SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-21, 06:06 PM   #1
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default lets keep our fingers crossed

Just heard of Microsoft's new OS, Windows 11. Did a little digging to see if older games like SHIII will still work. There's not much detailed info on the new OS yet, except some screen shots and some vague release dates. Possibility the end of 2021 but definitely 2022. These NEW releases make me a little concerned. Especially on, one of Microsoft web site's FAQ. "Will older games still play on Win11 ? (answer) Well yes and no". What kind of answer is that ! But anyway here's kind'a what I've got out'a my dig'n so far.

Win11 upgrade will not mandatory, yet. Win10 will be supported through 2025, so we'll have plenty of time to figure things out. I'm sure we'll still be able to use Win10 beyond that date for our SHIII machines, even if the support ends. I still use WIN7 on one of my computers and SHIII runs great.

The Compatibility Mode feature will still be included, so that looks promising too.

But anyway, in my opinion, I think we'll be OK. All my installs work perfectly. Major and radical OS changes worry me a bit ..... just my 2cents and a HEADS UP to the SHIII community. Jerry (Baltimore Md) or Doolar (CA45)
Old 07-06-21, 07:41 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Initial documentation was saying that "Legacy" would be removed, which would mean the "old" firewire and USB that could not "manage" the power on their bus. That also means "old" software might be affected. We'll have to see what their "Compatibility Mode" actually entails... I know I was one of quite a few people that commented on that on the Insider's page. I was going to link you to the MS tool for "Hardware Compatibility", or whatever it is they call it, but it has been pulled from the site (??)... I do not like most of their "verbiage" about what the OS will do. It sounds more like social engineering than it does a computer OS. I am really curious about my audio equipment though, that currently runs OK in Win10 (it is "legacy" hardware and software), but I do have to re-set most of my user settings each time the OS updates. I do not have that problem in Windows 7 with the same gear. In fact, I pull the wire and still use XP to record multi-track hi-res audio when something is "important"...
Minimum system requirements
Processor 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
Memory 4 GB RAM
Storage 64 GB or larger storage device
System firmware UEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPM Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Graphics card DirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display >9” with HD Resolution (720p)
Internet connection Microsoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home
Certain features require specific hardware, see detailed system requirements.
The graphics card requirment is going to "kill" most of my machines, as will the UEFI requirment...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 09:15 AM   #3
Alchemix
Nub

Downloads: 0

I hat to be the guy to say this, but as a general information silent hunter at least in it’s unmodded runs well on Linux. Wich means there could be a dual boot option for you if you have to switch to windows 11 and the game doesn’t run there any longer.
Alchemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-21, 10:37 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Alchemix!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 12:04 PM   #5
rizarefaldi
Bilge Rat

Quote:
I hat to be the guy to say this, but as a general information silent hunter at least in it’s unmodded runs well on Linux. Wich means there could be a dual boot option for you if you have to switch to windows 11 and the game doesn’t run there any longer cara install windows 10

i have tried win 11 and ya it doesn't run but so many apps and games run well there. i think it will updated an fully support on the future updates.
rizarefaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 12:30 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

rizarefaldi!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 01:43 PM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemix View Post
I hat to be the guy to say this, but as a general information silent hunter at least in it’s unmodded runs well on Linux. Wich means there could be a dual boot option for you if you have to switch to windows 11 and the game doesn’t run there any longer.
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizarefaldi View Post
i have tried win 11 and ya it doesn't run but so many apps and games run well there. i think it will updated an fully support on the future updates.
Hopefully matters will change before release and welcome

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-21, 06:36 PM   #8
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Is it just me, or does the term OS seem to fit less & less these days? I mean, in the past the operating system was to provide means of productivity. These days, they are starting to look more & more like user information collection systems.

Alchemix & rizarefaldi
Old 08-23-21, 08:28 PM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_417 View Post
Is it just me, or does the term OS seem to fit less & less these days? I mean, in the past the operating system was to provide means of productivity. These days, they are starting to look more & more like user information collection systems.

Alchemix & rizarefaldi
Ahoy, Mork_417...

Is not just you, seems just about everything nowadays... is hill bent for leather, to literally cyberstalk you to grab any & all data they can on you, to make $ off of that data.

What I'd like to know is... just where the heck, is My cut out of that... on My data... & not just Myself alone, but every body else that has that done.

I think it's only fair, yanno...

M. M.

Old 12-31-21, 09:51 AM   #10
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Default Re

Not meaning to unnecessarily bump this old thread of mine, but I think it's pretty importation for our future with SHIII to keep informed. Now that Windows 11 is starting to make its rounds. Has anyone here had any luck with SHIII on this new OS. Earlier post here, weren't to be promising. I myself am praying for a "Compatibility Mode" with Windows 11 like the one in Windows 10.
Old 02-02-22, 09:57 PM   #11
Sangamon Taylor
Mate

Downloads: 128

I keep getting pestered to upgrade to Windows 11, but I'm not doing it until I know I won't lose SH3.
Sangamon Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 10:55 AM   #12
David I
Ensign

Hear! Hear!

David I
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-22, 03:40 PM   #13
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Until Microsoft gets its head outta its aft end. Ain't upgrading to Win 11.

It's My computer... NOT theirs... unless they wanna pay Me out the nose for it, then by all means... then they can decide just what goes on with it then. Until that happens... uhh uhh... Nope.

Period.

M. M.
Old 02-08-22, 08:54 AM   #14
mwigg3
Watch

I`m playing with 11.. no problem
mwigg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-22, 03:41 PM   #15
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61

WIndows 11 won't be mandatory ever. Just say "no thanks" every time the question pops up. I still have Windows 7 on my old gaming computer and they stopped nagging about Windows 10 after a while.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote