SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-29-24, 01:02 PM   #1
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default Game Recommendations

For those of you who like golf, I highly recommend, "The Fairway Club" on Steam. It has an excellent, innovative control system and it's relaxing and pleasant to play, even for me.

Which is odd, because in real life I don't like golf, despite being preternaturally good at it. This drives my friends who love golf crazy, causing them to say things like, "If I could play as well as you, I'd be on the links every day!" Doesn't matter. I just don't like it. I don't even own any golf gear.

Anyway, "The Fairway Club" is superb. The developer is engaged with the community and responsive. Last patch was the day before yesterday. I guess I do like golf, on the computer.

And best of all, the price. It's $1.99. You won't find more fun for under two bucks. You should check it out.

So, what have you got for recommendations?

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-24, 03:53 PM   #2
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Another good golf game is PGA Tour 2K23, which is the one I play. I host a weekly tournament in the Society I created. Looks like you've found your game, but if you ever want to branch out or play competitively in a relaxed group for fun, hit me up. New event starts tomorrow!

Game recommendations?

I could suggest dozens. But I will suggest my current favorite, which is Paradox's Europa Universalis IV, which initially released in 2013, but has undergone a massive transformation down the years. This is a grand strategy game spanning the years 1444-1821. It really is superb. Insanely variable, very challenging and tons of fun.

I can recommend this as a good game to play, but I cannot in good conscience recommend it as a good game to buy. You have to buy it on sale. Otherwise the whole thing is too expensive. They have now introduced a DLC subscription and maybe that is a good route in for some.

I've been playing for ten years now and have dropped 4000 hours, making it far and away my most-played Steam game ever. No game I have played has the sort of replyability that this one does. At times it's been a love-hate sort of thing as it evolves away from me and back again. But on balance, it is easily my top strat game of all time.
Old 01-29-24, 05:04 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Golf you say? Golf+, the official license game of the PGA tour, in VR, with a DeadeyeVR DriVR 3 Pro or DriVR Elite golf club adapter. Real golfers say club, swinging and physics this way feel 90-95% like the real thing.
Old 01-29-24, 07:39 PM   #4
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65

I'll definitely check out these recommendations.

Meanwhile, I just finished the first game of the first season in Franchise Mode as head coach of the Buffalo Grizzlies in, "Axis Football 2024" (American gridiron).

It was an away game. I called every play on both offense and defense, regulation quarter lengths, etc. We defeated the Nebraska Thunder 122 to 0.

I think I might need to increase the difficulty level to Pro. I kind of felt bad for administering that mauling. But just for a second or two.

If you like gridiron football, "Axis Football 2024" is inexpensive and good. And it's not Madden. I recommend it. You can play or coach.

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-24, 03:22 PM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

It has been years since I swung a club-Reading about gave me a new taste for it. Thinking on buying this PGA 2k23 game via STEAM.

Game Recommendation
Well the good old ETS 2 is one of my favorite
as well the American version ATS.

Last recommendation would be
Farming Simulator 22 with expansion.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-24, 08:25 AM   #6
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

If you do pick it up and would like some multiplayer action, hit us up.

Our Society is called Duck Hook Divot Diggers Club, can search for it in the game.

We play one four-round tournament per week, and I switch the course and conditions each time. Societies allow us to compete against one another, but at your own pace. We don't have to meet up, you just play the event and the other scores show on the leaderboard. You can add the ghosts of anyone who has already played that round if you like to have some company and see how I stuck it in the lake on 15.

You have all week to finish and can stop and resume as needed. It's a lot of fun, and very friendly and casual. Recently there have just been a couple of us playing as most guys have been too busy. We'd love to have you guys join us.

Settings are pretty casual too. And 2K23 added a three-click swing in addition to the swing stick method. So it's accessible for all.

Last edited by Threadfin; 01-31-24 at 08:43 AM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-24, 04:30 PM   #7
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
If you do pick it up and would like some multiplayer action, hit us up.

Our Society is called Duck Hook Divot Diggers Club, can search for it in the game.

We play one four-round tournament per week, and I switch the course and conditions each time. Societies allow us to compete against one another, but at your own pace. We don't have to meet up, you just play the event and the other scores show on the leaderboard. You can add the ghosts of anyone who has already played that round if you like to have some company and see how I stuck it in the lake on 15.

You have all week to finish and can stop and resume as needed. It's a lot of fun, and very friendly and casual. Recently there have just been a couple of us playing as most guys have been too busy. We'd love to have you guys join us.

Settings are pretty casual too. And 2K23 added a three-click swing in addition to the swing stick method. So it's accessible for all.
I've put it on my wish list-Are going to wait some month to see if there's any price reduction on the game. Usually there use to be now and then.

Markus

Old 02-01-24, 12:23 PM   #8
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

It's on sale often, PGA Tour 2K23. If you ever pick it up, give Duck Hook Divot Diggers a look!
Old 02-01-24, 02:11 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
It's on sale often, PGA Tour 2K23. If you ever pick it up, give Duck Hook Divot Diggers a look!
I certainly will It's fun to play against others.

Got a crazy idea-If we could get more Subsimmers to download this game we could have a Subsim tournament.

Markus

Old 02-01-24, 02:19 PM   #10
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

I'll be the first to sign up. It's easy, and fun. I'll be happy to host it if needed.

We could play St Andrews in a gale.
Old 02-03-24, 08:43 AM   #11
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Actually, we wouldn't need to have any special event, although we could, but I have a tournament every week and you are all free to join. Just drop me a line or post here and you're in. Current event ends Tuesday.
Old 02-03-24, 02:29 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
We could play St Andrews in a gale.
I dont need a damn gale to terribly push my drive to the right side anyway, I do it all the time even without a gale and even when sleepwalking... Pilots call it a barrel roll. I call it the corkscrew manouver. It sucks. LOL
Old 02-03-24, 03:41 PM   #13
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Yeah Skybird, that's it. That sort of ball flight would bore right through the wind

Corkscrew drive in to a stiff wind sounds perfect.
Old 02-04-24, 05:58 AM   #14
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

For anyone liking city builders, I would recommed Songs of Syx. It is one of those games many have probably seen, but never played. Graphically it is not much to look at, but what it lacks in that department it more than makes up for in depth and complexity. You start with 10 people, building a barely sustainable village and end up with a city that can house tens of thousands of people. The game also has combat, something like lite-Total War, and the ability to conquer neighboring cities.

You can try a free demo, which is the full game but one version behind the current stable version.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1.../Songs_of_Syx/
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-24, 06:27 AM   #15
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
It's on sale now-75% off

Markus