Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-22, 10:30 AM   #271
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Harbinger of Spring

The first real Spring-like day brought this vivid yellow male Brimstone into the garden to drink from the Periwinkle, which seems to be in flower all the year round. These butterflies are more of a greenish colour underneath but you rarely get to photograph them with wings open. It will have been hibernating in the ivy
Old 03-22-22, 07:26 PM   #272
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Don’t mean to derail or hijack a thread it’s just that it brings to mind a story how these beautiful creatures got their names as told by Mark Twain in his book The Diaries Of Adam & Eve

Quote:

WEDNESDAY

Eve

We are getting along very well indeed now and getting better and better acquainted. He does not try to avoid me anymore, which is a good sign, and shows that he likes to have me with him. That pleases me, and I study to be useful to him in every way I can, so as to increase his regard.

During the last day or two, I have taken all the work of naming things off his hands; and this has been a great relief to him, for he has no gift in that line and is evidently very grateful. He can’t think of a rational name to save him, but I do not let him see that I am aware of his defect. Whenever a new creature comes along , I name it before he has time to expose himself by an awkward silence. In this way I have saved him many embarrassments.

I have no defect like his. The minute I set eyes on an animal, I know what it is. I don’t have to reflect a moment; the right name comes out instantly, just as if it were an inspiration, as no doubt it is, for I am sure it wasn’t in me half a minute before. I seem to know just by the shape of the creature and the way it acts what animal it is.

When the Dodo came along, he thought it was a wildcat - I saw it in his eye. But I saved him. And I was careful not to do it in a way that would hurt his pride. I just spoke up in a quite natural way of pleased surprise, and not as if I was dreaming of conveying information, and said: “Well, I do declare, if there isn’t the Dodo!” I explained - without seeming to be explaining - how I knew it for a Dodo; and although I thought maybe he was a little piqued that I knew the creature when he didn’t, it was quite evident that he admired me. That was very agreeable, and I thought of it more than once with gratification before I slept. How little a thing can make us happy when we feel we earned it.

————

TUESDAY

Adam

I get no chance to name anything myself. The new creature names everything that comes along before I can get in a protest. And always the same pretext is offered - it looks like the thing. There is the Dodo for instance. Says the moment the one looks at it, one sees at a glance that it “looks like a Dodo.” It will have to keep that name, no doubt. It wearies me to fret about it, and it does no good anyway. Dodo! It looks no more like a Dodo than I do.
It’s too bad Mark Twain didn’t get to experience the age of automobiles and women drivers. nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 03-23-22 at 02:09 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-22, 09:18 AM   #273
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ Indeed
Old 04-14-22, 08:45 PM   #274
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Found this guy hanging out on my front porch:

I think he had just emerged from his cocoon, because a minute earlier, his wings were all folded up and he looked entirely different.

EDIT: I think it might be an Eight-Spotted Forester Moth.

Last edited by Sean C; 04-14-22 at 08:49 PM. Reason: More info.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-22, 04:48 PM   #275
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ Great photo
Old 05-20-22, 12:59 AM   #276
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Old 05-20-22, 03:40 AM   #277
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

^ I think this is a Wainscot Moth

The one above that we don't get in the UK, so I don't know it
Old 05-20-22, 07:16 AM   #278
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

This thread taught me to look with other eyes at moths. I never paid attention to their diversity and beauty, took them for granted.

Like grass species. Most people do not look cloesley, take them for granted. But Im sometimes watch wild grass in the winds for long minutes, or individual grasses, the colours, forms. So beautiful.
Old 05-20-22, 12:02 PM   #279
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

For the infantry, grass life was quite a show. Called it "Brehm's Tierleben live" and it was only over when i got away to the navy 03:

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 05-20-22 at 02:19 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-22, 04:06 PM   #280
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
This thread taught me to look with other eyes at moths. I never paid attention to their diversity and beauty, took them for granted.

Like grass species. Most people do not look cloesley, take them for granted. But Im sometimes watch wild grass in the winds for long minutes, or individual grasses, the colours, forms. So beautiful.
I am very gratified by your comments: there are so many more species of moth than there are butterflies - around two and a half thousand inhabit the UK compared with around 52 butterflies - and they will often be found to be every bit as striking in their appearance

So many interesting families, from the hawk moths to the 'carpet' moths and hook tips. Fascinating stories behind their history, too... such as the white ermine moths who rapidly evolved a dark form in the industrial north of England in response to the sooty environment and consequent higher predation of the lighter coloured insects
Old 05-21-22, 04:50 PM   #281
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default A few moths from my collection

Just a glimpse at some varieties in my collection. There are many far bigger and more beautiful which I never managed to collect before giving up the hobby on conscientious grounds

Copper Underwing and below it a Large Yellow Underwing. The pretty spotted one next to that is a Speckled Yellow - not a widespread species. The large Old Lady Moth is common everywhere. That's a Six Spot Burnet below it and beneath that what looks to be a Peppered Moth

Left: Five Spot Burnet and Magpie moths; Right: Buff Tip and a male Drinker Moth. He's much smaller than the female and (unlike her) has broad feathered antennae

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 05-21-22 at 05:07 PM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-22, 02:31 PM   #282
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth, England

I've been trying recently - without much success - to photograph moths in the garden

But a good friend of mine was playing with his old Canon camera the other day when this appeared. It was a case of right place right time. He makes me sick

(Photo used with permission)
Old 06-20-22, 09:45 PM   #283
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Wow, that's an incredible shot! I'm guessing your friend is no stranger to cameras.
Old 07-17-22, 02:06 PM   #284
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Speckled Wood

On this, the first day of the record-breaking heatwave, all I found to photograph was this speckled wood butterfly in the garden. The insects I've always been so interested in seem to be fast disappearing

Old 08-06-22, 10:25 AM   #285
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Not much action over behind the church... spotted this Brown Argus though

About 4 out of every six butterflies I've seen so far this summer have been Gatekeepers, this one also seen today. These normally not so very numerous butterflies seem almost to have the place to themselves this year