SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-08, 10:48 AM   #466
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

For those that have the automatic update notification disabled, or work with an older version of S3D:

Version v0.7 - Download link in main post (or follow link in footer to my site)

I strongly recommend everyone to update to this release!

This release replaces any previous v0.5.x/v0.6.x release!

New
  • Added a label to each chunk editor, indicating whether a chunk is fully supported or not. If not, clicking the label will open a dialog that can be used to analyze the unknown data, using an integrated hex editor. Note: the data is read-only.
  • Added option to import a DAT-file into another. Very useful to load a group of chunks, instead of exporting/importing each chunk seperately. The feature however is lacking a progress indicator and background thread loading (due to time constraints) so be prepared for the UI to become a bit unresponsive while it is loading a large file, and don't assume S3D has locked up... Maybe at a later date I will add background loading (like the normal File > Open procedure). Also note, that this feature has NOT been heavily tested and may contain bugs.
Changed
  • Due to significant new features, and to avoid confusion over the earlier warnings regarding the buggy uninstaller I labeled this release as v0.7.
  • Revised the uninstall procedure.
Now I just hope this case of longam was a one timer!
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 06:06 AM   #467
kriller2
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Nice work Skwasjer

You are working fast Skwasjer! You should get money from UBI for making this tool :hmm: if it werent for your skills we would all still be using Hex editing and mess up the files one by one and get jiggly water and falling birds from the sky... :rotfl:

Real Environment mod

and Pacific Enviroments 4 mod
kriller2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 06:41 PM   #468
longam
Admiral

After installing the final release of SP1 for window Vista I had positive results on installation and uninstall of version 0.70. Man that was a long weekend for me and no fault of Skwasjer, just the nature of beta testing including service packs.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-08, 08:25 PM   #469
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriller2
You are working fast Skwasjer! You should get money from UBI for making this tool :hmm: if it werent for your skills we would all still be using Hex editing and mess up the files one by one and get jiggly water and falling birds from the sky... :rotfl:
Yea, it's hard to remember the alternatives isn't it? I'm happy I am nearing 1.0 though. I am close to the point where I don't wan't to see that project in my dev studio anymore
Old 03-19-08, 04:16 AM   #470
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
I am close to the point where I don't wan't to see that project in my dev studio anymore
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-08, 03:50 PM   #471
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
[*][I]Added option to import a DAT-file into another. Very useful to load a group of chunks, instead of exporting/importing each chunk seperately. !

YES! Thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! :p
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 08:57 PM   #472
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

When i have 2 instances of silent 3ditor open i need to know which is which . It would be helpful if up the top it says silent hunter 4/data/mods/etc . Do you know what i mean .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-08, 09:35 PM   #473
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober
When i have 2 instances of silent 3ditor open i need to know which is which . It would be helpful if up the top it says silent hunter 4/data/mods/etc . Do you know what i mean .
If you click "Window" in the menu bar a list of open file paths will appear. The checked one is the one you are working on in the current window.

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-08, 03:53 PM   #474
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Support for animations on demand would be terrific in a future release .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 08:54 AM   #475
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Hi, Skwasjer.
I use 3DS Max 9 SP2 and Collada import plug-in ver. 3.05b ...
Now (S3D ver. 0.7b) mesh import is ОК (without "dust") ...
But now object has coordinates from dat-file ...
It is not conveniently ...
May be to make feature (on/off) of reseting all coordinates (pivot point in 0,0,0) ...
And what about materials ...?
Now it's nothing ...

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-08, 06:35 PM   #476
skwasjer
The Old Man

Thx Anvart for trying and reporting.

I was planning on an export dialog with some options (like export normals, float precision (nr. of decimals), etc...), and I will make the matrix rotation/translation optional as well. I was more or less planning to support multiple model export to one file as well (optional) which is why I had to get the translation/rotation to work in the first place, but I see your point that it isn't always useful.

Yes, materials are a bit screwed. I still haven't found the best way to export it correctly. The uv's get exported ok, but assigning them to the correct texture seems to be problematic with the FeelingSoftware plugin. I probably am doing something wrong though, so I am still trying to work that out...
Old 03-24-08, 06:15 AM   #477
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1

Quote:
I was planning ...
, but I see your point that it isn't always useful.

Yes, materials are a bit screwed.
Good luck Skwasjer in your hard work ...
Yes, for single export more convenient to have the "reseted" coordinates (offsetX,Y,Z = 0 and rotX,Y,Z = 0) ...
Materials ... m...m...oho-ho ... :hmm:
1) In this case (Balao propeller etc.) NS_Balao_N01.dds is absent ... but in your interpret. it's present ... Formal action ... ?
2) I think specular takes from a-channel of NSS_Balao_O01.dds file ... or (if in UnifiedRenderControler is cheked) from diffuse map (*.T01.dds) ...
3) You do not use UV coordinates for occl. map (indexed in TMAP section) ...
4) All material param's are default (3DS Max) param's and all material parts have channel 1 ...
... and etc. etc. ...
After rendering i see occl. map (*.O01.dds) with diffuse UV coordinates ...
Yes, materials it's hard work (without Help or SDK) for programming ...
Easier to make all manually ... ???

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 03-24-08 at 06:54 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 08:55 AM   #478
skwasjer
The Old Man

Quote:
1) In this case (Balao propeller etc.) NS_Balao_N01.dds is absent ... but in your interpret. it's present ... Formal action ... ?
2) I think specular takes from a-channel of NSS_Balao_O01.dds file ... or (if in UnifiedRenderControler is cheked) from diffuse map (*.T01.dds) ...
Correct, the current implementation assumes alot. I know it shouldn't but I haven't really had time to implement it better (like you suggest, use the params from the UnifiedRenderController, or even ask the user). So I chose the easy way and basically assume all maps are available. I will have to improve this as we move along...

Quote:
3) You do not use UV coordinates for occl. map (indexed in TMAP section) ...
4) All material param's are default (3DS Max) param's and all material parts have channel 1 ...
... and etc. etc. ...
I have had alot of difficulties with the DAE-materials (not with the DAT-file or geometry). It just seems the FeelingSoftware doesn't pick up the info I provide in the DAE-file. I actually DO assign the proper UV-channels in most cases (you can check by looking at the file in notepad), but it resets the channels to 1 on import. I'm still not convinced the problem is with my export or with their Max-plugin. You can just change the channel index to 2, and then it renders ok...

I try to focus on importing the geometry now though, and not so much exporting the correct materials. As long as they are 'just a bit' right, I think we just have to settle with it (for now). I mean, it's not so hard to manually fix the materials in Max for rendering previews (assign the correct textures, and assign the correct UV-channels).
If we can get at least the geometry imported back into the dat-files, we can always fix up materials using other means (S3D/hex etc.). I only need material assignment info for that (which face, what material index), not actual correct materials. For all I care it's painted orange and green in Max, I just drop that info upon import in S3D. As long as materials in dat are ok (and in same order), it should be fine

Later, when this works, I can always improve the material part...
Old 03-24-08, 09:11 AM   #479
DeepIron
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I try to focus on importing the geometry now though...
!
RFB Loadout: RFB_V1.52_102408: RFB_V1.52_Patch_111608: RSRDC_RFBv15_V396
DeepIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-08, 09:14 AM   #480
skwasjer
The Old Man

Oh, and plus UV-channels of course