Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 02-19-12, 06:05 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default X-Plane 10 - Anyone having experienced it?

It has some stunning features, and finally, finally there is a general aviation flight sim supporting multiple cores. The world simulation seems to be superior to FS, and by far.

Doesn't look shabby, I would say:

80 GB installation size. Now that is a strong statement!

Anyone having experienced it?
Old 02-19-12, 10:00 PM   #2
Falkirion
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 34

An 80GB initial installation? Yeesh. That's before people start making all the static scenery and repaints.
Falkirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 10:41 AM   #3
krashkart
Navy Seal

Downloads: 100

Skybird - I've had good experiences with X-Plane -- I run v7.99. My youngest cousin just bought version 10 and he says that most of the installation size is the scenery. He also says that it is a thing of beauty. I don't think you would be disappointed if you made the purchase.

EDIT: It's more than just a simulator. You also get PlaneMaker and a few other tools to modify the sim. You can customize aircraft or create new ones, add and/or customize airports, create new types of airfoils for wings and props, and stuff like that. And as I recall there are a whole slew of addons you can download, most if not all of which are free.

EDIT2: Plus you can fly on Earth, or explore the surface of Mars in specialized aircraft.
Old 04-05-12, 01:53 PM   #4
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

And JustFlight have got 10% off everything till Monday.
Old 04-05-12, 03:46 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashkart View Post
Skybird - I've had good experiences with X-Plane -- I run v7.99. My youngest cousin just bought version 10 and he says that most of the installation size is the scenery. He also says that it is a thing of beauty. I don't think you would be disappointed if you made the purchase.

EDIT: It's more than just a simulator. You also get PlaneMaker and a few other tools to modify the sim. You can customize aircraft or create new ones, add and/or customize airports, create new types of airfoils for wings and props, and stuff like that. And as I recall there are a whole slew of addons you can download, most if not all of which are free.

EDIT2: Plus you can fly on Earth, or explore the surface of Mars in specialized aircraft.
I would still be interested if meanwhile I wouldn't have found out that there is a terrible lack of complex flightdeck addons a la PMDG, may it be the 737NGX or at least the older 747 package of theirs. Checking the aerosoft site for X-plane aircraft for example made me feel very lonely and left behind.

But doing the cockpit of an airliner, today is almost the only and exclusive thing that still has me interested in flightsimming. Maybe I have overstayed the time of this hobby. After all it has been over two decades for me already.

I snapped up a rumour some weeks ago that PMDG is doing a module for x-Plane, but it was not said which plane it is. If it is the 737 or at least the 747, then I might try X-plane, to escape the technical issues with modern OS and hardware that FS has, and to have full benefit from multicores and gfx-board. I would feel tempted by the iFly 737 getting converted, too.
Old 04-05-12, 05:37 PM   #6
krashkart
Navy Seal

This might be a good place to start looking for what you want, Skybird:

http://forums.x-plane.org//index.php...dule=downloads

I've found some pretty interesting stuff there before.
Old 04-05-12, 06:21 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Hm, in the payware aircraft section, nothing of the callibre I described above. Did I miss something? I admit I did not spend an hour, but just flew over it.

Again I am only interested in things comparing in complexity and system-depth to PMDG 747, PMDG 737NGX or iFly 737 at least. If it does not look like stuff for FS2000, it wouldn't hurt either.
Old 04-05-12, 06:24 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

What the...?

Now we are talking serious, baby!

http://www.flightsimulatornetwork.com/topic/2817-pmdg-for-x-plane-10/

http://board.vacc-sag.org/42/49152/

Not completely the same info, the first saying they have a working beta for the 737ngx, the second - and newer - saying they are still evaluating which plane to do for X-plane, with the 737ngx being one of the two options mentioned by name.

Anyhow, it will still take a long time, I think. The 737ngx would be an extremely complex package to do.

However, PMDG seems to worry about X-Plane 10 becoming a healthy and thriving platform for which to develope would be an enterprise that returns the needed commercial success. There is always the chance that they cancel their engagement, if they assess XP10 to be not promising enough, commercially. I think it depends on other heavy weight developers also boarding the X-plane. Seen this way, the unimpressiveness of recent release "Flight" by Microsoft may work in support of X-Plane, since Microsoft failed to introduce an alternative in functionality that is technically up top date with XP10. While Flight seems to look nice, its content seems to be anything but impressive, reviews say.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-05-12 at 06:37 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 06:58 PM   #9
krashkart
Navy Seal

Well, if they've already released a Beta I would imagine that a fully functional release will be forthcoming. I guess only time will tell, right? If they do it would be the most complete aircraft I've ever seen for X-Plane.

TBH my favorite addon was the B-36 Peacekeeper. I modified their panel to include modern GPS and NAVCOMs, and added a sound file from a S-3 Viking addon to give the turbojets a more powerful sound. Really made the experience for me.
Old 04-11-12, 06:29 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

I understand that most of the monumental installation size of XP is world data. I assume this world data is not being adressed and replaced in every update they publish, but updates are tweaking the core engine, and the planes.

Obviously there are quite some things that need patching, they release patches at a very high frequences currently.

How big are the download sizes for such updates? I'm on a DSL 3000 (maximum) connection, and if it were several gigabyte in data I need to download every couple of days or every two weeks, then this would not really mean pleasure.