SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-17, 11:50 AM   #61
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

It would have to be a step by stepper,,, I'm looking for or to do a Pt with out those 20mm gun tubs,,. though they really don't look that bad ,,,, ok I'm lying eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww.
yubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 04:02 PM   #62
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I copied my Manila entry to Brisbane, and changed the Flotilla designation:

[Flotilla 2.UserPlayerUnitType 9]
ID= F2NSSPT109

Becomes:[Flotilla 3.UserPlayerUnitType 9]
ID= F3NSSPT109

I have no idea what your ...UnitType number would be, but be sure and change the Objective assignments similarly... juss sayin'... - similarly, the "F" number depends upon what Flotilla you have Brisbane numbered as...

The guns are definitely too strong. Some of the boats had a single-barrel 20mm up front and a single-barrel 40 in the rear, at the most, didn't they? I don't think they would have been able to move very well through the water configured like they are now - but they can sure tear up a merchant from over 5k out...

The "crew" that are available in the game, for the most part, won't work, since they'd "walk" a distance that is longer than the boat, so they'd have to be "posed" folks, maybe two standing doing the binocular and shading of the eyes movements. Maybe have one or two others sitting somewhere?... One thing about battle stations, is that the torpedoes were not always remotely fired, but were instead manually fired out of their tubes by a man standing by the back of a tube, detonating a the black powder launching charge. So they would have to have a person standing at the tube for that (after watching some of the vids, they apparently only did that when the remote wouldn't work - or did it depend upon the boat and time period??)...

Found some links that I'm sure others have already posted:
http://pt-king.gdinc.com/Torpedo.html
Not a very impressive weapon

http://mathscinotes.com/2013/06/aimi...rom-a-pt-boat/
They've got a link for a History channel show on the PT boat. They show push-button and manual lever launches. it's a rather over-dramaticized and romanticized story, but they do show a lot of the different armaments employed, and somewhat how they came into being. Like the Sherman tank in Europe, Necessity was the Mother of Invention...

No sound on this one, but they show the later-used "roll-off" launch of a torpedo, and then the PT boat going faster than the torp, while tracking it...

Brisbane Command is Flotilla 3 in RSRD.Believe it will be Unit 8. For Manila I just replaced the Narwhal with PT109.I've been mapping out how I want a campaign to look, doing some research etc.

Since PT's range is limited and unsupported not meant to travel long distances across opean ocean(few did such as 1200 miles from New Guinea to Leyte in 1944, but had support vessels and traveled together), the retreat from the Philippines, with bases changing is an issue. Thinking start out Cavite(possibly create small base a Sissiman Cove, which is where MTB Squadron 3 sent it's boats to hide from air raids) run missions supporting fight, supporting Batann defense etc, try to be historically accurate as much as possible, but keeping gameplay interesting. Final mission ends with a VIP transport ie McArthur as PT-41 did.Have it where can end patrol where drop him off or refuel and make it to java if possible, end patrol there. Base will be Darwin instead of Fremantle, can run some missions out of Darwin. Later in war will support ops in Dutch East Indies during McArthur's drive. Support the invasion of Morotai for example. Read some intense combat took place there for PT's interdicting Japanese supplies and troops trying to cross the strait from Halmahera.Then end up supporting Leyte Campaign, namely Surigao Strait. Finally, Okinawa area until end of war.

Pearl Harbor Command for PT's seems limited in first part of war. Could have them posted at Midway(some were sent to defend Midway before the battle) Fictional but could start out at Wake Island, try to defend Wake.Later war, during the central pacific offensive, lot of moving around supporting operations.

Solmons and New Guinea campaign in 42/43 will be the mainstay of a PT mod obviously.PT's arrived at Tulagi in October 1942, moved to the Russel Islands in 43, then Rendova, up to Bougainville eventually, Green Island. Played a part in Admirality Islands operation.

They operated in Aleutians as well apparently but not sure how much combat they saw there.

Aramament wise. Well their standard when the war began was two sets of twin .50 cal machine guns in the tubs and four torpedoes.As war progressed it changed and various boats have various configurations. Typically they would have a cannon of sorts on the bow, quite a few ended up with 37 mm on bow and a single 40 MM on stern with 20 on deck and .50 cals in tubs, some cases single or twin 20 MM. Some ended up with rocket and grenade launchers.

I'm a bit lost on how to make the upgrades work etc but would like to make it so start out with the .50 cals in the tubs, then get maybe two 20 MM's on deck(bow and stern)then since dont have 37 MM in game, can just get a 40 MM on bow by mid 43, so have it for the "barge busting" in the central solomons, later get one stern. 20 MM and .50 and of course leave some room for player to decide their setup, as with the sub campaign. Maybe can remove the search light on deck since dont use it, replace it with additional node for deck gun. Could place a 20 MM there , then have 40 MM on bow. Saw a video tour of PT-658(although a higgins boat, armament were often identical) it's setup was interesting . 37 MM on bow, 20 MM just behind it to port(on our PT109, about where the searchlight is) .50 cals in gun turret, 20 MM amidships after on a mount, 40 MM on stern. Four torpedo "racks" . Depth charges on the deck edges at stern port and aft. Rocket launcher forward starboard.My main thing is I want all guns except maybe one to function as deck guns for surface targets.Reasons for this are in RSRD planes are not the constant threat as in other mods. PT's mostly operated at night. Also, PT in sim have enough speed and handling, can avoid enemy bombs and one functioning AA gun would be plenty. Like many things in sim it's a one or other. Like they did in real life, a lot of barge busting will occurr in this campaign, targets not worth torpedoes will often be encountered, so will need plenty of deck guns. As its now we "onky" have a 40 MM on bow and twin 40 on stern.Addition of 20 MM and maybe .50's blazing away would prove effective.

Surface radar is needed as well.

Torpedoes worked two ways. Early in war they had the tubes, which the found were a liability because when they fired the charge to launch them, they flashed and could give away their position. Later when Mark 13 became their standard, they were put on a simple rack. When time came to attack, the racks were pushed out, and torpedoes were manually started, then were rolled over the side. Made me think of "In Harms Way" when the PT Boat Skipper was attacking and instead of fire would yell "Roll One" Roll Two". Wea re stuck with the tubes in the sim, which is fine. Speaking of which. Do you know how can make it so there are not reloads for torpedoes? As mod is now have four reloads, I tried to change this in the sim file but it caused a CTD. Reallly only want to have four torpedoes.

Far as deck watch goes. Posed crew would be fine, least would be there. Yes think maybe one crew at the helm postion on deck, one or two lookouts, bow and stern? At GQ, ideally two at the helm position(torpedoes were aimed from here) but a least one, since as captain that is where player will be most of time , those at their guns(40 MM's need two men manning them) and put a crew member by the tubes, since they were manually fired.

Any idea on how to change player starting rank? I opened the UPC localization file and saw some info in there on promotion, how to change that, but not sure about starting. Most PT skippers were Lt JG's, some even were Ensigns. Thinking Player will start as a JG, can move up to Lieutnenat Commander(maybe full Commander) over course of war.

Some changes to make to make the mod mesh better in campaign mod but man it's a lot of fun already.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a video tour of PT-658. I can't wait to tour and take ride on the 305 in New Orleans, won't be too long.

Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 04:45 PM   #63
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Got Brisbane working, now can make it so start out at Tulagi etc.

Having a sound issue, wondering if you have encountered this. Engine sounds tend to cut off after going to time compression, usually kick back on after a few minutes.Weird being dead quiet will running at ahead flank lol. Any ideas how to fix this?
Old 08-04-17, 05:35 PM   #64
yubba
Admiral

Default Sound issue engines

I gotten it ,,, from time compression,, and bouncing around external view,, if you do loose it 1. you can change speed 2.. you can cycle external view if there is a contact near by. 3 or go BBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrr till you get a contact and then cycle external view. I watched a PT documentary a while ,,I think the fuel load was 4000 gallons,, I will burn in hell for that number now that I can't recall if that's right but I'm sure they said 500 gallons in a hour at flank ,, thank god for edit
Old 08-04-17, 05:39 PM   #65
yubba
Admiral

3000 gallons so shoot me ,,,
Old 08-04-17, 06:01 PM   #66
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
I gotten it ,,, from time compression,, and bouncing around external view,, if you do loose it 1. you can change speed 2.. you can cycle external view if there is a contact near by. 3 or go BBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrr till you get a contact and then cycle external view. I watched a PT documentary a while ,,I think the fuel load was 4000 gallons,, I will burn in hell for that number now that I can't recall if that's right but I'm sure they said 500 gallons in a hour at flank ,, thank god for edit
Now that can operate closer to where scene of action will be I can test and see if really need to adjust fuel or not. Later going to run a patrol out of tulagi in Oct 42 . I'll see how fuel holds up patrol, high speed runs for combat etc . I have found ahead standard, set for 20 knots instead of 22, will get about 750 NM. Not bad range.

Any idea how to make it so only have four torpedoes? no reloads. I tried deleting the storage in torpedo rooms in .sim file but caused CTD
Old 08-04-17, 06:26 PM   #67
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

When I've gone into the mod, it'll show I've got 4 loaded, and 4 in store, but as soon as starting, there's only the four in store, and I go ahead and go to battle stations as yubba says, and they load. Then I have none in store...

I've not had issues with sound, but I have with "helming", where if I set a course on the chart, and do time compression, the poor boat will "helm" about as it tries to get the course correct.

That one video insinuates that they had "tenders", like a sub or a DD would have, and that's how they went from place to place across the Pacific, back and forth...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 06:40 PM   #68
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
3000 gallons so shoot me ,,,

Watched the documentary other day.its a good one.
Old 08-04-17, 06:47 PM   #69
yubba
Admiral

Default helming

most of the time I click ,, heading to view,, one day I'd to see this [ =5 degrees like the good ole days
Old 08-04-17, 09:56 PM   #70
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
most of the time I click ,, heading to view,, one day I'd to see this [ =5 degrees like the good ole days
That is a plan for the mod. I want to make the < > keys give rudder in five degree increments. When moving at high speeds, easy for the PT to get out of control.
Old 08-05-17, 12:07 PM   #71
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

I wonder if there's a way to bypass the "command hierarchy with that, and not have a "delay" in execution of the "order", bubblehead1980? Such as when you click on the compass for a course change, you get a pause, then a "Yes sir! New Course, 59 degrees" Or if using the alternate "Yes sir! Rudder, 12 degrees to port!", then you get the response to the rudder. Whereas, on a PT boat, unless you've relinquished the wheel, you decide a course, and turn the wheel. No "consulting the OD and the Helmsman, you just do it... ?? It's probably burned into the game code though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 05:35 PM   #72
yubba
Admiral

I think we are stuck at being Captain or a gunner,, I went for a spin in it earlier,, heading to view is about the smoothest way to go even at uzo lining up the shot ,, I use auto targeting get target locked then go back to the helm using binoc view on and off to make the run and order the shot.

Last edited by yubba; 08-05-17 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-05-17, 07:20 PM   #73
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I think we are stuck at being Captain or a gunner,, I went for a spin it earlier,, heading to view is about the smoothest way to go even at uzo lining up the shot ,, I use auto targeting get target locked then go back to the helm using binoc view on and off to make the run and order the shot.
Likely, I mean itd be nice if were no delay but it's pretty responsive, just think need to make it so can use keyboard. Things obviously happen at a much quicker pace in PT than subs. I dont enjoy auto target so manually shoot torpedoes.Since they had no TDC but used a sight of sorts, I try to aim same manner within bounds of sim. I set the AOB, speed, and estimated range will fire at and wait to send bearing right until time to fire, then hit fire.

Test in campaign. I started at Tulagi on October 13 1942. Around 0200 per history, Japanese BB, CL, and DD's in Savo Sound to bombard Henderson. The PT boats left Tulagi to attack(scripted into RSRD). Of course currently dont have them firing AI torpedoes, but they are nice distractions. I swept around the opposite side through the screen, started dodging shells from DD's and the BB's fired Mark 8's from 5,000 yards , turned away. Two of four hit a BB zig zagging, not bad. Of course Mark 8 was not a powerful torpedo so on the BB it slowed it down. i ran back to Tulagi to rearm and refuel, tried to relocate the group but was unable.

Loving this mod.

Definitely need to get the AI elco's firing torpedoes.
Old 08-05-17, 08:40 PM   #74
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Having trouble with the 109 campaign again propbeanie.

Trying for career start on October 21, 1944.

It's still flotilla 2 in RSRD as the manila start, so should not be an issue. It's something with the career start.upc.
Old 08-05-17, 09:20 PM   #75
yubba
Admiral

You can't believe how lucky we are to be this far,,I'm trying something other than editting over top of RFB 1.4 and I can't get it too work.