SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-02-09, 04:43 PM   #121
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511
Uploads: 0

I'm playing GWX righr now.

And I was invited this afternoon to go to the local watering hole and passed.

I prefer this addiction.

OK I'm weak. I used good manners and refused twice.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 04:44 PM   #122
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly View Post
Well what can I say thats not already been said
Chance to log on here or anywhere has been limited for the last few months due to RL\family reasons and getting a chance today I log on to see this

I do feel a lil guilty having been away from the team for far too long and not being able to contribute to GWX4 for months

Salute to the GWX team for making a difficult decision which with all the work I had seen before departure couldnt have been easy and I feel for those who have toiled non stop
Lets hope something can be done with all the new work either in GWX3 or released for use in SH4

Has been an honour working with the team past and present

BBW, its been very good to hear from you here... Your sense of humor has been greatly missed at the lair. Please know that regardless of the fact that our project is over... the door is always open for you there.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 04:46 PM   #123
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfmann View Post
You have developed like lions and never being defeated you produced the finest combat experience in any venue of consumer combat simulation to date.

I doubt, no matter what advances are ahead in simulation/games those of us that consumed almost daily the adventures of being a U-Boat kaleun will ever forget the name Greywolves when we a long time from now, draw on our fondest memories.

Wulfmann
I have to say that in light of all the times we crossed sabers in debate... kinder words have never been spoken. Thank you Wulfmann. Salute sir!

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 09-02-09, 05:43 PM   #124
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Even the staunchest GWX critic would be hard-pressed to deny the overwhelming impact that GWX has had on SH3. It would be more than fair to say that GWX set the benchmark for SH3 modding. It would be even fair to say that GWX set the benchmark for the modding of other games, as it is not that uncommon to read references to GWX ("I wish we had a GWX-type mod for <insert game here>") in other forums.

Certainly I have been a long time user of GWX and the earlier TGW (when it was just Lehmann and Marhkimov) and can say without doubt that SH3 would not be on my HDD today were it not for GWX.

Being on the GWX team introduced me to some great guys like BBW, Rubini and Ref. There was a time when I enjoyed opening my inbox to see it full with email from these guys.

Lehmann, you can "retire" with dignity and the knowledge that you have made many thousands of SH3 players happy. We did not always see eye-to-eye (heck, you frustrated the excrement out of me), but no-one can argue with the results.

And I'm sure not many people here are fully aware of the personal sacrifices that you made during your reign as GWX project manager, just to make them happy.

To you and the team--both past and present--thanks.
Jaesen,

I think I may have you to thank for some of my first grey hairs so the feeling was at times mutual!

You know... it is always so much easier to remember difficulties... and harsh times... I've spent so much time stuck in those places for the days leading up to and following the closure of GWX4... just making myself sick.

Your post re-opened a grand series of memories for me...

Most have no idea that when it was just me and Marhkimov... I got cold feet just prior to the release of TGW 1.0... and was afraid to release it. (I know its a stretch, but I frustrated Marhkimov too you see.) Marhkimov gave me a rather swift kick in the pants and I subsequently released TGW. Following release, a bit ironically... Marhkimov got cold feet and left me standing there... but that's alright. His work was quite good and much of it remains in the final release of GWX.

I remember two angry Aussies chasing each other all over the GW forums poking each other in the eye for what might have been hours (or was it days?) ...determined to make me go bald... and I won't be more detailed... because for all the frustration involved at the time... I hope the two passionate artists in question can view it with the humor that I hold for the occasion now. That passion served the team and project well.

What I will remember best... and what I choose to take with me wherever I am... is the sense of teamwork and 'crew' shared by shipmates... that saw the pace of development firing on all cylinders for weeks on end! VOLUMES of messages, screenshots, and posts by all involved... as the build charged ahead at a dead run. It seemed as if no-one slept... and I certainly didn't. The location of GWX dev teamers and testing crewmen caused me to FEEL the world turning... one time zone would change from day to night... the next would awake... and the stream of messaging and data transference seemed to be endless... all at flank speed to hit the mark... to reach the finish line! It was surreal at times... an un-stoppable AVALANCHE of steady progress!!! Some days, all I could really do... was have a death-grip on the railing with one hand... and have my other hand keepin' me hat from flying off!

Thanks for the kind words Jaesen... and thinks for the time you spent working so hard with the team.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 09-02-09, 08:28 PM   #125
WolfgangLuth
Swabbie

Downloads: 131

Danke, Lehmann and the GWX crew for all your hard work and time (time, and yet more time) spent on it all!!!! You fixed SHIII as the best subsim in its day by a monumental margin as to be a proper paid add-on. I especially enjoyed your GWX Gold manual. A great read!

I have one question, please. Is it true that you have NO connection with Ubisoft with the development of SHV?? You see when I heard SHV was in dev, I had naturally expected that Ubi would've surely brought you into the fold of their ranks and that all the work done on GWX4 up to now had migrated naturally into the official development cycle..?

I hope that you got some sort of recognition or indeed anything from Ubisoft? Everybody knows that you helped boost Ubisoft's sales of SHIV as well as SHIII. I'm pretty sure that due to GWX's fame that a great many of us here bought SHIV with the expectation that GWX4 was surely going to be done at some point in the future. Again, more money for Ubisoft.

So if Ubi hasn't bothered to give you any recognition at all, then I'm not surprised the GWX engines have shut down with no fuel left in the tanks!

Good hunting and all the best in the future!
WolfgangLuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-09, 10:57 PM   #126
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangLuth View Post
Danke, Lehmann and the GWX crew for all your hard work and time (time, and yet more time) spent on it all!!!! You fixed SHIII as the best subsim in its day by a monumental margin as to be a proper paid add-on. I especially enjoyed your GWX Gold manual. A great read!

I have one question, please. Is it true that you have NO connection with Ubisoft with the development of SHV?? You see when I heard SHV was in dev, I had naturally expected that Ubi would've surely brought you into the fold of their ranks and that all the work done on GWX4 up to now had migrated naturally into the official development cycle..?

I hope that you got some sort of recognition or indeed anything from Ubisoft? Everybody knows that you helped boost Ubisoft's sales of SHIV as well as SHIII. I'm pretty sure that due to GWX's fame that a great many of us here bought SHIV with the expectation that GWX4 was surely going to be done at some point in the future. Again, more money for Ubisoft.

So if Ubi hasn't bothered to give you any recognition at all, then I'm not surprised the GWX engines have shut down with no fuel left in the tanks!

Good hunting and all the best in the future!
We have GWX dev team member Pablo to thank for our awesome manual. It is a historical document all on its own!

It is true that we have not had any official recognition by, or official connection to Ubisoft... apart from having been addicted to their Silent Hunter productions. Unofficially, I do however consider their lead game designer Dan Dimitrescu to be a long distance friend after having met him in Houston at the Subsim meet last year. (As does Jimbuna and a number of others on our team.)

It would be cool to see a nod to the Grey Wolves mod team in the credits to SHV... but I don't see how that could really ever happen. It may be that collectively Ubisoft and/or the Silent Hunter devs view us as having been obstacles to their efforts. In that light, why would they ever consider adding a mention in the credits?

At any rate, concerning my actual profession, I am doing almost exactly what I want to do... and a few short years from now... hopefully I'll be doing it in the air... which is exactly what I am aiming for. (My actual job will hopefully change slightly that is.)

< Free advice to anyone listening: Never let your 'hobby' turn into 'work'... you'll end-up hating your hobby if you aren't careful. >

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 09-03-09, 01:42 PM   #127
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210

Heard the news a few days ago. Not been able to find the right words to express my gratitude for the work and attention to detail you all have put into the game.

You may say that the Grey Wolves project is finished. The work is over. But really you have inspired others. This has no time limit or sell by date.
I would not know where to start making a mod. Real life at the moment would only get in the way for me anyway. But you have taught me to question things. What if?........would it be possible? etc. And the modders have proven that nearly everything in the game is possible. We have new environments, sounds, ships, interiors, gameplay and more. Before I stumbled upon this forum, I bought the game (SH3) and accepted it for what it was. I didn't even know that a computer game could be modded.

I have read the heated arguements, the comments, not always positive and not always deserved. Sometimes it was hard to be a spectator. Like listening to the neighbours in the house next door fighting! I often thought 'Sh*t! It's just a game!' Forgive me, I was wrong. It was always more than that. The work, the hours, the research, the trial and error, the passion for the subject.........I was naive in thinking that it was just a 'game'. If I put so much energy into a project, I'd also shout and scream and let off steam to get my point across.

You have also taught me through the game more about the u-boat and the war, than I ever knew before.

You have given me a place to take time out from real life. You have given me a game of chess where I can blow up things.

Thanks for everything and good luck to you all. Signing off
limkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 02:55 PM   #128
ollybgm
Watch

Downloads: 93

thank you for your time been great having GWX3 put on the map
ollybgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 04:36 PM   #129
Annatar
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 0

Thanks for all your hard work. GWX3.0 made a good game perfect. You can't get better than that.
There's a silver lining to this cloud for me at least - I can finally uninstall SHIV

Annatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 04:39 PM   #130
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Great work and thanks

Bad news but i understand this with the release of sh5 in the next months, now the "ball " is in the other side again ( PTO)

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 04:44 PM   #131
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

You've spent a long time on a long road, but you have brought fun to many people and made yourself quite the name in the process.

The Grey Wolves will always stand for quality and the pushing of the boundaries.

Now go and have a beer, you deserve it, all of you.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 05:33 PM   #132
HundertzehnGustav
Sea Lord

Downloads: 66

Its been a long time since i came here.
I just reloaded GWX 3 a few days ago, and found this post now.
It is a sad moment for me personally, because i can understand what it feels like when such a group ends their main project.

Thank you!
are the words i would like to give each one of the GWX crew members!
You made me like Uboats, wich i alwys viewed as invisible treacherous bastards.
You taught me the difference between a cruiser and a destroyer, and inspired me to read "German DDs of the 2nd World war".
To paint these ships, and to have a try at 3d modeling.

With GWX you created entrertainment, fun, but also inspired people like me to widen our horizon, learn, read, educate ourselves about this difficult subject of War and Weapons, Men and Lives.

GWX, to me, is just an awesome tip of an iceberg... it goes deeper than yall imagine.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

And please - what ever comes, just chill out and do not go away.
And my BEST wishes to you and your families!
Old 09-04-09, 03:52 PM   #133
BellJack95
Bosun

Downloads: 149

I too wish to add my thanks and appreciation for the hard work and countless hours that the GWX team endured to provide SH3 excitement and the expectation of SH4 excitement.

I am currently playing SH3 with GWX 3.0 Gold as part of the Wolves At War game.
(if interested the link to the site to sign up is)
http://wolvesatwar.org

GWX, along with the neat tool of SH3 Commander, certainly has made my gaming experience so much richer. I appreciate that your decision to demoblilze the GWX 4.0 project team was not taken lightly and I respect and support your decision. In closing, my hat's off to the GWX team and I salute you!
BellJack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 04:09 PM   #134
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

You've spent a long time on a long road, but you have brought fun to many people and made yourself quite the name in the process.

The Grey Wolves will always stand for quality and the pushing of the boundaries.

Now go and have a beer, you deserve it, all of you.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-09, 07:53 PM   #135
Txema
中国水兵

Downloads: 365

I can only say THANK YOU to all the GWX team.

I really appreciate your work. I have enjoyed and I currently enjoy your work inmensely.

Txema
Txema is offline   Reply With Quote