SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-28-07, 03:40 PM   #16
VonHammer
Engineer

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

im glad that when i got my new laptop that i got a free upgrade to 2gb of ram and a 160gb harddrive. i might be thinking about getting an external one. anyone have any idea on how much they run?
VonHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 04:51 PM   #17
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...drives&ic=24_0

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/categ...0hard%20drives

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category
Old 08-28-07, 06:47 PM   #18
VonHammer
Engineer

thanks for those links. i think i mite be fine with the one i got now.
Old 08-28-07, 09:01 PM   #19
VonHammer
Engineer

wheres the part 08 of the AFRS satation? when i was extracinting it it said it needed part 08 to contiue. help?
Old 08-29-07, 08:23 AM   #20
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHammer
wheres the part 08 of the AFRS satation? when i was extracinting it it said it needed part 08 to contiue. help?
I'm currently in the middle of uploading the latest version of AFRS. In fact, I'm uploading part 8 as I type this. It'll probably be sometime tomorrow before all 19 parts are available. I will post a notice here when they are.
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 08:41 AM   #21
VonHammer
Engineer

ok thanks now that im going home, it will be sometime before i can get the rest of them downloaded. my om doesnt have wireless internet. also i am having some issues. i cant hear any of the news broadcastas. do i have to move them into the events folder?
Old 08-29-07, 11:04 AM   #22
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHammer
ok thanks now that im going home, it will be sometime before i can get the rest of them downloaded. my om doesnt have wireless internet. also i am having some issues. i cant hear any of the news broadcastas. do i have to move them into the events folder?
Did you copy the channel info in the readme file and paste it into the appropriate section of your radio.ini file? If you used JSGME to install, that's the only thing you have to do by hand (besides adding any music that is). Which station are you having trouble with?
Old 08-29-07, 12:19 PM   #23
Navelintel
Mate

Downloads: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
I have created several radio mods for Silent Hunter 4, as well as seperate music files, divided by year. All except the music files are JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler compatible. The files in the mods are of a higher bitrate than some other mods, so they are quite large as a consequence. In fact, you may not wish to use JSGME with a couple of them because of this.

Radio stations do not include music, only the appropriate news and entertainment programs. Except for the KGMB station, all are subdivided by year for the music files. While you can control programs in the "Events" folder with events.ini, you can't control the music. And hearing a song about Iwo Jima in 1942 is just ...wrong. :-) I have only included comedy and variety programs with the stations. Adding dramas would not only make them even bigger, but programs like that would likely get tedious to listen to after awhile. The radio station parts can be found in individual folders on the site.

All except the music files include readmes. These contain installation instructions, more information, and the channel info you'll need to copy and paste into the "radio.ini" in order to hear the radio stations.

Here is what I have available:

1940 (184 songs), 1941 (219 songs), 1942 (145 songs), 1943 (75 songs), 1944 (129 songs), and 1945 (123 songs) music files. Can be used with any radio station, or the Gramophone.

NBC radio station. You must download all 16 files in order to extract properly. A little under 4.5GBs total.

This will add the real life NBC radio station KPO in San Francisco. It includes NBC news broadcasts, some speeches, the Abbott and Costello, Amos and Andy, Bob Hope, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy, Fibber McGee and Molly, The Great Gildersleeve, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, and Spike Jones entertainment programs.

Armed Forces Radio Service stations. You must download all 19 files in order to extract properly. A little under 5GBs total.

This is a set of 4 radio stations. These stations (Honolulu, Midway, Guam [from September 1944], and Wollongong, Australia) play programs produced by the Armed Forces Radio Service. Programs included are Command Performance, G.I. Jive, G.I. Journal, and Mail Call. It does not include any news.

KGMB Honolulu radio station. You must download all 3 files in order to extract properly. A little under 800MBs total.

This is the real life CBS radio station KGMB in Honolulu. This station plays news produced by the CBS network, as well as some speeches. This station is famous as the one both the Japanese and the American B-17 bombers used to home in on Honolulu on the morning of December 7th, 1941. It does not include any entertainment programs.

CBS radio station. You must download all 6 files in order to extract properly. Around 1.5GBs total.

This will add the real life CBS radio station KNX in Los Angeles. It includes CBS news broadcasts, some speeches, and the Burns and Allen and Fred Allen entertainment programs.

The files can be downloaded from here:

http://hosted.filefront.com/fred8615/

Enjoy!
Hi,

I'd llike to download your radio mods but I have no idea how to do so. I tried to download and open (extract) AFRS and enable with JSGME but no luck. I'm not sure if I opened the zip file correctly since I could not find the 19 files that you mentioned either. As a newbie to this site and SH4 , if you could you walk me through the process I'd appreciate it. Please help!

Navelintel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 02:49 PM   #24
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Read about 6 posts above this one (#25). I'm now on part 13.
Old 08-29-07, 07:57 PM   #25
SteveHump
Watch

Downloads: 22
FIOS Broadband downloading big files on LAN...

I am having success in downloading multiple big AFRS files at the same time using Verizon FIOS 5MB/SEC connection to my NETGEAR LAN controller (7 home computers). DL rates are about 200KB/SEC for each of 3 downloads at a time.

Hope to have all the files downloaded by the weekend.

Thanks to all the guys creating these radio mods. Wonderful nostalgia for an old fart like me.
SteveHump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 01:13 PM   #26
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM SteveHump

RDP

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 03:49 PM   #27
C DuDe
Ensign

Downloads: 17

Sounds very interesting.

Is it possible to get this in 1 big zip file?
No offense but I dislike downloading 19 different files.
Call me lazy.
C DuDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 04:32 PM   #28
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: Filefront has a 1GB file size limit on uploads, as well as a 10 hour time limit. Also, uploading one huge file would take me waaaaay too long as well. It takes three days uploading the smaller files.

I made them 256MB so people could download a bit here, a bit there, if they needed to. I'm sorry if you don't want to download that many files, but short of sending you a DVD, I don't know how else to accomodate you.

Last edited by fred8615; 08-31-07 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-30-07, 05:52 PM   #29
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DuDe
Call me lazy.
Lazy! (sorry I couldn't resist and besides, you asked for it :rotfl: )

Seriously, downloading in many small pieces is better (unless, of course you're talking about a restart capable ftp download). Have you ever been 30 seconds away from the end of a multi gigabyte download and had an internet hiccup or a power glitch? It ain't pretty! Or gotten the entire file only to find out that it is corrupted? Not a pretty sight either.

The only way I would want to attempt a download of this size is if it were on a torrent network or as it is (broken up in parts).

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 03:09 AM   #30
C DuDe
Ensign

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by C DuDe
Call me lazy.
Lazy! (sorry I couldn't resist and besides, you asked for it :rotfl: )

Seriously, downloading in many small pieces is better (unless, of course you're talking about a restart capable ftp download). Have you ever been 30 seconds away from the end of a multi gigabyte download and had an internet hiccup or a power glitch? It ain't pretty! Or gotten the entire file only to find out that it is corrupted? Not a pretty sight either.

The only way I would want to attempt a download of this size is if it were on a torrent network or as it is (broken up in parts).
Thx... needed that :p

Have to say that My ISP is a pain helpdesk wise but never had a hiccup even with super size DL's.

Now thats an idea... I use Bitlord

But Ok, I'll start DL-ing them.
C DuDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music, radio, radio stations