SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-21, 11:05 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Weird Save Bug in TMO

As approach the release for my update for TMO. Have one big bug want to try and hash out instead of just live with it. Also, wondering if anyone else is having the issue?

Basically, when i reload a saved game, TMO fails to record most if not all ships sunk and will listed objectives met as not met.

Example: Sunk 31000 tons in a patrol 5 ships down in late 1943. As was coming in to Fremantle got a rare CTD. Reloaded last save, no ships credited as sunk. Quite aggravating. Happened other times. Sometimes will just credit some of the ships. Funny thing though, even if game says zero ships sunk, those sunk still show up in my log .

I kind of forgot about this bug as I rarely get CTD and tend to not exit game during patrol. When have to leave it put in a safe location and leave sim running in real time, come back and finish patrol. Primarily because game does weird things sometimes on reloaded saves ranging from spawning sunken vessels to vessels running coast acting strange etc.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 11:52 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Bad Save data is corrupted data, of course, and can happen in any one of a number of ways. It would be nice if the game has a Save Data Check as you went to Save, or a Loading Data Check, or something, that could say "you have an invalid texture name called for the Salmon submarine", but it doesn't... Finding the issue(s) is the hard part... every edit has the potential to cause harm to the data...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 03:08 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
As approach the release for my update for TMO. Have one big bug want to try and hash out instead of just live with it. Also, wondering if anyone else is having the issue?

Basically, when i reload a saved game, TMO fails to record most if not all ships sunk and will listed objectives met as not met.

Example: Sunk 31000 tons in a patrol 5 ships down in late 1943. As was coming in to Fremantle got a rare CTD. Reloaded last save, no ships credited as sunk. Quite aggravating. Happened other times. Sometimes will just credit some of the ships. Funny thing though, even if game says zero ships sunk, those sunk still show up in my log .

I kind of forgot about this bug as I rarely get CTD and tend to not exit game during patrol. When have to leave it put in a safe location and leave sim running in real time, come back and finish patrol. Primarily because game does weird things sometimes on reloaded saves ranging from spawning sunken vessels to vessels running coast acting strange etc.
IF (notice the big if) you have been applying/un-applying mods (like testing things) prior to this strange behavior, then your SaveFolder (C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Documents\FO2\data\cfg) is probably out of sync and therefore corrupted.

SH4 keeps files and data in the Savefolder for its own reasons and when we (mod-users) change the underlying parameters, in some cases, constantly, the current parameters get out of sync with what Ubi has stored. This, coupled with the completely horrible error checking (refer to PB's numerous posts on the subject), is fertile ground for the hated CTD.

it's probably not your mod-set, it is the plethora of changes that you keep using and changing.
clear out the savefolder, rebuild your config, try it again.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-21, 04:58 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
IF (notice the big if) you have been applying/un-applying mods (like testing things) prior to this strange behavior, then your SaveFolder (C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Documents\FO2\data\cfg) is probably out of sync and therefore corrupted.

SH4 keeps files and data in the Savefolder for its own reasons and when we (mod-users) change the underlying parameters, in some cases, constantly, the current parameters get out of sync with what Ubi has stored. This, coupled with the completely horrible error checking (refer to PB's numerous posts on the subject), is fertile ground for the hated CTD.

it's probably not your mod-set, it is the plethora of changes that you keep using and changing.
clear out the savefolder, rebuild your config, try it again.

Actually believe it happened on a fresh install but can't say for sure yet. Once finished with current patrol (end of war, dont want to lose the career) will do fresh install and see how it does.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote