SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > UBOAT
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-12-19, 05:25 PM   #1
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Icon14 Suggestion for you guys on oxygen use

last night it came time to go to town and grab some dinner. So, i submerged the boat, and just let it run on 1x time compression. Surely the crew wont die of suffocation in the 2 hours i'll be gone?

came home... all hands lost due to suffocation

I recall reading in books during my SHIII days about long protracted engagements against destroyers, and U-boats being pinned down for 4 and 5 hours of depth charging, or being depth charged badly and escaping around midnight-1am and staying submerged until daybreak.

At any rate, i feel like the oxygen availability for the VIIC crew in U-boat is way too low. when i submerge, even when rigged for silent running, i see running out of oxygen in 1 hour 15 minutes sometimes.

In real life, we would have oxygen canisters, rebreathers for the entire crew, and the ventilation system to help prolong this.

but for now, the ventilation system can be used infinitely even when the potassium runs out, i once left the ventilator on for an entire 5 day cruise and never had an oxygen issue.

in this game, even with the ventilation system working like a charm, i have been cornered by aircraft and destroyers for such a length of time that i had no choice but to surface or have everyone suffocate.

what i wanted, was a more Silent Hunter III type of oxygen duration, without having to micromanage the bugged ventilator cheat, or risk surfacing my boat in the middle of a pack of destroyers. So...

what i did to fix this was navigate to:

Steamapps/common/uboat/uboat_data/data sheets

next open the data sheet entitled "general"

scroll down and find the /RESOURCES group of text

under "Oxygen consumption per character" the default value is "-1.00E-05"

double click that value and "-0.00001" becomes editable text

change the value to "-0.000001999" then save and exit

you will see oxygen depletion values of about 6 hours instead of 1 hour 15 minutes moving forward

Old 05-12-19, 06:58 PM   #2
Damo
Captain

Downloads: 248

Nice, can you do the same for the discipline in some way? I think there's a lot of things that will need reworking if we are ever to get close to this game being a 'sim'. BTW, what do you open the file with? I'm not on the machine that has the game on.

The owl and the pussycat went to sea in a beautiful pea-green boat.
It only took one T1 eel to convince that boat not to float.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-19, 09:35 PM   #3
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo View Post
Nice, can you do the same for the discipline in some way? I think there's a lot of things that will need reworking if we are ever to get close to this game being a 'sim'. BTW, what do you open the file with? I'm not on the machine that has the game on.
Its an excel spreadsheet.

Im sure you can do the same with the discipline, havnt dug into that yet.
Old 05-13-19, 04:57 AM   #4
Deepseadiver
Torpedoman

Downloads: 64

Very cool tip. Cheers
Deepseadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-19, 10:03 AM   #5
skin-nl
KapitainLeutnant

Downloads: 242

Thanks for the tip GoldenRivet
Old 05-14-19, 01:03 PM   #6
Nufsed
Sparky

Downloads: 500

Great tip mate, many thanks

Nufsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-19, 03:38 AM   #7
Exocet
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
but for now, the ventilation system can be used infinitely even when the potassium runs out, i once left the ventilator on for an entire 5 day cruise and never had an oxygen issue.

in this game, even with the ventilation system working like a charm, i have been cornered by aircraft and destroyers for such a length of time that i had no choice but to surface or have everyone suffocate.
I dont think the ventilation system is completely buggy. i have tested it, while staying submerged half a day. got switched it on without potassium for cleaning oxygene from 20% to 100%. first time usage really seems to be a little bit "magic" and perhaps equally the second time.

then switched it off and waited for oxygene level falling to 20%, and anew switched ventilation on until reaching 100%.

after doing so a few times, it was notable that each time the cleaning efficiency was below the previous turn. it took much longer to reach 100%.

after about 12 hours, the effect was stagnant. now, even when leaving ventilation permanently switched on, oxygene level would not reach 100% anymore, but also the consumption was being counterbalanced. So exactly this is absurd and has to be fixed, of course.

While being chased and keeping noise output as low as possible, permanent ventilation could be the nail of one's coffin, because it's operating noise is about 96 db.
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-19, 03:45 AM   #8
clayton
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
last night it came time to go to town and grab some dinner. So, i submerged the boat, and just let it run on 1x time compression. Surely the crew wont die of suffocation in the 2 hours i'll be gone?

came home... all hands lost due to suffocation

I recall reading in books during my SHIII days about long protracted engagements against destroyers, and U-boats being pinned down for 4 and 5 hours of depth charging, or being depth charged badly and escaping around midnight-1am and staying submerged until daybreak.

At any rate, i feel like the oxygen availability for the VIIC crew in U-boat is way too low. when i submerge, even when rigged for silent running, i see running out of oxygen in 1 hour 15 minutes sometimes.

In real life, we would have oxygen canisters, rebreathers for the entire crew, and the ventilation system to help prolong this.

what i wanted, was a more Silent Hunter III type of oxygen duration, without having to micromanage the bugged ventilator cheat, or risk surfacing my boat in the middle of a pack of destroyers. So...

what i did to fix this was navigate to:

Steamapps/common/uboat/uboat_data/data sheets

next open the data sheet entitled "general"

scroll down and find the /RESOURCES group of text

under "Oxygen consumption per character" the default value is "-1.00E-05"

double click that value and "-0.00001" becomes editable text

change the value to "-0.000001999" then save and exit

you will see oxygen depletion values of about 6 hours instead of 1 hour 15 minutes moving forward

So, 2 hours is 20 game hours. Is that right?