Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 07-30-06, 11:29 PM   #1
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default It BETTER be good SkyBird!

Just broke down and forked out the money for the Steel Beasts Pro PE game from Esim. I sure hope it's worth the mulla after I recieve it in a few days and test it out. I will post back with my thoughts and I promise not to body slam you this time if it's not all that it's cracked up to be from your review . Honestly my stomach felt a bit sick about spending so much on a tank sim but there isn't crap out there on EBgames or Direct2drive.com right now that I am interested in and hasn't been for quite some time, so I've been saving. I still have some left over to pick up Pacific Storm and a few others that I have waiting for awhile now, so if the tank sim doesn't pan out I shouldn't have to wait much longer to get back to naval operations again which I truely love. Anyways, nice talking to you buddy and I will write back once I have tested this dirty tank sim bugger out.

Old 07-31-06, 06:23 AM   #2
Wilko
Officer

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

I wish I could afford it my self but that 125us will probly equate out to something like 160aus
Old 07-31-06, 08:22 AM   #3
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko
I wish I could afford it my self but that 125us will probly equate out to something like 160aus
OUCH!

Well you CAN afford it....if you do lots of tedious saving that is. That means every dollar you find laying around the house, on the streets, taking from a blind man's mug , taking from your church's collection plate as it's passed around (I mean really, who needs the money more, you or God?), and put $5-$10 away into a jar from your honestly earned paycheck from your job every two weeks, you could even go wishing well diving (I don't know if any of THEIR wishes came true, but YOURS certainly will). Do all that and you should have this game in no time and maybe even have enough to buy a new PC too!

NOTE: The average family has nearly $100 dollars laying around in the house. Under couches and their seat cushions, on top of the washer/dryer, your kid(s') college fund jar, their saved up lemonade money... There are just sooo many ways to save!!!!!

Last edited by SubSerpent; 07-31-06 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 04:22 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

So far I still wait to hear about a first single complaint, personally, or ion the main forum. so far there simply hasn't been one, period. I simply could not name anyone who was unhappy with SBP-PE so far. I have completely given up playing any other simulation, including Falcon, FS, and IL2.

There are some fine new skins around. Replacing sky textures manually also makes sometimes a good change for the better (weather engine so far is embedded in the simulation code, but not activated, since it is not complete and finetuned). Report back when you have mastered the basics, then I tell you about these visual improvements. No need to worry about this in the beginning. Mastering the basics is mor important.

Check the ressources-sticky for patches and firmware updates. I keep it updated all the time.

Since you maybe do not read the manual before installing: first install the sim, before plugging in the dongle for the first time and install it's driver. The manuals says that, too.
Old 07-31-06, 04:32 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilko
see it this way: it costs as much as two copies of Dangerous waters in the beginning have costed (60 dollars without shipping). It costs as much as three mass production games on the shelves for 39 euros a piece. Skip three nonsens games you will have given up after some weeks or months anyway, and the steel zoo is yours - and will accompany you probably for years. the only thing that could cause irritation is if the dongle fails. It is a technical device that could brake like any other component of your system. There are replacement options available so that you do not need to pay the complete price a second time, but basically only the hardware and shipping.

The software is constantly developed and updated. You will get all and everything the real military is ordering, too.

But please remember, that this is a two-split thing: because you also will not get anything that the military has not ordered. The military exclusively decides what will find it's ways into the sim, not the demand of gamers and private customers.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-31-06 at 04:35 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 06:47 PM   #6
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I can't wait to try it out

BTW, how are the sounds in the game? Are they earth shattering when firing the main gun? Wonder how they will sound on my surround sound headphones?:hmm:
Old 08-01-06, 05:41 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Most, if not all, are digital live-recordings. They are carried over from SB1 for the most. Some sounds are stereo, working as a directional clue (f.e.when switching off you engine and standing in the turret, you can hear other tanks in your vicinity, and determine their direction), others are not (f.e. generally, fire from the main guns of tanks close by, battle ambient sounds). But it took me some time to realize the latter. Sound theatre is consdered by people to be very immersiove and well-done. However, the sound guru already works on replacing the sound system all together, and switch it all to fully 3D sound. But - and that keep in mind - there is no timetable for the release of this, and it also is no priority, compared to other things. It could be quite a long wait before they do it.

Some single weapon effects can be replaced with modded sounds. However, I only replaced the coaxial sound, the other replacements that are available did not convince me. But no need to worry about these things as long as you haven't gone beyond the basics of the sim. It will keep you hidden from your social life for some time to come.

All in all it is fair to say that the sim is LOUD, immersive, and that the sound environement probably will be massively improved in an unknown future.
Old 08-01-06, 09:12 AM   #8
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird
Most, if not all, are digital live-recordings. They are carried over from SB1 for the most. Some sounds are stereo, working as a directional clue (f.e.when switching off you engine and standing in the turret, you can hear other tanks in your vicinity, and determine their direction), others are not (f.e. generally, fire from the main guns of tanks close by, battle ambient sounds). But it took me some time to realize the latter. Sound theatre is consdered by people to be very immersiove and well-done. However, the sound guru already works on replacing the sound system all together, and switch it all to fully 3D sound. But - and that keep in mind - there is no timetable for the release of this, and it also is no priority, compared to other things. It could be quite a long wait before they do it.

Some single weapon effects can be replaced with modded sounds. However, I only replaced the coaxial sound, the other replacements that are available did not convince me. But no need to worry about these things as long as you haven't gone beyond the basics of the sim. It will keep you hidden from your social life for some time to come.

All in all it is fair to say that the sim is LOUD, immersive, and that the sound environement probably will be massively improved in an unknown future.

Well, what I really want to know is this sim going to be "upgraded" as time goes on to be more or less SB2 which isn't slated to come out until 07 or 08? More or less is this a "beta" version of SB2 that will end up becoming SB2 down the road and box under that new name?