SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-30-13, 02:35 PM   #1
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default [REL] SH3 underwater dust&suspended particles

Mod Released!
From the "readme":

Quote:
SP 28/07/2013
Rubini´s underwater dust&plancton effect v1
-------------------------------------------

- What this mod does?
This mod adds underwater dust&plancton effect in front of the object, free and event camera. This effect is present in sh4 and sh5 using shaders, what isn´t disposable on sh3.I added this effect using particles attached to the above cameras. Isn´t perfect but seems very reasonable and imersive anyway.

- Things that i must know?
1.Take in mind that the number of particles can be virtually "infinite" as their shapes colors and properties. Its very bore to test and test all the possibilities, so i finished with some that was good for my taste and environment. This is very important because sh3 have a lot of different environments (read here underwater colors, fog and light) and millions of self adjusts. So the present effects could end not so good for you. You always can open the files, changes the dust&planctons textures, their sizes, colours, opacity, etc, etc to fit better your taste&environment. If you do so, please share your "version" with the comunnity.

2. I also added to this version some blur effects and the destabilized object camera. Some ppl could not like this. I will try to release an solo version later.

3. The effect on this first version are very tiny and discrete. The effect on object view is yet more discrete than the free cam view. Let me know your preference.

4. I also prefer and have tried a more fine particles but they just vanish in the underwater restrict colors/environment of sh3. It´s really not easy to make the same effect good for day and night colors. So this first version is a compromisse and a WIP! Please let me know yours comments.

- How to easily adjust the "amount" of visible particles on object cam?
Open the mod´s cameras.val file with s3d and locate on the "line" 48: "FastParticleGenerator", GlobalScale, OpacityScale. Just change this number from 1,2 to 1,4 and you will see a considerable more "amount" of particles - in truth they were already there just barelly visible. Try with different numbers. Also individual particles can have their opacity adjusted individually.

- How to Install?
It´s jsgme ready and just one tiny file.
Ahoy!
Rubini.

Link
Mediafire

Version without Blur effect:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8znftjef137nahv

================================================== ==========================================
Old first post:
Hi guys,

Few days ago I finally achieved to make a very desired mod for my self: add some life and realistic feeling to the empty underwater world of Sh3! SH4 and Sh5 already have very good effects below water. Now we have some of them also for Sh3!
Take a look at this video and let me know your comments. Take in mind that the effect is better in game than in the vídeo because the suspended particles are sometimes very discrete.

(it´s necessary to watch the vídeo in hi resolution and in full size)

Ahoy!

Rubini.

Last edited by Rubini; 09-18-13 at 11:33 PM.
Rubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 03:50 PM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

That looks quite promising Rubini...nice one

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 04:27 PM   #3
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Thanks Jimbuna!

It´s already done. Works in any external view (obviously only underwater): object view and free view (event cam yet not tested). The magic is that the "dust" is absolutelly alive, we can use infinite numbers of different particles, with different shapes, colors, transparency, sizes, etc. They have rotation and flows with the sea. They are present at any deep and at any place on the ocean. Much like Sh4 and Sh5. The interesting is that with this approach will be probably also possible to have real 3d clouds and volumetric fog because I can now put anything attached to the cameras, a possibility never openned before for SH3. I´m looking at this clouds/fog issue now. Let´s see!

This underwater dust mod is in truth very very small as it only adds two or three controllers to the external cameras. Will release it soon.

Last edited by Rubini; 06-30-13 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 10:01 PM   #4
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Hi mate,

Nice work on the particles and yes many new possibility still have to be implemented , thank to latest cpu&video cards performance!

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 10:57 PM   #5
clausewitz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

This is cool. Where did you get the underwater 3d vegetation mod seen in your video?
Old 06-30-13, 11:00 PM   #6
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

Rubini , very good result.
Congratulations on a job well done!

Looking forward to putting this mod into my mod soup!
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-13, 11:04 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Looks fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
HiTake in mind that the effect is better in game than in the vídeo because the suspended particles are sometimes very discrete.
I like that. They are there but not too obvious or too much. I can't wait until I can play again.
Old 06-30-13, 11:20 PM   #8
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausewitz View Post
This is cool. Where did you get the underwater 3d vegetation mod seen in your video?
Hi mate,

All hand made one by one, even the rock and urchin! And plants are all animated but we will provide one version with static plants for lower specs system.

Best regards Hans

Old 06-30-13, 11:22 PM   #9
clausewitz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi mate,

All hand made one by one, even the rock and urchin! And plants are all animated but we will provide one version with static plants for lower specs system.

Best regards Hans
Are you attempting to answer my question? Who's we? And where?
Old 07-01-13, 03:25 AM   #10
Anvart
Admiral

Downloads: 122
Uploads: 1
Good work... Rubini.
... but nothing new, I think... this is a standard application of the particles such as e.g. air bubbles under water but connected to the camera, obviously... and, maybe, with animated sprites... but, it's, I see, without the volume effect... need more very small particles, I think.

Good luck.

Moses said: "Don't create yourself an idol"...

Last edited by Anvart; 07-01-13 at 04:01 AM.
Anvart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-13, 03:47 AM   #11
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Are you attempting to answer my question? Who's we? And where?
Sorry clause i was confuse with HAHD ocean alive 1.0 : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...79694&page=204

My mistake and my apology to Rubini i was not trying to hijack the thread.

Best regards Hans

Old 07-01-13, 07:14 AM   #12
clausewitz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Rubini, what is your 3d ocean floor plant mod called? Where can I find it?
Old 07-01-13, 12:31 PM   #13
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Rubini, what is your 3d ocean floor plant mod called? Where can I find it?
Here mate:
"Undersea Mod Reworked"
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166549

@Hans
Quote:
Sorry clause i was confuse with HAHD ocean alive 1.0 : http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...79694&page=204

My mistake and my apology to Rubini i was not trying to hijack the thread.
Awesome mate! I didn´t remembered about that! Until the release of HAHD we will have this mod here as a tease then!:

@Anvart
Quote:
Good work... Rubini.
... but nothing new, I think... this is a standard application of the particles such as e.g. air bubbles under water but connected to the camera, obviously... and, maybe, with animated sprites... but, it's, I see, without the volume effect... need more very small particles, I think.

Good luck.
Yes, the news here (at least for me) is the success in attached particles to the cameras nodes and make them works correctly. Reading a few minutes ago Hans´s post about HAHD ocean alive it´s almost obvious that they also have find the way to make the particles works on cameras nodes. And also i guess that i was correct about my idea to add more and more particles/object particles to the cameras. They will work!
And i agree, animated particles/more particles will be the best. But i have not the time (neither the necessary skills) to make good volumetric/animated particles. This will be for HAHD team. I will try to release this mod with directions to the players adjust the particles by theirself, this way the effect will fit better wich one installation/mods.

@Steve,
Quote:
I like that. They are there but not too obvious or too much. I can't wait until I can play again.
The same feeling here. I like and agree that the effects must be not too much, not so few. Even that this is not always easy to be done because sh3 have serious engine limitations, poor underwater environment colors&effects (you make them good for day but they are not that good for night and so on) and also because we have a lot of differents modded environments. For sure we will need to have an adjustable colors/bright/opacity/size/amount particles properties by the player for this mod.

Last edited by Rubini; 07-01-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-01-13, 07:02 PM   #14
clausewitz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini View Post
Here mate:
"Undersea Mod Reworked"
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166549

@Hans

Awesome mate! I didn´t remembered about that! Until the release of HAHD we will have this mod here as a tease then!:

@Anvart

Yes, the news here (at least for me) is the success in attached particles to the cameras nodes and make then works correctly. Reading a few minutes ago Hans´s post about HAHD ocean alive it´s almost obvious that they also have find the way to make the particles works on cameras nodes. And also i guess that i was correct about my idea to add more and more particles/object particles to the cameras. They will work!
And i agree, animated particles/more particles will be the best. But i have not the time (neither the necessary skills) to make good volumetric/animated particles. This will be for HAHD team. I will try to release this mod with directions to the players adjust the particles by theirself, this way the effect will fit better wich one installation/mods.

@Steve,

The same feeling here. I like and agree that the effects must be not too much, not so few. Even that this is not always easy to be done because sh3 have serious engine limitations, poor underwater environment colors&effects (you make then good for day but they are not that good for night and so on) and also because we have a lot of differents modded environments. For sure we will need to have an adjustable colors/bright/opacity/size/amount particles properties by the player for this mod.
Pretty cool mod. Both of them.
Old 07-02-13, 10:29 AM   #15
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Pretty cool mod. Both of them.
Rgr that.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote