SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-19, 09:20 AM   #46
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Win10 LAA/SH4 Install

Thanks for those details. I recently installed LAA using your instructions. Also, I am running W10 ver 1809 (the latest).

BTW, I noticed in Task Manager, SH4 says "32 bit" after it in the Background Processes even though my laptop is running W10 64 bit vers . Does this make SH4 run differently? Is there anything I can/should do to get SH4 to run properly on a 64 bit system?

Thanks for your help!
LarryT
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 10:46 AM   #47
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
Thanks for those details. I recently installed LAA using your instructions. Also, I am running W10 ver 1809 (the latest).

BTW, I noticed in Task Manager, SH4 says "32 bit" after it in the Background Processes even though my laptop is running W10 64 bit vers . Does this make SH4 run differently? Is there anything I can/should do to get SH4 to run properly on a 64 bit system?

Thanks for your help!
LarryT
My newer computer plays the game just fine, actually much better than my "modding" computer which is an XP Operating System; 32bit; Pentimum4; 2gig maximum RAM memory computer (I can't even use LAA with it due to the limited memory it has!?).

My newer Windows 10; 64bit; 16gig RAM; LAA enabled SH4 game hums' along with no issues at all!

The fact the game was designed for 32bit systems makes no difference.....a 64bit system will run the game just fine. However, as I point out in this thread, using the correct LAA enabler is important (either the one used for the older 3.5 version of NetFramework; or the newer 4.0/4.5 version).

As well as making sure your computer has the older DirectX files that the game expects to find (use the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" to check and add as needed).

Lastly, allow the OS to check for trouble with the games start-up "sh4.exe" file by using the file's "Compatibility" tab, then using the "Run Compatibility Troubleshooter" to diagnose the file as defined HERE. Windows does a remarkable job in doing this automatically.....allow it to correct as needed.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-19, 01:23 PM   #48
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
However, as I point out in this thread, using the correct LAA enabler is important (either the one used for the older 3.5 version of NetFramework; or the newer 4.0/4.5 version).
do we have links to both versions of LAA? i went looking for this earlier this year while attempting to help a newbie and i could not find the later edition. that doesn't mean it's not here...it may just mean that i couldn't find it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 07:53 AM   #49
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco
do we have links to both versions of LAA? i went looking for this earlier this year while attempting to help a newbie and i could not find the later edition. that doesn't mean it's not here...it may just mean that i couldn't find it.
Yes of course you have a link to the Large Address Aware thread (found here). It's the first link in this thread found on page one. Further down the page I even have an image of the two different downloads that the thread provides, which indicate the differences between the two. I spell it out for you.

I provide the link to the entire "techpowerup.com/forums" site so a person can read the instructions and understand for themselves what to do and why.....What's not to understand?

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 09:32 AM   #50
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

First of all Capn, thanks a bunch for this TEC post!!!!!!

I'm in the process of uninstalling / reinstalling SH4 to get it to my Games folder.

One thing of note- for people doing what I'm doing or who are reinstalling SH4 to see if it fixes a problem. I'd recommend adding the step of running a registry cleaner after the uninstall.

Hmmm, I think a light bulb went on with another game. Have not been able to run BoB II wings of Victory (The updated A2A version) reliably since installing Win7. Under Win10 it crashes all the time. Just hit me that I've never seen anyone mention using LAA or the 4gb patch software on it. Will have to give it a try.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10

Last edited by swdw; 03-06-19 at 10:24 AM.
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 11:04 AM   #51
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

One more thing I ran into. Depending on the card and driver you're using, the Win10 scaling options may be causing a crash. So here's one thing you can try.

If you are here, you should already know how to get to the sh4.exe and open the properties window. Go to page one if you don't.

With the properties window open (See attached file):
1. Click on the "Change High DPI settings button. This will open another window.
2. Check the box "Use this setting to fix scaling problems . . ."
3. Click on the "Open advanced scaling settings" link. This will open the associated window.
4. Click the "Turn off the the "let windows try to fix apps so they're not blurry" switch. I was told that because you are accessing this through the properties window, it will only affect the executable currently selected
5. Close the advanced scaling settings window
6. Check the "High DPI scaling override" checkbox. Make sure Application is selected in the drop down window.

Now turning off the Advanced scaling and selecting the high DPI override may be redundant, but I didn't find something telling me this was specifically so.

Many older games created before Win10 and before high res displays have issues with the Win10 scaling, even if they've been upgraded to include those display settings as an option. The issue has to do with the in game text scaling rather than the graphics scaling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMD SH4.jpg (92.4 KB, 12 views)

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 09:21 PM   #52
DaveR
A-ganger

Downloads: 190
Default JSME not working

restarted playing, last was several years back. installed TMO and started campaign; but kept running into weird problems. went to re-install but managed to lose all the mods. while re-downloading, ran into this (excellent) thread. followed all the suggestions, but JSME isn't working. tried re-installing everything, but still no joy. any suggestions?
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-19, 09:50 PM   #53
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Are you trying to use JSGME version 2.6? If not, get it and use it. What is the path to your game install? The game's install proggy defaults to "C:\Program Files (x86)\ Ubisoft \ Silent Hunter..."?? What we're really curious about, is "what do you mean, 'Won't work'?" ie: "JSGME won't start" - or else - "When I activate the mod with JSGME, the mod isn't showing in SH4"?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-19, 02:55 PM   #54
DaveR
A-ganger

Default JSME not working

version 2.6.0157

what is happening; installed JSGME in newly installed SH4. move '1_TMO_2-5' to activated mode and it just jumps there. doesn't change anything. tried loading others, same thing, like magnified hud dials, and nothing, (no indication that files were changed). go to the game, nothing has changed. that's it. it was working, until I re-installed out of program files(86)---- just had a thought.

just checked folders, set to read-only - but - still not working...

what? just checked, still read-only. uncheck read-only, and get a 'attribute' window shows going in and assume changing all the files and then re-open the folder and it is set back to read only... win10 pro....

Last edited by DaveR; 03-13-19 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 04:02 PM   #55
DaveR
A-ganger

Default JSGME not working

so, have a win7 computer, installed SH4 and JSGME; it works. win7 has read only folder set with 'check mark'. doing that on win10 folders and JSGME reports it can't write to anything. this was working before...…..
Old 03-13-19, 04:46 PM   #56
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
so, have a win7 computer, installed SH4 and JSGME; it works. win7 has read only folder set with 'check mark'. doing that on win10 folders and JSGME reports it can't write to anything. this was working before...…..
dave,
you need to remove the read-only status.
open a windows explorer window and browse to the folder where SH4 is installed.
right-clock on the highest level SH4 folder and select Properties. Uncheck the read-only box and click OK. you will be asked at what level do you wish to apply the change, select "this folder and all subfolders and files". the process will take a few minutes, so have patience. :-)
this should cure your problem.
it will work for win7 and win10.
good luck.

LAA enabled
Old 03-13-19, 05:29 PM   #57
DaveR
A-ganger

""and get a 'attribute' window shows going in and assume changing all the files and then re-open the folder and it is set back to read only... ""

i went in and all top folders are set to this filled in box and everything else is working fine. i don't know what this means, but i don't 'think'(?) this is the problem. on the win7 computer, they are set to the grey check mark. but don't understand what that means.
Old 03-13-19, 05:49 PM   #58
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

yeah, windows does that. did you make another attempt to apply your mods with JGSME and did it succeed or fail?

LAA enabled
Old 03-13-19, 06:57 PM   #59
DaveR
A-ganger

nope...
Old 03-13-19, 07:06 PM   #60
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
nope...
i would try to apply your mods again.

LAA enabled