't think many players consider, or are aware of...)

Generally speaking, during periscope depth-level torpedo attacks, the captain placed himself in the conning tower to access the attack periscope... which is not accessible from the control room. It is the observation periscope that is accessible from the control room.

The observation periscope's main function is just that.... to observe. It is my understanding that it had (has) a wider angle view both horizontally and vertically. Before surfacing it would be used for a quick visual check for surface and/or air threats.

At any rate, with the higher resolutions available these days, 1.5x and 6x would indeed be the way to go.... if those resolutions are indeed what the player is using. ie: ARB, Ahnenerbe GUI's.

In short, we accounted for a limitation of the game which appears to be much less of an issue than it was 10-15 years ago.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 02:09 PM   #8
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann View Post
As I recall, without deep digging, historically accurate optic magnification for both the attack scope and UZO was 1.5x and 6x.

Everyone needs to bear in mind that when GWX 3.0 was under development, the vast majority of users were still using full screen mode as opposed to widescreen, and the native resolution of SH3 was 1024x768.

Widescreen mods were still in their infancy and full of much weirdness.

We set the outer camera zoom level to be 10x to account for the lower game resolution being not as acute as the human Mk.1 eyeball.

Other notes: (I don't think many players consider, or are aware of...)

Generally speaking, during periscope depth-level torpedo attacks, the captain placed himself in the conning tower to access the attack periscope... which is not accessible from the control room. It is the observation periscope that is accessible from the control room.

The observation periscope's main function is just that.... to observe. It is my understanding that it had (has) a wider angle view both horizontally and vertically. Before surfacing it would be used for a quick visual check for surface and/or air threats.

At any rate, with the higher resolutions available these days, 1.5x and 6x would indeed be the way to go.... if those resolutions are indeed what the player is using. ie: ARB, Ahnenerbe GUI's.

In short, we accounted for a limitation of the game which appears to be much less of an issue than it was 10-15 years ago.

Thanks ! Also, I recall reading recently (if I could remember where.....Commander's handbook maybe) that the 6x was only to be used for observing, i.d., etc.; actually firing took place using 1.5x.
Old 04-04-20, 12:30 AM   #9
Malwulf
Seaman

Thanks again for all of the amazing info!

I didn't realize my GUI mod would alter that aspect of GWX. Thank you very much for the clarification.

Happy Hunting!
Old 04-04-20, 10:07 AM   #10
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 429

Here is the UBoat Commanders word on the periscope.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

130.) For computing the range, the 1 magnification should be used in the periscope. With the 6-fold magnification, no estimation of distance is possible, on account of the monocular optical system of the periscope.

As a matter of principles the 6-fold magnification of the periscope should always only be used temporarily, in order the better to observe details of the enemy ship, as, for example, in computing its course and speed, but never for the actual attack at close range.

or derstosstrupp's retranslation :

130.) In estimating range, always use the 1.5x magnification in the periscope. The monocular optics of the periscope do not allow for range estimation at 6x magnification.

The 6x magnification of the periscope basically may only be used temporarily in order to better observe details of the enemy ship, for example in estimating angle-on-bow and speed, however never for conducting the actual close-range attack.

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 01:04 PM   #11
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Here is the UBoat Commanders word on the periscope.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

130.) For computing the range, the 1 magnification should be used in the periscope. With the 6-fold magnification, no estimation of distance is possible, on account of the monocular optical system of the periscope.

As a matter of principles the 6-fold magnification of the periscope should always only be used temporarily, in order the better to observe details of the enemy ship, as, for example, in computing its course and speed, but never for the actual attack at close range.

or derstosstrupp's retranslation :

130.) In estimating range, always use the 1.5x magnification in the periscope. The monocular optics of the periscope do not allow for range estimation at 6x magnification.

The 6x magnification of the periscope basically may only be used temporarily in order to better observe details of the enemy ship, for example in estimating angle-on-bow and speed, however never for conducting the actual close-range attack.

That's what I was referring to, thanks !
Old 04-04-20, 01:25 PM   #12
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 429

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-20, 03:27 PM   #13
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:

Good find, Fubar295. I knew it was in there, just haven't had the time since the discussion here to follow up. Thank you!

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-20, 09:43 AM   #14
Olamagato
Torpedoman

Downloads: 72

Quote:
[...] The 6x magnification of the periscope basically may only be used temporarily in order to better observe details of the enemy ship, for example in estimating angle-on-bow and speed, however never for conducting the actual close-range attack.
The 6x magnification of the periscope had, imo, one much more important function. Most of the worst mistakes at sea were based on an incorrect assessment of the type of vessel and its belonging to the country based on the visible flag.
I think that in SH3 this is one of the most underrated aspects of this game or even more of a simulator as GWX. I think the first and biggest reason for using high magnification in the periscope was to avoid mistakes of sinking friendly or neutral units. Hence, hospital ships had their function and affiliation markings all over the large hull, not just the flag.

Unfortunately, at low resolutions, even 6x magnification is often not enough to clearly identify a potential target as hostile. Perhaps this is correct because for this reason the game can reflect the mistakes that happened in reality. There were, after all, sea waters, where trade ship routes of opposite sides intersected. One of them was the Mediterranean Sea. I would be very pleased if it was possible to map the movement of friendly and neutral ships as much as in reality, so that the captain of the submarine would have to approach the task of correct identification of the vessel very carefully. And in case of doubt, even give up the attack.
Olamagato is offline   Reply With Quote