SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-18, 04:25 AM   #1
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1
Default How to change snorkel and peri depth for a submarine?

Hi, i'm looking for info on changing the quick depth values set by the commands for subs, you know, shift+3 = shallow, shift+2 = periscope. I've searched arourd this forum here and redrodgers. I've used DW edit - its not in any of the visible fields - I even searched the objects file with a hex editor too in case it was an "unknown field". I've tried looking in the dangerouswaters.exe, and the shipcontrol.dll in sub interfaces, but its not clear to me where it is.

I'm expecting to find a negative numeric value in meters, possibly a floating point.

Anyway, I've lucked out and not found it so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18, 05:00 AM   #2
Pirate
Lieutenant

Downloads: 152
Uploads: 0

Periscope depth is determined by a combination of Object Draftx10, Periscope Mast CenterZ Position and Periscope Mast Length - all this in the database.
Snorkel depth is hardcoded in the ShipControl.dll
Old 05-10-18, 05:10 AM   #3
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

thanks very much

Ill have another look around the shipcontrol file.
Old 05-10-18, 06:07 AM   #4
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Wow, found it!

Thanks, I had looked at the same exact byte before several times but dismissed it (without testing it) because it was a +ve number and too large, but it turns out it was in feet too! Probably a unit conversion routine somewhere. I know the units for a controllable platform are set in the controllers but I was expecting the raw value to be -ve and in meters.

As for periscopes, after your comment I remembered I'd read something a long time ago that multiple values combine to put the peri about 1-2 meters out the water when fully extended but I didn't know which - though it does make sense that it would be those.

In other news...

I've been looking at trying to improve a few textures for the RA mod. Here's an example, the Han Class, the model is decent but the RAmod texture is a bit basic. The image below is basically a cut/paste and rearrangement of the texture from cold waters, but I'm not going to upload because its not really a mod - and its basically stealing a texture from another game (a game I like and play myself). But the image is just to show what the models could look like with a bit of effort.

Last edited by Jace11; 06-04-18 at 03:52 PM.