SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-20, 02:53 PM   #1
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0
Default Returning to SH3...and need help.

I have been away from SH3 for many years and I'm having a hard time setting things up. I have made several inquiries regarding a few issues but I thought I would try a single post with the various questions I have. Let me start with my system:
Windows7 Ultimate (64 bit), Service pack 1

Nvidea GeForce 970

DirectX Runtime 11

How I would like to play SH3:
SH3 is on it's own, dedicated HDD

GWX Gold 3.0
SH3 Commander

I have installed:
4Gb_Patch_for_SH3 (at least I think I did...did not use JSGME...should I?).
I have not installed SH3 Commander, as of yet. Did not know if it affects the Academy missions, so I held off.

So far, after my GWX 3.0 installation, I have been trying to correct things in a piecemeal manner...and I'm worried about conflicts. List of issues, so far:
1. Clicking in periscope view, Uzo view, etc. to move the view direction with the mouse, results in the mouse being on the "FIRE" button when trying to release the view by clicking again...and fires a torpedo before I am ready.

2. Screen resolution. I am trying to get rid of the "stretching" I see with screens when in 1920X1080 resolution. I would like everything to be "round" again...not oblong. I have no idea how to fix this. I have tried setting the D3D9.cfg to 1440X1080...but this locks up SH3 after the loading screens. I cannot find a way to set my PC graphics to a 4:3 resolution with nVidea settings.

3. here are my JSGME mods installed, so far...I seem to have a lot of conflicts indicated?

And a shot of my folder where I have saved many mods, over the years, that I used in previous SH3 "lives". (Many may no longer apply to GWX 3.0 and SH3 Commander):

I realize that I am asking a lot, here. I just feel like my piecemeal attempts at getting SH3 running the way I would like are just going to cause more problems?

Some of the downloads in the folder above may no longer apply to SH3 with GWX 3.0 and SH3 Commander.

I am perfectly willing to start all over again, with a fresh install, based upon your suggestions...whatever it takes to make SH3 fun and usable again. I am sure that I will come up with more questions, going forward but, for know, I just want an install that works, that alleviates the 2 issues, above, and doesn't create any mod "conflicts".

I am grateful for any guidance and suggestions.
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 03:34 PM   #2
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Not to stray off topic, but I can not help but see a file folder labeled "WaW". Wolves at War??

Good hunting
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-20, 06:50 PM   #3
stork100
Weps

Downloads: 92

No you don't need to install the 4GB patch with JSGME. You need to run the 4GB patch file and let it patch your SH3.exe located in the main SilentHunterIII folder. That's all you have to do with this.

The type of installation you want sounds quite simple and attainable, and by the sounds of it you're almost there. You have GWX installed and functioning correctly and I believe you can install SH3 Commander any time without doing any damage. There are however some special configuration files required for its use with GWX3 if you haven't got them already:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=147567

I believe your issues 1 and 2 can both be effectively resolved by downloading and installing through JSGME one of the new widescreen GUI mods. I appreciate your desire to maintain a minimalist installation, but the fact is that it is now 2020 (for a bit more anyway) and SH3 was designed for 4:3 back in 2005. If you can't get that aspect ratio working on your machine then I'd say save yourself a lot of frustration and get a widescreen GUI mod. The modders have put in countless hours of work to make your life easier! See the SHIII mods section to see what's available.

Also, mod conflicts are quite normal and often aren't that much of a concern. If the game works properly to your liking then you've got nothing to worry about. You can use JSGME to detect and evaluate any obvious issues. Sometimes just rearranging things a bit fixes any problems.

Last edited by stork100; 12-30-20 at 07:06 PM. Reason: grammar
stork100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-20, 11:27 AM   #4
prowler3
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
Not to stray off topic, but I can not help but see a file folder labeled "WaW". Wolves at War??

Good hunting
FUBAR295

Yes. Don't know if they still operate.
Old 12-31-20, 11:30 AM   #5
prowler3
XO

One concern I have is mods in my folder that are older, and may not work with a widescreen GUI. I guess I'll just try them and see.
Old 12-31-20, 12:09 PM   #6
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler3 View Post
Yes. Don't know if they still operate.
No, we close shop while ago. Sure miss it though.

It's nice to see former members every so often.
Good hunting,
FUBAR295
aka von at WAW

Old 12-31-20, 12:23 PM   #7
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
One concern I have is mods in my folder that are older, and may not work with a widescreen GUI. I guess I'll just try them and see.
If there are mods on that list that may have updated versions, you can check Plissken 04 and S7rikeback archives, great resources for those that may be needed.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Old 12-31-20, 12:32 PM   #8
prowler3
XO

One more for now:
If I use the "ARB WideGui 1920x1080 v0.3"...do I still need to run "SH3_XPSP2_Res_Fix_for_1.4b.zip"?
Old 12-31-20, 03:37 PM   #9
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
One more for now:
If I use the "ARB WideGui 1920x1080 v0.3"...do I still need to run "SH3_XPSP2_Res_Fix_for_1.4b.zip"?
Not sure that you do, but have a look here ;

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=232178

It says nothing about SH3_XPSP2_Res_Fix_for_1.4b being needed.

Maybe some one else has the definitive answer.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295