Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-30-19, 08:16 PM   #106
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

Well..............
I had the game running on windows 10 fine, then a few hours ago I installed new versions 1.48 and the patch 3 for it.

NOW, the game won't run, loading screen stays on and the menu flashes in the background, cant change display to 1200's (which worked yesterday), every option I try and change is changed back after game exits.

This patch really messed up the game and this is on a brand new download of the original game from steam.
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-20, 06:26 PM   #107
terryr64
Nub

Downloads: 7
Default DW Help

Hi guys. I'm struggling to get DW working again. Before I created a game fol der for it but cant remember what I did
terryr64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-20, 11:29 AM   #108
Admiral Hipper
Nub

Icon9 DW Windows 10

For some reason, I'm getting an error where the base game and RA both launch fine, and I get loaded and through to the main menu, but my cursor is stuck mid screen at the menu. I can still move the mouse and things get highlighted and are clickable, but the cursor won't move on screen, Any ideas?
Admiral Hipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-20, 12:08 PM   #109
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default DXWND works!

Here is a link to FPSchazly's instructions on how to get DW working in a window for Windows 10.
I've got mine set up to run at Mode 3 1280x1024 in a 4x3 window. You can either run it in a window or full screen. Since I have multiple monitors I'm running DW windowed in full screen mode and using the other monitor to display other useful files such as Platform Reference and Sonar Profiles.
I'm also currently using the LWAMI 3.11 modset.
Dangerous Waters is playable again!
***IMPORTANT*** Do NOT use the d3d8.dll fix with this, it will not let you run in a window!

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 12-04-20 at 07:53 PM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-22, 10:09 AM   #110
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

Hi,

Trying to get DW working in Windows 10. I used both methods discussed above, it works and I can change resolutions.

Problem is that I have an ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor, so full screen everything is stretched out while in windowed mode, the screen is a small square taking up maybe 60% of the screen.

I seem to recall there was a way to do it so the instrument panels were properly sized with black bands on both sides?
Old 03-14-22, 07:49 PM   #111
Halcyon
Helmsman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Hi,

Trying to get DW working in Windows 10. I used both methods discussed above, it works and I can change resolutions.

Problem is that I have an ultrawide 2560x1080 monitor, so full screen everything is stretched out while in windowed mode, the screen is a small square taking up maybe 60% of the screen.

I seem to recall there was a way to do it so the instrument panels were properly sized with black bands on both sides?
I followed this guide -- -- to get 1280 x 1024 running fullscreen on my 2560 x 1080 ultrawide LG monitor.

That video also includes reshade setup, but ignore that part. What you want is DXWND and set it up using the parameters he shows in the video (instead of the "Run in Window" checkbox, choose "Fullscreen only").
If you set Mode ID 3 in the DW .ini file, you should have full screen in 1280 x 1024 with black bars.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-22, 12:32 PM   #112
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 343

thanks, will check it out.
Old 03-21-22, 07:29 PM   #113
A-Ganger
Sparky

Well we're back to this game not working on Windows 11.
It loads, change graphics, goes back to main menu and nothing shows except the mini world map.

Or, load game, quick mission, only thing shown mini map again.

I just went back thru settings according to video above and this is what happeneng!

On a whim, I went back into my Nvidia settings and noticed Annistropic filtering was 2x.... set it back to app controlled.
Same with Antiallising, set back to app controlled.

Game working again.. so if anyone has same issues check your settings//

Last edited by A-Ganger; 03-21-22 at 07:50 PM.
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-22, 10:59 PM   #114
Barleyman
Gunner

Downloads: 3

I did some alternate (working for me) settings for dxwnd + DW in another thread. YMMV.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...8&postcount=11
Barleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-22, 03:22 PM   #115
Dijon
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7
Default Still Not Working

I have followed the directions in the forums and Dangerous Waters still crashes (Failed to initialize the graphics display). I'm obviously missing a step somewhere. I've been away from this game for a long, long while but recently had a taste to try it again. I'm using the Steam version and the OS is Windows 10. Is there anything else that I could try?
Dijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-22, 09:06 AM   #116
subneesh
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 5
Default perfect simulation

of my windows nt days when nothing worked.
subneesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 02:14 AM   #117
lattebbook
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 59

Quote:
I have followed the directions in the forums and Dangerous Waters still crashes (Failed to initialize the graphics display). I'm obviously missing a step somewhere. I've been away from this game for a long, long while but recently had a taste to try it again. I'm using the Steam version and the OS is Windows 10. Is there anything else that I could try?
Right click on the .exe in your root folder and go to property --> compatibility --> reduced color mode.

Please make sure you install d3d8.dll too.
lattebbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 09:32 AM   #118
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Dijon! subneesh! & lattebbok!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-23, 05:13 PM   #119
igaralva
Nub

Downloads: 25
Default NO DATA ON DATA DISPLAY WINDOW, anyone with the same issue? Help, please!

Steam version, patch 104 installed. Nothing appears on data display when selecting a contact. (CTRL+B). The empty box in the upper left corner can be seen in the attached image.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nodata.jpg (64.4 KB, 12 views)
igaralva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-23, 08:18 PM   #120
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I am also experiencing issues with Windows 11. Nothing seems to work. I have tried the D3D8.dll fix, which does not work. I have tried DXWIND, which also does not work. The game just goes to the black screen then crashes out. None of the fixes or workarounds are doing me any good. All of my Windows 10 machines run the game with the D3D8.dll fix just fine. I do not know if it is something in Windows 11 causing the problem, such as an asinine security feature, or a hardware incompatibility with newer NVIDIA cards that needs the D3D8.dll patched to fix it.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote