Default Time to buy Dr. Seuss books

The following six Dr. Seuss books won't be reprinted in the future
  • "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
  • "If I Ran the Zoo"
  • "McElligot's Pool"
  • "On Beyond Zebra!"
  • "Scrambled Eggs Super!"
  • "The Cat's Quizzer"
Naturally, these will become highly sought after books only because they won't be reprinted.

I like Dr. Seuss books, but to be honest, I had not heard of any of these.
Old 03-02-21, 02:35 PM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

I haven't either, the cynic in me is strong today, do you think these books have the worst sales record and its a marketing ploy to drum up some extra business, I'll bet its not the first time its happened.
Old 03-02-21, 02:53 PM   #3
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I haven't either, the cynic in me is strong today, do you think these books have the worst sales record and its a marketing ploy to drum up some extra business, I'll bet its not the first time its happened.
Nope. It's because of "racist imagery."
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 03:17 PM   #4
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Yes, i guess they will soon ban any child books that try to steer child's behaviour by threatening with bad consequences.. like taking a walk in the woods, being captured by witches and so on. And the poor wolves...

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 03:32 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

A long campaign for rewriting the youth books by Enid Blyton due to unwated "gender stereotyping" has been successful in Germany two or three years ago, at least the German editions are planned to get republished in gender-correct editions and in correct gender-speak.

There are demands to edit Asterix comics for it, too, plus they are so stereotpying nationalities and again, gender. And that brutality in them! There have been efforts in Europe to just ban them.

Grimms' fairy tales are to be redone due to the young psyche-hurting cruelty in them. Also, "mothers" and "fathers" have to be gotten rid off, linguistically.

Several other child books (speaking of kindergarden age!) are getting the full treatment, too.

There is a push for getting sexual roles in sexual relations being treated in picture books for the smallest of kids, 4, 5, 6, 7 years old.

At university, papers can no longer be handed in if you do not use gender correct new-speak. You are not being left with a choice of whether wanting to comply with it or not - you get boycotted and forced into compliance if you don't, you dont get grades and cannot pass exams if you dont. Politicians and public services and media must use gender new-speak, and do (for English speakers it maybe is not fully understood what absurd and stupid contortions this causes in German language - with its more complex grammar than English -, which before had a fully functional and intact grammar). Its not just the written word - its also the spoken word. You have to make artifical breaks and pauses in mid-word now to express some gender stupid nonsense by this "pronounciation" now and treat the femininum and maskulinum equally. As a result you sound like a stammerer.

I forsee the near times when you will get sued as a private person if you committed the crime to use gender -incorrect grammar and wording in the public sphere. Its not a big step to that anymore. Watch your tongue.

Some months ago, a representative poll found that a majority of Germans think that you are no longer free to speak your opinion freely in Germany. A majority said they do not dare that anymore. Social repression and the militias of many different self-proclaimed thougth polices and gender ideology guardians are a real threat now. And they ruin job careers, assault reputations, defame individuals and destroy existences already now. The social mobbing and metaphorical lynching continues at universities were speakers and tutors get forced to leave the podium and are being yelled down.

I loved Enid Blyton novels when I was young, I speed-ate them, so to speak. I also still love Asterix, and I loved the brothers Grimm fairy tales.

The destruction of culture and tradition and all the personal cozy memories it holds for me, I will never forgive this ideological scum of utmost brutal egoism. My contempt for these kind of creatures has reached unlimited levels. I feel nothing for them, nothing. And if they would got off in a blazing flame, I would refuse to raise and see if I could find a bucket for water.

I know that I am not the only one. And this is dangerous, if you push a society that far that more and more of the established basis of it feels like this. Its degenerations like this that make people like me maybe not actively supporting or voting for parties like AfD - but also not stepping into their way and not lifting even the small finger once in defence of the new state order. I refuse to defend this system anymore.

I assume it is a comparable, though different, thing with the strict rejection of non-orange social order in America by the orange legion fanatics. A desperate desire to resist to an ideological "leftification" that has driven its fangs and claws deep into civil society. I think we all sit on a powder keg that sooner or later must and will go Booom. Every action has reaction. A house forced into division like this, will not stand.

Even the Duden - a series of German dictionaries of the German language being the authority for German grammar and spelling - has surrendered to gendering recently. Gender gaps and stars in spelling now are formal reality.

I mentioned this many years ago for the first time already. Quite some of you guys yawned or laughed, thought it were just Skybird lamenting again. I assume you do not yawn and laugh anymore?!

Additional to this I am completely pissed by any stranger and any shop and any advertising approaching me on first name terms (the German "Du") as if we were close buddies, family, intimite friends. The German "Du" is quite intimate and lacks any social respect that usually was seen as common between strangers meeting in a polite context. They may do that for historical habit in Scandinavia, but middle Europe has not formed this habit, and I see it simply as a clumsy attempt of mobbing (=anpöbeln). A reduction of social distance is the result of a process that takes time, sometimes more, sometimes less, and sometimes, in social hierarchical contexts, it even is never desired. To start with the closest form of expressing intimacy and closeness, is in princple and in my perception a form of aggression. A lack of politeness and respect for the other it is at minimum.

Every stranger wants to be my best buddy these days - but I definitely don't want that.

"We call us all by our first names in here, we are "per Du". What is your name?"
"Meyrinck."
"Yeah, and your first name?"
"Herr."

I am not Herr Meyrinck, but I could be him.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-02-21 at 06:18 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-21, 03:47 PM   #6
Catfish

The smart a$$es want to pack children in cotton wool so they are not harmed by brutal realities

a bit OT this reminds me of Larry Niven's (RIP) excellent story about human's first encounter with the Kzin, an aggressive extraterrestrial race.

"At the time all knowledge of warfare and violence had been suppressed by ARM, yet [the human crew] was able to target the Tracker [Kzin ship] with the ship's communication's laser and destroy it with a well directed blast from the ship's drive"
Since aggression had been wiped out by the earth's governments the ship's crew needs psychological help after this gruesome experience (killing the foe, that is)

Last edited by Catfish; 03-02-21 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-02-21, 06:21 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
The smart a$$es want to pack children in cotton wool so they are not harmed by brutal realities

a bit OT this reminds me of Larry Niven's (RIP) excellent story about human's first encounter with the Kzin, an aggressive extraterrestrial race.

"At the time all knowledge of warfare and violence had been suppressed by ARM, yet [the human crew] was able to target the Tracker [Kzin ship] with the ship's communication's laser and destroy it with a well directed blast from the ship's drive"
Since aggression had been wiped out by the earth's governments the ship's crew needs psychological help after this gruesome experience (killing the foe, that is)
Judge Dredd. The Stallone version from 1995, not the newer, more brutal British film from 2012 (titled "Dredd").

Its frightening to see how close present reality has come to that comedy by Stallone. Including New-Speak and nutrition tyranny.
Old 03-03-21, 06:42 AM   #8
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I am glad that I already have my Private Snafu collection already archived.
Old 03-06-21, 06:11 AM   #9
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Judge Dredd. The Stallone version from 1995, not the newer, more brutal British film from 2012 (titled "Dredd").

Its frightening to see how close present reality has come to that comedy by Stallone. Including New-Speak and nutrition tyranny.

Judge Dredd or Demolition Man?
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 06:53 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Demo Man. Stallone played Dredd just once.

The British film from 2012, "Dredd", also is not bad, somehow, but a completely different taste and flavour. And absolutely humour-free.
Old 03-06-21, 07:24 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 11:13 AM   #12
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Demo Man. Stallone played Dredd just once.

The British film from 2012, "Dredd", also is not bad, somehow, but a completely different taste and flavour. And absolutely humour-free.

Ah! I thought you had confuse the films, since Stallone Dredd is a "serious" film and Demolition Man has the satire/comedic tone. How about that 3 sea shells?

2012 Dredd not bad? Best adaptation of the comics, pitty they didn't use the slang language from AD 2000 more. Karl Urban was perfect as Dredd!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 11:26 AM   #13
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

To stay in this Dredd discussion

What if it had been the other way

The movie from 2012 came first and the one with Stallone came second.

Would some of us still say the one with Stallone was the best ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-21, 02:33 PM   #14
Catfish

Regarding OP, childhood trauma builds character

Old 03-06-21, 02:53 PM   #15
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

There are millions of these books in the secondary market so it's amazing hysteria is soaring the prices of them. It's a good time to sell to clueless people.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote