Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-16, 05:04 PM   #1
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default Subsim Skippers Brewhouse Beer Club

How it works: Find and enjoy a new beer, sample it, savor it, make a mental or physical note of your observations and describe it here in this thread!

Format:

Beer Name: type the beer name as it appears on the label

Brewer & Location: Name of Brewery, and location where the brewery is headquartered if known

Image: one or two images of the bottle or label, and maybe an image of it in the glass

Eye: Describe in a few words the look of the beer

Nose: Describe in a few words the scent

Flavor: Describe in a few words the flavor

Comments: Add a few of your own words about the beer

*************** I'll Start us off ********************

Brewhouse Index of Ales (by name)

Last edited by Jimbuna; 08-07-18 at 05:31 AM.
GoldenRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 05:05 PM   #2
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Beer Name: Saratoga Oatmeal Stout

Brewer & Location: Olde Saratoga Brewing Company, Saratoga Springs, NY

Eye: Inky, Jet black, with a thick but not persistent khaki/tan head

Nose: notes of caramel and chocolate, "hoppy", light

Flavor: Smokey, Smooth, very creamy but not heavy on the palate, Rich and complex, but balanced and not-overpowering. Notes of smokey caramel and dark chocolate

Comments: The Saratoga Oatmeal Stout is a truly noteworthy, exceptional stout out of New York, enjoyable, well flavored, it doesn't over power the drinker. A stout which is creamy and rich enough for experienced stout drinkers to respect, but soft enough for the novice to enjoy.
Old 02-28-16, 05:14 PM   #3
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

I have a question about beer and all of the different kinds of beer, ale, etc.

what if you have a place where people eat that offers all kinds of beer local, regional, USA, Canada and Mexico and imports beer by the case from England, Germany etc by the case now and very few of your customers ever purchase the beer from overseas.

Got me so far?

How long will the beer last in the back storage room in a dry dark area?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-16, 05:31 PM   #4
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Generally in a situation like that a restaurant or bar will order very little of their least "popular" beers.

As with any food or drink, freshness is important, and beer is no different. Of course it depends on the beer and how it is bottled/canned and stored. a good rule of thumb would be that a cool dry place or refrigeration will hold a beer for anywhere between six months and a year.

restaurants are going to have the advantage of reviewing past sales data of course, so they are able then to order more of the beer that sells and less of the beer that doesnt.

it is best to keep it refrigerated, or in a storage area that is not subject to temperature changes. If for example your basement or store room holds a pretty constant average temperature without much fluctuation - that is the best storage conditions

EDIT: i will add, that beers with a higher % of alcohol content will shelf for longer periods of time than lite beers with a lower % of alcohol content.
Old 03-01-16, 09:23 PM   #5
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

I brew a beer at home. German pilsner, dark Munich and rye malts filtered through Juniper branches and berries. I've pitched Red Star fresh bakers yeast but that is becoming hard to find these days. Now I use and quite happy with Wyeast 1084. Though from what I understand the key to success is to use Finnish Bakers Yeast unfortunately its only found in Finland and its too damn expensive to ship and only keeps for a limited time.

Anyway, I dont add hops nor do I boil or pasteurize the wort. I just pitch the yeast and two weeks or so later I siphon straight from the pail 11% homebrew sahti. Since its not boiled all the wonderous healthy bacteria and protiens aren't killed off. Makes for a very healthy drunk... err, Im mean drink!

Next time I make it I'll post a pic.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 12:41 AM   #6
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

What do you call it?
Old 03-02-16, 01:51 AM   #7
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

If I post here with a beer review before 1/6/2017, please call the police
Old 03-02-16, 04:11 AM   #8
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

C'mon Rockstar, samples or it didn't happen

I have 5 different bottles I got for my birthday to test and 3 from a local microbrewery so I'l play this game
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 08:24 AM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betonov View Post
C'mon Rockstar, samples or it didn't happen

I have 5 different bottles I got for my birthday to test and 3 from a local microbrewery so I'l play this game
Get the killer mead out

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 12:13 PM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default As a former Budweiser and Miller beer hauler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I brew a beer at home. German pilsner, dark Munich and rye malts filtered through Juniper branches and berries. I've pitched Red Star fresh bakers yeast but that is becoming hard to find these days. Now I use and quite happy with Wyeast 1084. Though from what I understand the key to success is to use Finnish Bakers Yeast unfortunately its only found in Finland and its too damn expensive to ship and only keeps for a limited time.

Anyway, I dont add hops nor do I boil or pasteurize the wort. I just pitch the yeast and two weeks or so later I siphon straight from the pail 11% homebrew sahti. Since its not boiled all the wonderous healthy bacteria and protiens aren't killed off. Makes for a very healthy drunk... err, Im mean drink!

Next time I make it I'll post a pic.
U forgot the MOLAßIS !
Quote:
George Washington’s small beer recipe, as written in his diary:

To Make Small Beer
Take a large Siffer [Sifter] full of Bran Hops to your Taste.–Boil these 3 hours then strain out 30 Gall[ons] into a cooler put in 3 Gall[ons] Molaßes while the Beer is Scalding hot or rather draw the Molaßes into the cooler & St[r]ain the Beer on it while boiling Hot. Let this stand till it is little more than Blood warm then put in a quart of Yea[s]t if the Weather is very Cold cover it with a Blank[et] & let it Work in the Cooler 24 hours then put it into the Cask–leave the bung open till it is almost don[e] Working–Bottle it that day Week it was Brewed.
My neighbor, three doors down, brews his own in the garage- I gave him my used bottles and George's recipe. My other neighbor across the street works for Carneros micro Brewery! My daughter is dating a student beer-maker-in-training who knows all about Belgian beer....so who knows...Fortunately the local Lucky's market sells Hamm's! Something we can 'still' ALL steer by BBY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 12:26 PM   #11
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Nothing finer than a Shiner.
Old 03-02-16, 12:29 PM   #12
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
What do you call it?

Its called Sahti or in the case of 11% ABV Mighty Sahti anything less is for women, or so Ive been told, lol. Its a beer which has been around for a very longtime and yet there's really no set recipe to follow it varies from region to region. And instead of useing a hollowed out log as a mash tun and milk can. I use a 10 gallon igloo cooler with a false bottom, a six gallon glass carboy or plastic fermentation pail.

I get a nutty, fruity, banana, junipery un carbonated brew that sort of makes one euphoric rather than stumbling drunk. But then I've always been able to hold my liquor better than most . Oh, and I do pasturize it when I bottle as a gift. otherwise I just siphon it straight into a snifter like the fellas in the below video do. good stuff I tellya.

http://brewingtv.com/episodes/2010/1...throwdown.html

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 01:21 PM   #13
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

11% ABV, sounds bloody monster to me, pal. I'd be quite happy getting either euphoric or stumbling drunk on that, buddy Well done you!
Old 03-03-16, 11:00 AM   #14
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
Generally in a situation like that a restaurant or bar will order very little of their least "popular" beers.

As with any food or drink, freshness is important, and beer is no different. Of course it depends on the beer and how it is bottled/canned and stored. a good rule of thumb would be that a cool dry place or refrigeration will hold a beer for anywhere between six months and a year.

restaurants are going to have the advantage of reviewing past sales data of course, so they are able then to order more of the beer that sells and less of the beer that doesnt.

it is best to keep it refrigerated, or in a storage area that is not subject to temperature changes. If for example your basement or store room holds a pretty constant average temperature without much fluctuation - that is the best storage conditions
So I should just fill the empty bottles with tea and put the cap back on, uh?

Then I can say we are out of that one right now.

But what if someone steals the shill?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 09:47 AM   #15
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default WOLF ROCK

"Wolf Rock", a red IPA (India Pale Ale) brewed by Sharp's of Cornwall, UK.

It's a rich dark red and smells deliciously of ROSES; this isn't printed on the label... it's what we smelled when we tried it.

It's powerfully malty + fruity; 4.8% ABV

Tags
beer