SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-20, 08:02 AM   #2596
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I think almost all medical facilities in areas hard hit by the pandemic are scaling back on medical procedures deemed not critical or emergent. One of the observations being made recently is about the two Navy Hospital Ships, one in Los Angeles and one in New York City operating at way low capacity amid the crisis; one of the main reasons for the low usage is that the ships were originally planned to serve non-Covid Positive patients; since so many elective surgeries and procedures are now being put on hold in order to conserve manpower, equipment and other resources solely to fight the virus, there are way, way fewer actual patients than would be normally expected in the hospitals, clinics, etc.; kinda brings up the question of just how many patients, under normal circumstances, are in hospital because of severe conditions actual requiring hospitalization? I know here in LA, if you subtracted all the tummy tucks, facelifts, liposuctions, etc., from the hospitals, a lot of them would probably go bankrupt...

Whether or not you or anyone else might have to have a procedure postponed is a judgement call to be made by your attending physician; I don't think any reputable MD is going to risk a malpractice situation by postponing a procedure out of hand without consideration. If you are having a situation where you fear for your own health without the procedure, I would suggest you make those thoughts known explicitly to your MD. I have found being insistent about one's own health can often be not only desirable, but also necessary...

I feel your pain: my most recent doctor's "visit" was done over the phone and the clinic has indicated my next visit may also be via phone; I actually had to take my own temperature, pulse, and blood pressure here at home and relay the numbers to my doctor over the phone; fortunately, owing to prior medical situations, I already have the necessary equipment. I'm supposed to have my first visit with the Neurologist on 21 Apr regarding whether my brain damage is a sign of Alzheimer's (most likely) or MS (less likely); I haven't heard from the neurologist's office about rescheduling, so I guess its still on, although I suspect I will hear sometime soon...

Hopefully, things will get back to normal, or as close to normal as possible, and the overall health systems will recover...

<O>
Old 04-09-20, 08:55 AM   #2597
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Ok how about this?
It comes down to logistics. Take a student who just graduated from high school (grade 12). How long would it take for them to become a doctor? Or a surgeon? Or a nurse? You can't force that timeline without bad consequences. What about hospitals and clinics where they can work? How long do they take to build?

With the pandemic, as I've said before, we're already up to our ### in alligators. At its core, its a situation that is out of our control. Warnings were ignored and now we're paying for it. All of us who had a pre-existing condition have been moved to the back of the stove for a while.

Look at it another way: Take the case of Tripler Army Medical Center on Oahu. Its huge. Massively huge. I want to say it has room for 10,000 beds but its been a while and I don't remember the exact number. Its also mostly empty on a normal day, on the order of maybe five patients on a given day.
So, why is Tripler still there? It was built to house casualties of wars in the pacific and Asia.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 09:18 AM   #2598
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 09:41 AM   #2599
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Whether or not you or anyone else might have to have a procedure postponed is a judgement call to be made by your attending physician; I don't think any reputable MD is going to risk a malpractice situation by postponing a procedure out of hand without consideration.
The situation is a little different here in Canada because of our free health care. Well it's not free (tax payer funded) and it is very selective. Last year I waited seven months for a hernia operation. During that time my operation was bumped twice. Right now it is not the doctors who are postponing the procedures, it is the Government run hospitals who won't let them use the facilities they normally operate in.

Quote:
I have found being insistent about one's own health can often be not only desirable, but also necessary...
Here you can insist all you want and most people do but it doesn't matter. Something to think about when pushing for a state run medicare for all health care system. It's called selective for a reason.

Quote:
I'm supposed to have my first visit with the Neurologist on 21 Apr regarding whether my brain damage is a sign of Alzheimer's (most likely) or MS (less likely); I haven't heard from the neurologist's office about rescheduling, so I guess its still on, although I suspect I will hear sometime soon...
I'm wishing you all the best in your situation. Good luck man and take care of yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
With the pandemic, as I've said before, we're already up to our ### in alligators. At its core, its a situation that is out of our control. Warnings were ignored and now we're paying for it. All of us who had a pre-existing condition have been moved to the back of the stove for a while.
It is even more unique here in Canada's smallest province, population 160,000. We have only two hospitals that do all the surgeries, cancer treatments and testing MRIs, CAT scans etc. Both of these hospitals have set up special isolated wings to treat any Covid-19 cases. Funny thing is there have been no cases that have required admission to these special wings. Yet no other procedures except life threatening cases (car accidents, heart attacks, cancer treatments etc.) are being done.

And that is my point. If my problem with my bowel was happening now the problem may have gone undetected until it was too late.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 09:51 AM   #2600
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Scheiße.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...orean-cdc-says
Old 04-09-20, 09:59 AM   #2601
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

******** my bad
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Last edited by Mr Quatro; 04-09-20 at 10:18 AM. Reason: too political
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 10:08 AM   #2602
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Let's keep politics unrelated to the pandemic in the politics forum as much as possible, please
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 10:16 AM   #2603
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
It's not the flu or is that too difficult for you to grasp. It's on top of the flu.
it's not too difficult for me or August to grasp, but where are the contracted and dead figures for flu vs the virus. If the virus is catching up with the flu figures then where is the data to prove it.

Sure the time line is faster for the Covid-19 which just started in the middle of the flu season, but they both kill.

The virus is 10 times more likely to get to you, but the flu will still be here next year too ... What a mess that will be unless that new quick way to know if it is the covid-19 virus is at every hospital, clinic, sports stadium, theater, church, bar, restaurant, work place with more than ten employees to make sure you are not carrying the virus.

Heaven forbid Bill Gates has suggested a new microchip inserted ID tag to do just that

https://biohackinfo.com/news-bill-ga...-certificates/

Quote:
Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates will launch human-implantable capsules that have ‘digital certificates’ which can show who has been tested for the coronavirus and who has been vaccinated against it.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 10:25 AM   #2604
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
First tip off: nowhere in the clip is any mention made of Covid-19, Wuhan, or any of the bandied about references to a bio-warfare lab. The use of the clip seems to be one of those 'coulda, mighta been' extrapolations so common in the conspiracy theory buff circles. This article may help to give a better knowledge of the facts without the fiction:

Was Charles Lieber Arrested for Selling the COVID-19 Coronavirus to China? --

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ch...d-coronavirus/

...and this:

No Link Between Harvard Scientist Charles Lieber and Coronavirus --

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/no...d-coronavirus/

As noted in the above article, the current extent of the charges is lying to the Feds; no espionage charges, no charges related to bio-warfare, just plain lying to the Feds; in fact, Dr. Lieber could have legally worked with Chinese researchers and academics, but he failed to fully disclose the extent of his compensation from China, so all he is facing is about five (5) years in Federal Prison and a possible fine of up to USD $250,000...

The interesting aspect of Dr. Lieber is how very highly regarded he is in his field; he is no obscure, disgruntled low level academic researcher seeking to cash in because he isn't getting the recognition he feels he deserves; this guy is way, way up on the academic honors chain and not the usual sort to be involved in the sort of espionage scenarios usually attending this sort of situation. It should also be noted Dr. Lieber's field of expertise is in Nanoelectronics and brain science. in particular the inorganic science aspect of brain/device integrations. This indicates he verily likely is not the sort of expert the Chinese, or any other government would use for a purely organic bio-warfare project...

Just doin' the homework...

<O>
Appreciate the detailed response

Old 04-09-20, 10:53 AM   #2605
vienna
Navy Seal

The HHS response to the requests by the US states seems to have been rather haphazard, at best; the House Oversight and Reform Committee requested data from HHS on how assistance to the states was doled out and the specific quantities:

Oversight Panel: Trump Admin. Didn’t Distribute Stockpile Supplies Based On States’ Needs --

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b6b371812b6403

I really hope Congress moves to tighten up accountability and record-keeping requirements so, in the future, the response to crises will not be so shody and, potentially, life threatening...

<O>
Old 04-09-20, 10:54 AM   #2606
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Appreciate the detailed response

Not a problem; if there's one thing I actually do enjoy, its research...

<O>
Old 04-09-20, 11:12 AM   #2607
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Interesting article on the bureaucratic problems at the FDA and how it contributed to the pandemic:

https://www.city-journal.org/fda-bur...covid-19-fight

Quote:
Americans are dying daily because of FDA regulations that have repeatedly delayed testing for the Covid-19 virus and impeded the manufacture and deployment of masks and other protective equipment. The agency’s obstructionism has angered the public—and prompted a search for scapegoats at the FDA and the White House—but there’s nothing unusual about these deadly delays. They’re an inevitable consequence of the FDA’s rules and its charter to allow only medical treatments and devices that its cautious bureaucrats have decreed to be “safe and effective.” This philosophy is conservatively estimated to be responsible for tens of millions of deaths of people waiting for the FDA to approve treatments for cancer, heart disease, and other ailments.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 01:07 PM   #2608
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
it's not too difficult for me or August to grasp, but where are the contracted and dead figures for flu vs the virus. If the virus is catching up with the flu figures then where is the data to prove it.

Sure the time line is faster for the Covid-19 which just started in the middle of the flu season, but they both kill.

The virus is 10 times more likely to get to you, but the flu will still be here next year too ...
Without the intervention of unprecedented social distancing and shutting down mass gatherings nationwide, just what would expect to happen?
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 01:11 PM   #2609
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Interesting article on the bureaucratic problems at the FDA and how it contributed to the pandemic:

https://www.city-journal.org/fda-bur...covid-19-fight
And probably saved even more by keeping the quack devices and drugs in check

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-20, 01:38 PM   #2610
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris is out of ICU but still remains in hospital.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan