SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-02-13, 10:21 AM   #16
postalbyke
Chief

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 1

No, that's how I read that, too. I was just too impatient to take apart the electrical and the piping to place the CO's rack there. I guess if I were feeling uppity, I could make the openhatch mod animations open the radio room door.

Meh. Gotta cash my paycheck and finish two weeks worth of physics homework and study for the chemistry test
Old 02-02-13, 04:36 PM   #17
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Wasn't more work for you to remove the CO's bunk rather than just keep it there across from the stove? I think in stock the CO's bunk is across from the stove, right in the command room if I'm correct....
Old 02-02-13, 05:30 PM   #18
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Good work!
Old 02-03-13, 09:49 AM   #19
postalbyke
Chief

Yes, but it seemed that the CO's rack was immediately adjacent to the cooking area/passageway aft. In the SH3 model, the CO had a small room in that area, which would interfere with the tank outboard his rack. I actually skipped making the kitchen more detailed, too, as it should have a small deep sink right next to the stove, and I don't think the stove is supposed to be a large four-burner affair.
If you look at the Vesikko interior, there's even less evidence of the CO's rack and the stove. I really wish someone would just walk through and take pictures of every square foot instead of the inside of an electric motor, or the valve arrangement on the diesels.
Old 02-03-13, 08:29 PM   #20
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalbyke View Post
Yes, but it seemed that the CO's rack was immediately adjacent to the cooking area/passageway aft. In the SH3 model, the CO had a small room in that area, which would interfere with the tank outboard his rack. I actually skipped making the kitchen more detailed, too, as it should have a small deep sink right next to the stove, and I don't think the stove is supposed to be a large four-burner affair.
If you look at the Vesikko interior, there's even less evidence of the CO's rack and the stove. I really wish someone would just walk through and take pictures of every square foot instead of the inside of an electric motor, or the valve arrangement on the diesels.
In the diagram it seems to me the bunk is across from the cooking area, across the isle. Or there are two bunks, one adjacent to the cooking stove and one across the isle.

Either way, you are correct about the pictures. Are there any surviving Type 2's?

Shouldn't be that difficult to convince a museum volunteer to snap some pictures and email them to one of us.... Just need to find a sub and some contact info...
Old 02-04-13, 05:28 PM   #21
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok, lets do some digging. The plans tell something different so lets get to the bottom of this.

Here is some 360 photos of Vesikko. http://www.kolumbus.fi/mika.ajomaa/Panorama_2.html

You probably have already seen this...
Old 02-04-13, 05:51 PM   #22
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

It looks like the captains bunk may have been next to the fore bunks in the torpedo room, just with a curtain for privacy as suggested here: http://www.kolumbus.fi/mika.ajomaa/P..._2_files/4.swf

It's important to keep the bunk because it simulates the captain sleeping in the game and its a bit of roleplaying.

It seems there are no bunks in the command room or next to the stove. And there are only two helm steering wheels? I don't remember if your mod had any, but the stock has 3. Why the kitchen area was so small must be because of the ballast tanks? or there are oxygen tanks there, as seen in the pictures, and which may look like bunks in the type 2 plans.
Old 02-07-13, 08:24 PM   #23
postalbyke
Chief

The two wheels on the stbd side are the bow and stern dive planes.
The helm is actually in the navigator's nook (tight quarters for the nav and the on-watch helm)

There may be compressed air tanks in the control room, but the large outboard spaces missing there are the midships diving ballast tank. I've got a tank schematic here somewhere...

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/pl...lan_100dpi.jpg

This is the internal tank arrangement, and there's another (I think on that site) with the same paper and ink that shows hull details for dry-dock and external repair purposes.

I had a similar thought about the CO's rack, but I felt there was a lot of unused space on the port side aft of the radio room, and the schematics do seem to indicate *something* should go there. Also, the Vesikko can't be considered to be a 100% model for the type IIa, as it was a prototype and had different surfaced and submerged characteristics (among other things).
Old 02-07-13, 08:27 PM   #24
postalbyke
Chief

By the way, great looking out! It's very nice to have an informed, well-studied conversation with someone about this topic

And I'm a fan of The Prince, a fine book!
Old 02-08-13, 12:05 AM   #25
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalbyke View Post
By the way, great looking out! It's very nice to have an informed, well-studied conversation with someone about this topic

And I'm a fan of The Prince, a fine book!
You do have a point. Unless the Vessko is different in that ballast area, which there could be something there to take up that space, the Type 2 space there may be different. I would like to contact the museum and see what they know. These museum people know quite a bit and there may be someone who knows all the differences between the two boats.

Yes, I often have my nose in good military theory literature.
Old 12-22-13, 01:34 PM   #26
postalbyke
Chief

Just in case anyone wanders through here, my current computer's video card isn't very strong, and doesn't even show interiors on s3d.
Also, school has been very rough with me for this last little bit, so this project got pushed to the back. I am hoping after I a) graduate or b) get some time and money, I can continue this project!

I hope to get some work on this done in the next year, school allowing!

Merry Solstice, Christmas, and New Year, everyone!
Old 11-20-18, 05:07 PM   #27
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266
Uploads: 0

Any progres? I like ducks...
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-18, 05:42 PM   #28
ThePrody
not dead yet

Downloads: 130

you can play WAC5.01 , there is a full interior for type II optional mod .

Last edited by ThePrody; 11-21-18 at 06:59 AM.
ThePrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-18, 06:46 AM   #29
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrody View Post
you an play WAC5.01 , there is a full interior for type II optional mod .
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-18, 03:50 PM   #30
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

That sounds good, but problem is, that i'm working on my super mod focused on type II and type VII subs...
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote