Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-05-21, 08:33 PM   #16
Revus
Mate

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 0

Sehr fantastisch herr Kaleun.
I pretty much use the same personal rules as well. Glad to see Im not alone in creating KTB's on patrol.
Also, where did you get that KTB template? I try and make them as well on Word, but it doesnt work all that well.
Revus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 01:46 AM   #17
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Downloads: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revus View Post
Also, where did you get that KTB template? I try and make them as well on Word, but it doesnt work all that well.
I made it myself in Excel. The header is a photo, copied from a KTB found on Uboatarchive.net. Both vertical lines are also (very thin) photos copied from there. Using photo's to create these lines gives a more authentic look IMO compared to using lines created in Excel. Also because these photo's are very thin whenever you write text over them it looks like actual text typed over an existing line. I then copy-pasted each page and saved it as a JPEG so I could share the KTB here.

Last edited by Markus Witt; 07-06-21 at 04:20 AM.
Markus Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 07:23 AM   #18
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Glad to hear U-201 returned home safely Now I need some time after work&chores today to read the whole story...

EDIT: Very interesting read, just as the first patrol. Very creative approach to dealing with bugs like sticky destroyer or unguarded Gibraltar convoy, never breaking immersion to the reader.

As for your suggestions of communications being compromised... well, let's just say your patrol logs (stolen by French Resistance) are being read with great interest in Admiralty Research Laboratory in London and it is hoped that they will be useful in developing better ASW tactics for Allied ships and planes

Last edited by kapuhy; 07-08-21 at 01:43 AM.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 06:07 AM   #19
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
EDIT: Very interesting read, just as the first patrol. Very creative approach to dealing with bugs like sticky destroyer or unguarded Gibraltar convoy, never breaking immersion to the reader.
Actually I don't think it was the sticky destroyer bug since at the end I evaded them. Not sure, but I think with the sticky destroyer bug it is impossible to escape? During the first patrol I had this bug and I could not get rid of the DD no matter what I tried and I had to load an old save.
Old 07-08-21, 06:58 AM   #20
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Witt View Post
Actually I don't think it was the sticky destroyer bug since at the end I evaded them. Not sure, but I think with the sticky destroyer bug it is impossible to escape? During the first patrol I had this bug and I could not get rid of the DD no matter what I tried and I had to load an old save.
Did you save and exit game at any time during destroyer chase? This is supposed to make it unstick itself.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 09:58 AM   #21
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Did you save and exit game at any time during destroyer chase? This is supposed to make it unstick itself.
I did not know that, I thought this bug was always fatal. But no, the entire destroyer chase was one long playing session without saving. I think the final destroyer was just on a northerly course at 16 knots or so just off my port quarter. At AK I was able to just outrun it, but each time I turned to port it closed in and came back into view. Just a terribly unlucky coincidence. The final time I turned to port it came back into view in the direction 250. I then kept my course and the smoke column of the detroyer then slowly moved towards my stern at long range and then disapeared from view.

In the end I got rid of them all and before saving I dived to listen and there was no HE. By that time I had not seen a destroyer for the last 8 hours. If it was the sticky destroyer bug I don't think I would have been able to escape?

All in all a very weird situation. I let out a few curses when yet another destroyer came into view as you might imagine. Pretty frustrating at the time, but a pretty funny and interesting episode looking back.

Last edited by Markus Witt; 11-04-21 at 06:47 PM.