SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-11-22, 10:25 AM   #1
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default Selection of a Sound

Gentlemen,

DW uses a diving alarm every time a Kaleun changes depth and dives deeper but not shallower. this gets annoying.

How is a Sound connected with a Command? in this case, a player can select a deeper depth using the Depth Gauge or by pressing the "D" key. so, how are those to actions tied to a Sound activation?

my homework
the connection is NOT via the Commands.cfg file because that was the first place i checked. the "D" command has no additional entries for sound AND there is no command for using the Depth Gauge to change depth.

if it is in Sh.sdl then it is hidden because i tried to add a "sound name" with the thought that there would be a list of commands to which the sound was connected but that option did not present itself. One merely types in a Name and then attaches a sound to it.

looking at the Sh.sdl file contents, it seems as if Names must follow a specific format in order to be connected with something outside of Sh.sdl but how is that accomplished, if true?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts or knowledge on this would be appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-22, 02:35 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am not certain about it KM, but memory tells me that the human-editable portion is in the NSS_SubName.cfg file, specifically the periscope depth setting - which is given in meters, btw. Anything else is in the game's files (exe and StateMachineCtl.act??). I might be wrong about that though, and potentially at a high-percentage chance...

If you are experiencing the dive alarm though, at depths lower (greater) than periscope depth, then there is possibly something else going on in the modded game. Take the stock game and take a IXD2 out for a drive, and see what it does in the Stock game, as compared to the boat you have in Dark Waters. Also, remember what we have found in FotRSU, in that ANYTHING set incorrectly in a player's sub can and will adversely affect other aspects of the boat's operations. This includes the clothes that the crew wears...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-22, 04:13 PM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I am not certain about it KM, but memory tells me that the human-editable portion is in the NSS_SubName.cfg file, specifically the periscope depth setting - which is given in meters, btw. Anything else is in the game's files (exe and StateMachineCtl.act??). I might be wrong about that though, and potentially at a high-percentage chance...

If you are experiencing the dive alarm though, at depths lower (greater) than periscope depth, then there is possibly something else going on in the modded game. Take the stock game and take a IXD2 out for a drive, and see what it does in the Stock game, as compared to the boat you have in Dark Waters. Also, remember what we have found in FotRSU, in that ANYTHING set incorrectly in a player's sub can and will adversely affect other aspects of the boat's operations. This includes the clothes that the crew wears...
maybe i did not explain myself properly.

in DW and no other modset that i am aware of, the boat can be submerged at any depth and if i order increased depth, the dive alarm sounds.

i'll look at the PD settings in Subname.cfg but if we are at PD, no matter what that is, the dive alarm should not be activated until we surface and resubmerge.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-22, 06:41 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Anytime you are above PD and call for a change in depth down, you will get the sound. If you are below PD and change depth to lower, you should NOT get the sound. but if you are at say 13.8m in a IXD2, due to rough seas, and call for 100m, you will get the dive alarm, even though you are already submerged, since PD is set at 14m. If you called for PD, and are already there, you should not hear the alarm, nor if you call for deeper from there. Say you call for a regular dive to PD from the surface, you will get the dive alarm, and then you decide you need to Crash Dive since the plane is closing fast, you will again hear the dive alarm, in addition to any other sounds associated with a Crash Dive sound, even if you are already at 10m depth. If you are hearing the alarm while at PD or deeper and then calling for deeper water, something is most likely wrong with the boat's configuration somewhere.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote