SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-29-20, 08:10 AM   #2086
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What do you mean by "twin seamounts"?
They are 88 km NW/WNW of Hachio Jima harbor; the SPC was 11-15 km north of that point.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 08:57 AM   #2087
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Thanks. Got it... Did you happen to notice a report of a neutral group on your NavMap at any time prior to, or just after, discovering the stopped transport? You are probably in too close to the origin of the group though, for it to have reported yet. What had the weather been like the 24 hours before you found it?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 09:31 AM   #2088
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
Write caching is enabled on all 3 SSDs. I have a backup UPS and the normal laptop battery so it's virtually impossible that I would lose any RAM writes in a power outage. It's not recommended to have RAM caching enabled if you don't have a power backup of some sort. You could end up with garbled crap on the hard disk if the RAM writes did not get transferred to the disk because of a sudden power loss.
The problem with write-caching isn't so much from a power outage, but my thinking wonders about when the game "hiccups" (one of those 'technical' terms), or shells-out to Windows - whether accidental or on purpose - and then the game "gets lost" when it returns to Windows. Then the cache could be out of sync with the game. I do not know if this happens or not. It would be interesting to experiment in this regard, though that would be time-intensive, and most likely frustrating. Maybe someone knows more about the subject of disk caching as it relates to an old WinXP DirectX v9 game...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzi View Post
Try this: http://yadi.sk/d/Pd1piVvpTMyMAQ

In the single-player mission "Supplies For Betio" this August 1943 Balao also has no guns. After applying this mod, the guns appear.
In this mod, the 4-50 cannon is placed only in the nose, there are no 3-50 cannons at all, and 5inch .25cal Twin Cannons (Bow and Stern) will not appear until June 1945-06-01 - so it was in real life.
A person cannot use that "tweak" for a career once it is running. The files are very similar to the current FotRSU, but different enough, with the eqp file not matching the flag, hence losing it. The only thing the upc file(s) add is the ability to pay for the double-5" config a bit earlier and change the 'free' dates to later. If you are not getting a deck gun when playing a Single Mission, that is a different problem from when receiving an upgrade Balao boat in a career.

Old 10-29-20, 10:08 AM   #2089
mazzi
Mate

Downloads: 551

Quote:
A person cannot use that "tweak" for a career once it is running. The files are very similar to the current FotRSU, but different enough, with the eqp file not matching the flag, hence losing it. The only thing the upc file(s) add is the ability to pay for the double-5" config a bit earlier and change the 'free' dates to later. If you are not getting a deck gun when playing a Single Mission, that is a different problem from when receiving an upgrade Balao boat in a career.
You need to boot to uss-gato in front of the base, go to the base on uss-gato, then on the base he is offered a new one boat uss-balao. If put this mod, this new uss-balao boat should have guns. What's wrong?
Career will not be affected.
mazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 10:10 AM   #2090
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
This isn't a relatively new bug, just a re-activation of an older one. CapnScurvy had "cemented" the guns to the boats' gun decks back prior to beta v0.90, in an attempt to prevent similar from happening. It did prevent a few issues, but altered other issues and caused new, irreparable ones, so we have since put things back the way they were (or close). TMO introduced the kit-bash Narwhal, which has both a bow and an aft deck gun. There might be something going on when that boat is "upgraded", but in my case, I went to a Tambor and then a Gato before getting the Balao, and on neither of the two other fleet boats was there an issue... but I did move the gun on one of them (both bow mounts) to the stern. The Balao should come with a stern mount. That might be where the trouble is introduced. I might try my little experiment again, and when getting the Balao without a deck gun, go back to the previous Save in-port, and put the deck gun back on the bow, then go on patrol again, come back in, get the Balao and see what it does... That would be another few days out of my life though... - it might have to wait a few weeks.
I can wait it out; I'll just stick with the Gato meanwhile. FYI, I have not shelled out of this career except from the Office or Main Menu. Nor have I moved a deck gun from any original position at all during this entire career. Thanks for taking it on.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 10:20 AM   #2091
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Thanks. Got it... Did you happen to notice a report of a neutral group on your NavMap at any time prior to, or just after, discovering the stopped transport? You are probably in too close to the origin of the group though, for it to have reported yet. What had the weather been like the 24 hours before you found it?
I loaded a Save point which tracks completely with my memory, aside from the weather, which I did not note the first time.

3/18/44 @ 1900 Midway time
Wx clear with no wind
Nothing on map other than sonar tracks for small group listed below.
Location: 16 km SW of Twin Seamount midpoint, speed stationary

3/18/44 @ 2059
Group detected 25 km ESE of our position (four ships including Whale Factory), heading W
Small Group 17 km W of us, heading WNW
Weather clear

3/20/44 @ 0427
Patrol timer expires. Course set for Midway

3/20/44 @ 0433
Radar contact 26 km NNE of us, 13 km NNE of Twin Seamount midpoint. Later determined to be SPC
Wx clear. Nothing else on map.

End rerun.

There were no other surface contacts or reported groups on the NavMap during the rerun, nor do I recall any.

IIRC, the SPC was oriented toward the SE.

FWIW, we encountered unexpected pairings of Medium European Freighters with Crab Boats several times on this long patrol. IIRC, that's what the Small Group mentioned above was.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 10-29-20 at 10:32 AM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 10:51 AM   #2092
mazzi
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
I can wait it out; I'll just stick with the Gato meanwhile. FYI, I have not shelled out of this career except from the Office or Main Menu. Nor have I moved a deck gun from any original position at all during this entire career. Thanks for taking it on.
Get the mod from here from www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2703553&postcount=2085.
Load from saving uss-gato in front of the base where you are offered uss-balao, go to the base on uss-gato and get uss-balao with guns.

Does not work?
Old 10-29-20, 01:42 PM   #2093
propbeanie

Quote:
You need to boot to uss-gato in front of the base, go to the base on uss-gato, then on the base he is offered a new one boat uss-balao. If put this mod, this new uss-balao boat should have guns. What's wrong?
Career will not be affected.
I am not comprehending what the translation does to your thoughts... Are you reporting that a person with a Gato, that transfers to another base (such as Pearl Harbor to Midway), and the player is offered a new Balao after another patrol or two, that with the use of the mod you have mentioned, that the player's Balao will then have a deck gun? What would be the cause of the loss of the deck gun be, if such is the case?

Quote:
As mentioned, you may not "see" a shelling-out when Windows does it. Good information to know though that you did not move a deck gun. Did you have a Narwhal boat earlier in your career(s) though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I loaded a Save point which tracks completely with my memory, aside from the weather, which I did not note the first time.

3/18/44 @ 1900 Midway time
Wx clear with no wind
Nothing on map other than sonar tracks for small group listed below.
Location: 16 km SW of Twin Seamount midpoint, speed stationary

3/18/44 @ 2059
Group detected 25 km ESE of our position (four ships including Whale Factory), heading W
Small Group 17 km W of us, heading WNW
Weather clear

3/20/44 @ 0427
Patrol timer expires. Course set for Midway

3/20/44 @ 0433
Radar contact 26 km NNE of us, 13 km NNE of Twin Seamount midpoint. Later determined to be SPC
Wx clear. Nothing else on map.

End rerun.

There were no other surface contacts or reported groups on the NavMap during the rerun, nor do I recall any.

IIRC, the SPC was oriented toward the SE.

FWIW, we encountered unexpected pairings of Medium European Freighters with Crab Boats several times on this long patrol. IIRC, that's what the Small Group mentioned above was.
I should be able to eliminate weather factors then, and concentrate on the Waypoint speeds. I have found a "Fast" merchant group in the 42b layer that isn't so "fast" after all, and it has "GENERIC Merchant" vessels in it, of which the slowest in the v1.26p is 9.6 knots. The Split Merchant can do 12 knots, and some of the Waypoints in that group are set to 12 knots in that particular area. That may well cause an issue for the group if one or two of the vessels cannot do the speed they are set to. That particular group also has a Hospital ship as its leader, and the slower ships may have impeded the troopship. The troopship would generally be quite a bit larger than the Split Merchants, and that might be why the troopship ended up "stranded" and separated from the group, in that it was turning to avoid collision... maybe. There are quite a few fishing vessel groups in the area, and what you saw may have been two groups temporarily co-mingling on similar courses.

Old 10-29-20, 02:09 PM   #2094
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
The problem with write-caching isn't so much from a power outage, but my thinking wonders about when the game "hiccups" (one of those 'technical' terms), or shells-out to Windows - whether accidental or on purpose - and then the game "gets lost" when it returns to Windows. Then the cache could be out of sync with the game. I do not know if this happens or not. It would be interesting to experiment in this regard, though that would be time-intensive, and most likely frustrating. Maybe someone knows more about the subject of disk caching as it relates to an old WinXP DirectX v9 game...

<snip>

After thinking about this overnight, I decided to disable the Write Caching for the drives. Not because of the SH4 game per se, but because occasionally when a game locks up you can be forced to power down if nothing else allows you to get back to the desktop for a proper shutdown. So far with it disabled, I have not really noticed any appreciable decrease in performance including the "whopping" 13 seconds it takes to load SH4 with FOTRSU. Better safe than sorry.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 01:40 AM   #2095
mazzi
Mate

Quote:
I am not comprehending what the translation does to your thoughts...
Sorry minimum translation.
Quote:
USS Gato out of Midway, arriving from 6th Patrol on 4/14/1943 from Caroline Islands with 112,000 tones; offered new boat, a Balao. From the Office on game day 4/15/1943 I found No deck gun, no crew slots. Went back to a previous save and declined the new boat on arrival at Midway so I could continue the career.
1. Install mod http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=2085
2. Load uss-gate (date time < 4/14/1943)
3. continue playing, wait uss-balao
4. take the boat uss-balao with guns
Quote:
What would be the cause of the loss of the deck gun be, if such is the case?
Code:
--------------NSS_Balao.upc--------------
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 3]
ID= UpgDeckGun
NameDisplayable= Deck Gun
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= USDeckGunImpBow, USDeckGunImpStern, USDeckGunHvyBow, USDeckGunHvyStern, USDeckGunHvyDbl
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= BowDeckGun, SternDeckGun
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1942-07-31, 3inch .50cal Stern Mount
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1942-08-01, 1943-12-31, 4inch .50cal Stern Mount 
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault3= 1944-01-01, NULL, 5inch .25cal Stern Mount
--------------NSS_Balao.upc--------------
AcceptedTypes= USDeckGunImpBow, USDeckGunImpStern, USDeckGunHvyBow, USDeckGunHvyStern, USDeckGunHvyDbl

USDeckGunImpBow this is 4-50 Bow
USDeckGunImpStern this is 4-50 Stern
USDeckGunHvyBow this is 5-25 Bow
USDeckGunHvyStern this is 5-25 Stern
USDeckGunHvyDbl this is 5-25 Dual (Bow + Stern)

WHERE FOR THE CANNON 3-50 ?????????????

Correctly so:
Code:
--------------NSS_Gato.upc--------------
[UserPlayerUnit 1.UpgradePackSlot 3]
ID= UpgDeckGun
NameDisplayable= Deck Gun
Type=NULL
AcceptedTypes= USDeckGunBow, USDeckGunStern, USDeckGunImpBow, USDeckGunImpStern, USDeckGunHvyBow, USDeckGunHvyStern, USDeckGunHvyDbl
UserCustomizable=Yes
IDLinkUpgradePackSlots= BowDeckGun, SternDeckGun
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault1= NULL, 1942-07-31, 3inch .50cal Bow Mount
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault2= 1942-08-01, 1943-12-31, 4inch .50cal Bow Mount 
IDLinkUpgradePackSlotsIntervalDefault3= 1944-01-01, NULL, 5inch .25cal Bow Mount
AcceptedTypes= USDeckGunBow, USDeckGunStern, USDeckGunImpBow, USDeckGunImpStern, USDeckGunHvyBow, USDeckGunHvyStern, USDeckGunHvyDbl

USDeckGunBow this is 3-50 Bow
USDeckGunStern this is 3-50 Stern

Historically 3-50 guns were not installed per boat uss-balao.
Old 10-30-20, 06:22 AM   #2096
propbeanie

Default Many Thanks To mazzi! :Salutes: until my arm falls off!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
After thinking about this overnight, I decided to disable the Write Caching for the drives. Not because of the SH4 game per se, but because occasionally when a game locks up you can be forced to power down if nothing else allows you to get back to the desktop for a proper shutdown. So far with it disabled, I have not really noticed any appreciable decrease in performance including the "whopping" 13 seconds it takes to load SH4 with FOTRSU. Better safe than sorry.
Is there a keyboard combo for the drives to "flush" the cache? Although, as you say, you will not notice much of a difference, if at all, between enabled and disabled... Write caching was used back in the earlier ATA IDE days to speed things up, and especially with SSD, but also SATA and the attained throughput makes it a somewhat archaic, "legacy" technology for most users.

Quote:
Sorry minimum translation.

[/CODE]AcceptedTypes= USDeckGunBow, USDeckGunStern, USDeckGunImpBow, USDeckGunImpStern, USDeckGunHvyBow, USDeckGunHvyStern, USDeckGunHvyDbl

USDeckGunBow this is 3-50 Bow
USDeckGunStern this is 3-50 Stern

Historically 3-50 guns were not installed per boat uss-balao.
As with the torpedoes and tubes with the game's preference for loading the first-listed torpedo type into all sub's tubes, here is another incomprehensible section of the SH4 code that is very strange...

I do thank you for your clarification and expounding on the subject, such that my dim-wittedness could understand you better. From what I remember of the FotRSU files, there has never been a 3" gun listed on the Balao. The Tench also is missing the listing for the 3" gun, so the next version will include those in the UPC files, and we'll see how things work then...

For those of you following along at home, as I understand mazzi, the addition of the orange-highlighted text for the 3" guns on the Balao and Tench in their respective "Data / Submarine / SubName / SubName.upc files should allow a proper upgrade path for those boats then...

Whew - a ~HUGE~ amount of thanks to mazzi! "Confirmation Testing" is in progress!

Old 10-30-20, 01:28 PM   #2097
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Default Guages at 12 oclock high (Still)

1st patrol this time Tambor out of Pearl. Using LAA on Win7 64bit
Mod list:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisofdt\Wolves Of The Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN
101_Patch_v1.2To_v1.26p

Finished photo OP at Guam, saved. When I reload that one, all is well.
12/29/41 144'30" E 13'30" N

ran around several days, no targets, got new zone wake Island. Saved game, bad on reload.
1/4/42 144'20'E 13'45" N

I've had this happen on occasion IN TMOwtw, and the earlier FOTRSU near the Japanese Coast later in the game (patrols 6, 7 or so)l. Are there planes at Guam causing this similar situation?

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 02:24 PM   #2098
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
1st patrol this time Tambor out of Pearl. Using LAA on Win7 64bit
Mod list:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisofdt\Wolves Of The Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.24_EN
101_Patch_v1.2To_v1.26p

Finished photo OP at Guam, saved. When I reload that one, all is well.
12/29/41 144'30" E 13'30" N

ran around several days, no targets, got new zone wake Island. Saved game, bad on reload.
1/4/42 144'20'E 13'45" N

I've had this happen on occasion IN TMOwtw, and the earlier FOTRSU near the Japanese Coast later in the game (patrols 6, 7 or so)l. Are there planes at Guam causing this similar situation?

I had a bad save on reload yesterday. My normal policy now is to save then exit the game immediately. If I want to continue playing, I restart the game loading this last save. That way, if it's corrupted, I'll know immediately and won't waste time playing on and probably risking another bad save, instead I just go back to the preceding good save and re-play from there.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 03:55 PM   #2099
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:

As mentioned, you may not "see" a shelling-out when Windows does it. Good information to know though that you did not move a deck gun. Did you have a Narwhal boat earlier in your career(s) though?

I should be able to eliminate weather factors then, and concentrate on the Waypoint speeds. I have found a "Fast" merchant group in the 42b layer that isn't so "fast" after all, and it has "GENERIC Merchant" vessels in it, of which the slowest in the v1.26p is 9.6 knots. The Split Merchant can do 12 knots, and some of the Waypoints in that group are set to 12 knots in that particular area. That may well cause an issue for the group if one or two of the vessels cannot do the speed they are set to. That particular group also has a Hospital ship as its leader, and the slower ships may have impeded the troopship. The troopship would generally be quite a bit larger than the Split Merchants, and that might be why the troopship ended up "stranded" and separated from the group, in that it was turning to avoid collision... maybe. There are quite a few fishing vessel groups in the area, and what you saw may have been two groups temporarily co-mingling on similar courses.
Never have tried going out on the Narwhal.
Just to add to the mystery of stopped Fast Merchants, I just got in from a patrol in Gato to deliver an agent to Guam. Left Midway on 9/4/43, and later that same day got a radar, and then a sonar contact at 22:24 hours. The contact was SE of us, not moving and was at approximately 179-57-30W; 27-30N. Upon inspection by the external camera, I found a static Split Merchant flying the US flag. All the previous encounters had been Japanese.

I would have reported the encounter last night but the crew burying my neighbor's new Fiber cable next door cut mine in the process! Didn't get a fix until late this afternoon.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-20, 10:36 PM   #2100
propbeanie

I am really hoping what mazzi has, will help in this regard, as noted in Post #2096 = Many Thanks To mazzi! :Salutes: until my arm falls off!!!. It will take a few more runs with my "seeded" career to find out what happens when I get my new Balao, but I am confident in this...

@ mikesn9: Is that the mission where you start in the Marshalls, then to Guam, then to Wake, and "take pictures if you can"? I'll double-check on that (might be a quadruple-check by now). There should be minimal planes in the area - usually - because all of the US planes have been shot down, and the Japanese have not landed any yet. However, if you are there when the Hiryu and Soryu stopped by to help for a few days, then you might have some carrier aircraft buzzing about. The problem with the planes before though, wasn't so much the planes, as it was the mis-configured Rescue Raft when the planes were shot down or crashed. The game pulls all of that type "asset" and will choose from the pool, not just the Survivor in FotRSU, so the game was trying to associate a New Zealand raft with a Japanese plane, and that would just crush the "cycles" as the game thrashed about through that conundrum...