Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-05-20, 08:04 AM   #1
marvelsferb7
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5. 7 years on?

I was looking at buying a sub sim but I was split between silent hunter 5 and 3. I looked at a couple of reviews and they all said the same things, SH5 had potential but was far too buggy whereas SH3 had a few bugs but lacking the graphics. So my question is; after 7 years has there been enough support for the game both from the devs and the community for it to stand up to SH3 in its stability.נערות ליווי בתל אביב

Last edited by marvelsferb7; 05-05-20 at 03:24 PM.
marvelsferb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 11:00 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

Both games are worth getting.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 12:42 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Both are great and play differently. SH3 has a huge library of mods that you can customize to your liking.

SH5 is more immersive because you walk your boat, and the crew have a bit more personality. It feels more alive. If you go SH5 you need The Wolves of Steel mod!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 02:26 AM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Going with TWoS, you'll have a stable game, arguably even more than SH3 in that from what I gather SH5 saves are less prone to getting corrupted when saving in contact with enemy (that was my main gripe with SH3, engagements in these games last long and it is often impossible to break contact before saving). Most issues reported in TWoS bugs thread are connected to either not following install instructions or installing random mods on top of TWoS, so don't do either of these things and you don't have to worry about stability.

Bugs aside, SH5 gives you less options than SH3 in some areas (same crewmen, only type VII boat) while being more developed in others (crewmen have some personality and you can interact with them more, you can walk around the boat freely, TWoS also includes working Enigma machine and wonderful Real Navigation addon which removes GPS position marker from the map but in turn allows your navigator or yourself calculate position from the stars or land observations, which is a lot of fun and allows you to feel more like a sailor, not knowing your exact position). Graphics are obviously better in SH5, but modded SH3 also looks nice.

Since both games are old, you can easily buy both especially if you catch a Steam sale where they regularly appear for peanuts - this might be best option, just buy both and try them yourself.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 09:49 AM   #5
JDinAUSTX
Swabbie

Downloads: 62

Helpful insights, Kapuhy. I was actually toying with the idea of reinstalling SH3 myself, maybe just out of a bit nostalgia. Might be fun. Anyway, thanks!
JDinAUSTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 11:04 AM   #6
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

The choice between SH3 and SH5 also depends how meticulous you are, I mean if you want to spend much time to watch series of videos showing you how the modded SH5 interface is working and how to play, then alright go with SH5.

The modded SH3 also needs to get used to but most big mods come with a detailed manual, which isn't true for the modded SH5.

With SH5 TWoS you can play with 'Real Navigation' or without but in both cases the game is generally at very high difficulty when it comes to escape destroyers or your sub resistance when taking damage. Planes are also deadly in TWoS, you aren't going to use your canons very often
I would go with SH3 first, e.g. SH3 +WAC, and then if you want it more realistic, then play SH5 TWoS. In TWoS with the absence of a good manual you are supposed to know everything about how to play, that's rather bad for newcomers.

I have transformed TWoS to suit my needs, but this is not possible with U-Play or Steam version where you can only install TWoS and play it as is. You don't have the freedom like in SH3 or SH4 with mods.

XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 05-09-20 at 11:49 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-20, 11:16 AM   #7
Captain Hammered
Seaman

Downloads: 18

I can offer a BIG thumbs-up for SH5 with TWOS; it's very immersive, you have the feel of actually commanding your boat, not just clicking the screen. Your Bosun - if he's well trained - takes good care of the men, your cook can lift their spirits. There are rivalries and animosities amongst the crew. Tragedies as well...this is wartime.
The vessel upgrades are excellent and really give a feel for the developing war. The opposition ranges from lacklustre - as in my game at the moment, off the coast of America - to bloody dangerous: the Brits around their soggy little island.
I loved SH3 and the mods are superb, but for right now I'm strongly suggesting SH5 with TWOS.

Cheers!
Captain Hammered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-20, 09:27 AM   #8
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

daria888 is a spammer. Reported.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote