SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-21, 04:24 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Fallout 4 recommended mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
For what it's worth, I just picked up Fallout 4 a few days ago. I was a massive fan of FO3 and New Vegas, but passed on FO4 at release and just never got around to picking it up. But it's on sale on Steam at the mo, and I got the GotY edition. having fun with it. You mentioned the settlement side of the game and I've just dipped my toes in to that. If you have any tips that would make this a better experience for me I'd like to hear them. Or any general FO4 tips. I'm level 8 or 9. If you know of a Fallout thread to move the discussion to that is cool, as I don't want to derail this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
My most important tip for F4 is: mods. Beef up the enemy hostility and fighting activity, turn it all into a nb attklefield, the main quest is not relevant, as with all Bethesda games. Mods for improving the environment, it's looks. total black night, better and more light options. Advanced Follower mod, allowing you to form small parties of up to 5 followers. I will step up a small list of things I think are really interesting, will post it in some hours or tomorrow. Come back then.

Doing a lot of The Hunter still, after almost ten years.

And here we go:
Old 08-21-21, 04:31 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

I use these, and trhe sequence is the order in which the game lists them. I am not at Nexus, but use the ingame mod menu. I use more mods than these, but the others are indiovodual companions or wepaons, stuff, that is a quesiton of taste. I marked the mods that especially significantly change the gameplay and make the world much more - well, its a rumble pit, and looks better, and darker at night.

There are severla mods out there that add vegetation back to the worlds. The war is long ago and the planet is supporting life, so why no grass and bushes coming back?

Deadly Wasteland
Endless Warfare
True Storms
Coloured Workshop Lights
War of the Commonwealth (WOTC, apparently discontinued now)
Healthier Commonwealth
Deadly Gunners of the Commonwelath
Deadly Raiders o.t.C.

Everyone'S Best Friend (Dogmeat)
Dogmeat doesn't affect stealth
Manufacturing Extended
Real Nights with shorter Real (something)
Settlements Light Out
Diamond City Surplus Now Has Everything
Snappable Junk Fence
closethatdoormod
Settlement Management Software
Conquest Build New Settlements
Lowpolys Settlement Furniture
Workshop Rearranged
Portable Jetpack
Endless Warfare DLC Fixes
SKK Instant Battleground
Amazing Follower Tweaks AFT
Improved Brotherhood of Steel
SKK Combat Stalkers
Cheat Terminal
SKK Fast Start New Game
SKK Settlement Attack System

Red stuff is the top stuff.
Old 08-23-21, 07:59 AM   #3
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Thanks for taking the time to provide that list. Noted. It would be interesting to know what you like about each one, but no need to expand on it.

Mods disable achievements? I have not installed any mod yet, and I've reached level 15.

Mod suggestions are welcome, but the thing I was asking about was settlement tips. Just curious of you had any ideas to streamline that or do them in a better or more efficient way. Like for example how much effort you put in to arming the settlers, how you go about it.

I've been rolling with Piper for a few hours. But so far I'm not too keen on the follower thing. It might be cool for the story, commentary, quests and that sort of thing, but from a tactical perspective it's pants lol. Constantly crossing my sight lines during combat which is annoying AF. The companion bonuses are not so strong I can't live without them. I might go back to dog meat and just ignore this. I'll give Nick a go too and then decide. A loner's more my style anyway, so I'm leaning toward going the Lone Wanderer route after all.

Made it to level 15 yesterday so moving right along. I wish I had spent my SPECIAL points slightly differently. I would have put a couple fewer points in Intelligence, and more in Luck and Charisma. I thought high Intelligence would pay off with more XP, but then I saw the Idiot Savant perk and that makes up for having low INT, although the trigger sound is also annoying AF. I'd love to replace that sound with something like the objective tone from Thief 2. Luck has the best group of perks for me.

I started with 3 Charisma, dropped another point with a book and then trained a fifth point and still have passed a single speech check so far. Knowing what I know now I should have put one less point in Perception and spent it in Agility. Even so I'm still doing fine but with some time in the game I can see a better starting build than what I went with.

I like the change that makes energy weapons use the normal perks instead of having its own. I'm dropping points in all three of Rifleman, Commando and Gunslinger. This way any weapon I pick up will be covered with additional damage output and the other bonuses such as ignoring a percentage of armor. The gunplay's pretty good in FO4, at least the free-aim is better than the previous games. In a sense it feels like FO4 is a shooter with RPG elements, whereas New Vegas and FO3 felt more like RPGs with shooter elements.
Old 08-23-21, 01:58 PM   #4
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Downloads: 349

https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news...change-2990283

Nexus is the place to go but that's now in question

"'Fallout 4' modders are deleting their mods to protest Nexus Mods change. After a change to Nexus Mods which means modders will soon be unable to delete their own mods, Fallout 4 modders are using the one-month grace period to pull their content from the site"

Old 08-23-21, 02:20 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

If you use those of the listed mods that turn the environment more hostile and the enemies more potent and numerous, you will like to have some helping hands around. Some of those enemy mods really turn up the volume. It becomes a war zone.

I tend to establish bases outside the pre-set places allowed by the game, the Conquest Build New Settlement mod allows that. I tend to cheat a lot, because building a new castle, garrison, whatever is most of the fun, and as I said: the environment can become very hostile with these mods, you also get a lot of loot if you survive and do not let others survive. For example there is a parking house east of the Commons that I like to build in. Nothing is better than to have a little turtle bunker to turtle in, well protected. Feels cozy. Feels likehome.

I also like to use Abarnathy farm, and equip the settlers there, reinfoce their place, and give them additional guards.

Well, the possibilities are endless. I m ostky play sneaky, stealthy, hiding and using silenced sniper rifles.

There are more mods I use, I did only list those with really decisive changes on the gameplay and general feel. I tend to cheat for additonal guards in bases, and tend to have them kind of uniform per place. For exmaple this place only this kind of cloathing or armour and this or that type of weapons only. Collecting the needed stuff if part of my gameplay.

I also sometimes trigger an onslaught of the AI with 8x8 hostiles, in an urban place at night, and then its hide and seek and cats and mice all night long. Great fun.

Go for the Jetpack early. Its a life insurrance, and also gives you access to a complete new world - that world several floors above your usual playing ground.

Check the mods carfully. Some of them come with setup menus you want to carefully tweak to your needs.

---

On the Hunter games, I play Classic since almost ten years now. I recommend to enjoy the immersion they allow, and play them as a relaxation. Do not be noisy, do not stand tall in the open, do not run around, and all in all do not do things you would not do in real hunting life as well. In COTA you must expoect to see aniumnakl aI ehaving odd and robotic, unfortunately. You kill one deer in herd, the herd flees for 20 seiocnbds,m then turns 180° and slwoly wlaks back, you klill the next, and it all repeats. If you do not stop yourself from douijng so, you can massacre the whol herd that way withoth needing to move yourself. Well. they have not fixed this since years and and they will not fix it. So, just dont do it, you have more fun that way. Shoot, kill, and then behave as if no more animals are there, harvest the torphy, leave the place and start new somewhere else. Its realistic, though not enforced by the game. Use any kind of binocular a lot, often the fur of animals is such that they are incredibly hard to spot if you do not "binucularise" them. Beware some of the species. While some can maul you in defence (elks for exmaple), others can actively hunt for you once you shot at them (wolf packs for exmaple in COTW). None of these games is perfect, but I find them very relaxing and satisfying if not trying to abuse their weaknesses and not pushing them beyond their envelope. I just allow to get immersed in the looks, especially COTW. I recommend all the reserves for it, they look different and are really beautiful. Its okay for me if I play one or two hours - and have not shot anything. Can happen. On other times I have had two dozen kills in 3 hours. Classic makes a big deal of shooting females where you shouldn'T, and using wrong callibre. COTW is far more forgiving and uncaring for these things. If you hunt for improving your statistics, use Classic. If you play for immerison and virtuality having some time in the woods for the sake of just being there, use COTW. It has its weaknesses, absolutely. But it looks beautiful, all reserves.

Last edited by Skybird; 08-23-21 at 02:33 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 02:36 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

P.S. I once wrote a beginners guide for Classic Multiplayer, you can find it here:

https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopi...daeb703ae84a4b

or here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/25371...4934365625266/

Note that the viewing range of the game meanhwile got increased, due to improving PC specs. Also, several aspects are no longer valid since the game has changed its business model fundamentally some time ago.

There is the COTW wiki: https://thehuntercotw.fandom.com/wik..._the_Wild_Wiki

And the Classic Wiki: https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Animals
Old 08-23-21, 04:04 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg322 View Post
https://www.nme.com/news/gaming-news...change-2990283

Nexus is the place to go but that's now in question

"'Fallout 4' modders are deleting their mods to protest Nexus Mods change. After a change to Nexus Mods which means modders will soon be unable to delete their own mods, Fallout 4 modders are using the one-month grace period to pull their content from the site"

All mods I listed I got NOT from Nexus but via the ingame Bethesda mod workshop (not via Steam, F4 has no Steam workshop. How I miss how it was with Skyrim).
Old 08-25-21, 10:37 AM   #8
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I've not seen a jetpack, nor had any mention of it that I recall. Maybe I'll stumble on it and avoid spoilers for now. I'm level 23 now.

I appreciate the mod advice, but so far I'm unmodded. Frankly, I need to play a game for a while to know what I might like to change. No mods for modding's sake. FO4 isn't the most stable game I've played, it's crashed a few times already, usually when fast traveling, and adding mods won't do anything to reduce this. There are a few I will probably install at some point, but at 50 hours in I'm not feeling compelled to do so yet.

I'm having a good time with this game. It had been years since I had played a Fallout game and it's cool to do it again. So many neat touches that appeal to me.

I got ballistic weave after reading about it on the 'net. I probably wouldn't have done so otherwise. That is a big boost to armour rating.

On a different forum I talked about how I regretted my initial build, the way I spent my SPECIAL points. Having gotten in to the game it became clear how I should have done it. Anyway, this is what I wrote there and just adding it here

If I were to do it over this is how I would have spent my initial SPECIAL points. Since levels have no cap, and points and perks are not limited (until you run out of perks), it isn't that big of a deal. But if I had paid more attention, and knew what I know now, this is how I would have gone at the start.

Strength (3) -- To get to the Armorer perk. Not too concerned with melee, and while additional carry capacity is worthwhile, each SPECIAL point only raises the capacity by 10, which isn't worth a point to me.

Perception (4) -- To get the Locksmith perk, which is very useful. Five points would get Demolition Expert, and that was my plan. But I hadn't realized you cannot throw grenades in VATS any longer, which sucks, and so I'd keep it at 4. This affects VATS accuracy too though. Then again, with better shooting mechanics in FO4 VATS is not so crucial any more.

Endurance (1) -- Dump stat. The perks in this tree are mostly centered around survival, damage resistance, chems and so on. Useful, but for me the least important tree and points are better spent elsewhere.

Charisma (4) -- The target is Local Leader at level 6, but not needed right away, and the first You're Special can be spent to raise it to 5. Then train, find another book or find the bobblehead to get to 6 to get Local Leader, which networks your settlements and allows higher-tier buildings. Can be ignored if you ignore the settlement side to the game. But if you don't you'll want the Local Leader perk.

Intelligence (4) -- To get to Hacker. I made the mistake of sinking 7 points in to INT, because I thought that was a good idea to get more XP. But with the Idiot Savant perk (Luck tree) this really wasn't necessary, and I don't care about the level 5, 6 and 7 perks (Scrapper, Science, Chemist). This would have given me three points back. This decision nags at me. It's the sort of thing that usually makes me start over eventually. But since points are unlimited in FO4 I'll stay the course and can correct this over time.

Agility (5) -- To get to Action Boy. VATS is less vital for me in FO4, but it's still fun to use and can be a life saver in tight situations against mobs. 3 points to get to Sneak is bare minimum. Sneak is very powerful in Fallout.

Luck (7) -- To get to Critical Banker. Aside from Bloody Mess (level 3) I like every perk in this tree and if I were to eventually max one out it will be Luck.
Old 08-25-21, 10:47 AM   #9
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

fallout 4 un official patch is recommended for bug fixes
Old 08-25-21, 11:36 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

The Jetpack is available on a shelf in the superduper market in Lexington, once the mod is actiavted.

What it does, is this: normally, the Jetpack is available only for power armour, you can create it normally in the game if you have the skill level, by altering your powerarmour accordingly. It adds the same technology in a pack that you can wear like a backpack, no matter your armour, you do not need powerarmour.

I tend to not use it for powerarmour. And I play in powerarmour only rarely anyway.
Old 08-25-21, 11:41 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Consider the light mods, darker nights and lights out. It makes things more realistic at night, imo. It makes no sense to have all these light sources at night in a world as devastated as this one.

It can also create meeting situations with big surprise effect. I have had "get scared!"-moments with it, really. Its not oitchblack, but much darker than the default night world.

I have occasional crashes, too, everybody has, but the modding status does not affect the frequency of this with the only exception of the WOTC (war of the commonwealth) if that is tuned with too many enemies and gangs, it overwhelms the CPU indeed. I mean it turns streets and blocks into real warzone, with dozens of enemies starting to go after each others throats. I use it, but only at medium settings outside cities, and low settings inside cities (can be tuned separately).
Old 08-26-21, 12:58 PM   #12
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Haha so much for avoiding jetpack spoilers

Appreciate the comments and advice. I'm sticking with no mods for now, but that may change. I'm enjoying vanilla and maybe modding's for a second run.

Level 25 now, I'm probably going lone wanderer as the companions aren't working for me. Just me and the dog in the wastes.
Old 08-27-21, 04:37 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

I did not consider it to be a spoiler. That powerarmour can be equipped with self-made jetpacks, is known since long and is a usual game element. That now even unarmoured people can find one such unit (not craft it, so the item still is really unique!), is the only change. And it makes no sense, imo, to demand a player to search for one single item, in this world of Fallout 4, a huge place, without any hints on where too look and what to look for.

I think of it this way, that when you move aoprudn in heavy armour, you first must get out of its cockpit to become light enough to fly. Also, you may have enjoyed proteciton from the armour (at the cost of noise), but if you want to win in vertical mobility, you must accept to lose a bit of protection. And as I said, some of the mods I listed make the enemies more lethal and much, much more numerous.

However, if you feel a loss due to my revelation, I'm sorry.
Old 08-27-21, 05:33 AM   #14
Cyborg322
Scurvy Dog of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Haha so much for avoiding jetpack spoilers

Appreciate the comments and advice. I'm sticking with no mods for now, but that may change. I'm enjoying vanilla and maybe modding's for a second run.

Level 25 now, I'm probably going lone wanderer as the companions aren't working for me. Just me and the dog in the wastes.

With the vanilla game you almost certainly will run into bugs with dialogues which can be a pain to resolve. Console commands can get you out of some situations
Old 08-27-21, 07:41 AM   #15
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
However, if you feel a loss due to my revelation, I'm sorry.

No, nothing so serious. I just found it funny that I said I would avoid spoilers and the very next post was full of them. It's fine.

Cyborg, I've not noticed that, the technical issues I've seen have all been stability related. CTDs at times, usually when fast traveling.