Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-04-20, 11:05 AM   #1
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0
Default Is there any big eye candy mod?

Hi, while I have some experience to speak of about in Silent Hunter 3, I am a complete stranger to dangerous waters.
One thing I love about Silent Hunter 3 is how with a couple of mods you can take a 2005 game and make it look like 2010ish. Sure it remains low poly but the amount of clarity and sharpness that stuff like GWX and ARB UI bring, give the game a very nice lifting.
My question is , is there anything similar to those mods for Dangerous Waters? A mod or multiple mods that enhance the visual experience with higher resolutions, better sharpness/anti-aliasing, and perhaps some eye candy?
Old 12-04-20, 01:22 PM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Your question is tricky.

You haven't mentioned what kind of hardware you're running to play the game, and while I'm good- I can't read minds.

For the most part, you can run DW maxed out on anything with a CPU that starts with an i. i3, i5, i7, i9, etc. Just crank up all the settings to their max value (just be careful with the highest display mode aka: Mode ID 4) and you should be fine.

DW "mods" usually don't target the display, rather they build on adding other navies/nations and/or change weapons or sensor capabilities.

If you're new to DW, I would encourage you to play the stock game for a while to get used to how DW works. Some things will be very familiar, some things just won't and DW "mods" don't make the experience easier.

If you have questions, that's why we hang out in here.

Just be sure to specify what you're running (including your OS) if you have trouble launching the game or display issues.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 03:59 PM   #3
gmetzo
Seaman

Downloads: 139

OS is windows 10. As for computer its not a problem. I am banging the latest hardware since I play a lot of poorly optimised, heavy flight sims. I am familiar with how the Los Angeles plays due to playing a lot of 699i Hunter/Killer but I definitely need to work on the things I don't know about Dangerous Waters so yea, I will give it a spin vanilla for now. Thank you.
Old 12-04-20, 04:28 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

OK, we're getting somewhere.

For Win10, you'll need to either install the d3d8 dll file (available here) or a similar encoder for windowed mode. Just check the threads in this forum and you'll get a better idea which encoder you'll want.
The d3d8 dll will give you a full screen display BUT its based on the old 4:3 display format (your screen will look stretched a bit but its no big deal). The windowed encoders are also nice but sometimes a little tricky to set up.

If you use d3d8, just make sure you put the dll IN THE SAME FOLDER as dangerouswaters.EXE. If you can see the dll and the EXE icons in the same folder, you've done it right.

You'll probably need to edit some (display especially) options by changing the values in your dangerouswaters.cfg file. For Win10, right-click on the cfg file and choose "open with" and "notepad". You can check some other threads but basically search the cfg for "modeID=" and set that value to "3" then save.
ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-20, 11:02 AM   #5
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Not mod related but I recently discovered that there exist a software called "Reshade", and I found some videos on YT that shows what is achievable in terms of "eye candy" in DW using this tool.

1)
2)

3)

Disclaimer: I have not used this Reshade tool so I do not know a thing about it. I currently run DW on Win10 in a window (to preserve the original 4:3 aspect ratio, I do not like at all the "stretching" effect you got when using different aspect ratios) thanks to a Video made by our good friend FPSChazly.
You can watch it here:
-

Hope this help!
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote