SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-01-20, 01:39 PM   #1156
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ravelli View Post
Ok, thank you. The thing is that I have the DVD version and don't like the idea of buying the core game twice in order to have it in steam...

If you don't have SH3 & SH5, and would want to, then keep a weather eye on Steam for them to do a 3 in 1 bundle pack, else I don't know what to tell you. This mega & Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters, requires having SH4 v1.5 that includes the Uboat Missions add in... else this mega or the other 1 I mentioned is not going to work.

Don't know if the version of FotRS, is still available for the SH4 v1.4 any more or not.. much less if there is a version of Operation Monsun Enhanced: Dark Waters or even the base of that mega, Operation Monsun is even available for SH4 v1.4 to be quite frank about it... doesn't mean I couldn't be wrong about that, but...

Maybe more knowledgeable sub-simmer's might pipe up & confirm or deny My assertions here.

Any way, fair winds, smooth seas & plentiful hunting otherwise.

Mad Mardigan

Old 06-01-20, 01:51 PM   #1157
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Wanted to congratulate the team. While have not had a chance to do a full patrol I ran a couple missions, great job. Look forward to a full patrol, AI subs etc. Neat little touch is enemy vessels shooting off flares when sinking.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 03:21 PM   #1158
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
I have a "personal taste" question:

About the scopes and optics in FOTRSU. As I wrote, only for my taste, I prefer small scopes graphics in the scope views, of the size of default, TMO or RFB (BTW I consider the scopes graphics in RFB the best in any SH4 megamod). The scopes in FOTRSU are great, I live very well with them, but the small sized graphics of RFB (or vanilla, or TMO), are more immersive for me.

Then: Could I change the graphics of the FOTRSU scopes (those in american skins folder), by those of RFB without ruin all the FOTRSU optics? I mean: I know I should change the cameras.dat file from FOTRSU by that of RFB. But I´m not secure if this change of cameras doesn´t affect all the FOTRSU optics system on manual targeting, and also how it could work with the measures in the FOTRSU recognition manual. Is there some possibility to add in a future update an optional small size scopes as an JSGME compatible mod? If there isn´t any problem changing the skins and the cameras.dat from RFB, I can do it myself. My principal concern is about how the cameras.dat of RFB could change the optics in FOTRSU, and the manual targeting system. With autotargeting, there isn´t any problem with this change.

Many thanks for the attention for this very personal request...

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
You are really delving into the Black Arts of modding there with the menu_1024_768.ini file... scary stuff... mostly because you are taking FotRSU CapnScurvy's optics from OTC, but without the "Centering" portion of the mod, and mixing it with RFB (which he also helped with), from a mod that was originally built on TMO v1.7 (FotRSU)... You could try, but it is probably CTD country you are venturing into... at least, if it was me doing the editing... - there is no harm in trying though, and yes, the camera.dat would influence quite a bit also...

Quote:
Sorry if this has been answwered before, but there are 51 pages of posts already. I own the DVD with the core game, but not yhe add on. Can I still use this mod?
Thanks
As always, on the first "Release" page:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotRSU Mod Team View Post
Announcing 14th May, 2020
Please note that we expect typos here and mistakes in the mod. Just let us know!

Version 1.1 of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate Edition mod
This is not the download link - this is a title - do not click on this more than three times or we will begin to worry about you
Note: This mod is for "Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific" v1.5 only - with Uboat Missions Add-on
So, you definitely need the U-Boat Missions Add-on. Ubisoft had it a while back for like $3US, but last time I looked, it was not available there. They do however have SH5, 4, 3 & even II all "on sale" for $10US on their site, so the US Store SH4 Gold is here. Amazon does not have the Uboat Missions Addon available either. They do have the "Gold Edition" available again as a download for $20US though. The Steam scheme is you buy SH4 v1.3, and SH4 Uboat Missions Add-on to get their version of a "Gold" package. You cannot add their Uboat Missions to your disk version. As Mad_Mardigan mentioned, they do have "sales" all of the time, the last one for Memorial Day, the next probably will be either a July 4th, or a Summer Sale. At this point in time, they are $10US each, but when they put them "on sale", it is usually for about $4 each, and you will see Amazon follow suit, and price their "Gold" download for similar, so watch them both. It is (was??) easier to use the Amazon download, but the downloaded games are a constantly shifting sand dune...

Quote:
Ok, thank you. The thing is that I have the dvd version and dont like the idea of buying the core game twice in order to have it in steam...
If you have two computers, one for each! With v1.3 DVD, use the Ubisoft v1.4 patch, and then AOTD_MadMax's Fall of the Rising Sun v1.3 and updates. We have a patch somewhere around here for the "run-a-way "spawns" the mod has... if I could just find it on this hard drive... maybe KaleunMarco still has it... or s7rikeback... If you can figure-out the German, MadMax's v2 of the mod is really beautiful. Though, of course, nothing is as good as FotRSU... - but those are the mods this one came from. There is RFB v1.4, and I don't remember if it's TMO v1.6 or v1.7 that can go on SH4 v1.4... You have to really dig though, to find all of the patches for all of the above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Wanted to congratulate the team. While have not had a chance to do a full patrol I ran a couple missions, great job. Look forward to a full patrol, AI subs etc. Neat little touch is enemy vessels shooting off flares when sinking.
Thanks! Appreciate that. We will have a beta patch for the next potential release hopefully by tomorrow, that will go on top of v1.1 for a few fixes. It will also include a splitting of the US_HarborTraffic file into the separate 41a, etc. "layer" files, which should improve "efficiency" further, and eliminate those ugly multiple spawns at the docks on the Allied side... Keep your eyes pealed!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 04:23 PM   #1159
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You are really delving into the Black Arts of modding there with the menu_1024_768.ini file... scary stuff... mostly because you are taking FotRSU CapnScurvy's optics from OTC, but without the "Centering" portion of the mod, and mixing it with RFB (which he also helped with), from a mod that was originally built on TMO v1.7 (FotRSU)... You could try, but it is probably CTD country you are venturing into... at least, if it was me doing the editing... - there is no harm in trying though, and yes, the camera.dat would influence quite a bit also...
Really does this deal with menu ini file? My main concern is how manual targeting would work with the cameras.dat of another mod. The changes I mean are the skins of both scopes and the cameras.dat, because I think FOTRSU cameras are adapted for the large optics and with the small size scopes of RFB the marks in the scopes are different. But I don't want to change the HUD of FOTRSU or the gauges or the TDC. I'll do the diabolic experiment and tell you how it works.

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 04:26 PM   #1160
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

"Thanks! Appreciate that. We will have a beta patch for the next potential release hopefully by tomorrow, that will go on top of v1.1 for a few fixes. It will also include a splitting of the US_HarborTraffic file into the separate 41a, etc. "layer" files, which should improve "efficiency" further, and eliminate those ugly multiple spawns at the docks on the Allied side... Keep your eyes pealed!"

[/QUOTE]

Thanks will do.Only issue I have noticed so far(aside from CTD when have vickers interiors enabled but I think its because didnt have LAA activated properly, going to toy around with it tonight) . The zoom on the map is a bit "squirrely" as well. I forget, how do I go about getting the "black marks" back representing ships, planes etc, I enjoy the fog of war that that presents
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 04:49 PM   #1161
rebelchemist
Nub

Downloads: 30

OK...Technical question.

I just got a new gaming Laptop. Dell Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 grachics.

Like I said, new laptop so fresh install. Finally got the MOD working Saturday night and started a campaign (looks great BTW). Saved the game after I sank a medium cargo ship (thanks for having the stadimeter work right). Called it a night (like I said FINALLY got it working). Come back the next day, start the game, it goes thru the intro, then gets stuck on a black screen with a movable cursor.

Any ideas?

I'm a chemist, not a computer guy. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks
rebelchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 08:29 PM   #1162
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

rebelchemist!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 09:05 PM   #1163
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Technical questins asked free... charged 4$ for answers.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelchemist View Post
OK...Technical question.

I just got a new gaming Laptop. Dell Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 grachics.

Like I said, new laptop so fresh install. Finally got the MOD working Saturday night and started a campaign (looks great BTW). Saved the game after I sank a medium cargo ship (thanks for having the stadimeter work right). Called it a night (like I said FINALLY got it working). Come back the next day, start the game, it goes thru the intro, then gets stuck on a black screen with a movable cursor.

Any ideas?

I'm a chemist, not a computer guy. Let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks
Just kidding about answers costing $$$... just My weird twisted sense of humor... Ok, any way on to your dilemma...

Ok, details are major important in finding solutions... What is the mod load out that you have in the JSGME Mods folder & order activated via JSGME.?

After that bit of info, what sub did you run with... what was the date service started for your career, what sub base are you based... what was the area you were when you saved.. (if you can remember this, it helps, but if not.. then hanging by thumbs keelhauling is the order of the day for you shortly, no court martial just joshing... ) outside of that, what were your orders before leaving home port.?

Details, RebelChemist... details.. very important, tattoo them down if needs be.. but never forget them...

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 06-01-20 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Corrected postdue to asking about info that the person I quoted had already provided... :oops:
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 09:40 PM   #1164
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Strange I am having an issue almost exactly like Rebelchemist.

The game worked fine last time I played it which was yesterday. Today I go to launch it and the FOTRSU splash screen appears, it loads to like maybe 65-75% and then it CTDs.
Before that I could see my mouse cursor on the splash screen, not sure if that is supposed to happen.

I've tried clearing out my save game folder to no avail. I was in Pearl Harbor, commanding the USS Trout I believe and my mission was to patrol in the Marshall Islands and perform reconnaissance.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-20, 10:06 PM   #1165
rebelchemist
Nub

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Just kidding about answers costing $$$... just My weird twisted sense of humor... Ok, any way on to your dilemma...

Ok, details are major important in finding solutions... What is the mod load out that you have in the JSGME Mods folder & order activated via JSGME.?

After that bit of info, what sub did you run with... what was the date service started for your career, what sub base are you based... what was the area you were when you saved.. (if you can remember this, it helps, but if not.. then hanging by thumbs keelhauling is the order of the day for you shortly, no court martial just joshing... ) outside of that, what were your orders before leaving home port.?

Details, RebelChemist... details.. very important, tattoo them down if needs be.. but never forget them...

I started a new career in Asiatic fleet out of Manilla Dec 8, 1941. Porpoise Class (in fact, USS Porpoise). Was sent to patrol off Hong Kong for 10 days and got a medium freighter (don't remember the specific ship) during the day of Dec 14. Freighter was on a course of ~100. I had just returned to my patrol course after the ship sank when I saved the game.

The only Mod i'm using right now is FOTRSU.
rebelchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 04:36 AM   #1166
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Is there a issue in FOTRSU 1.1 with supply missions when you play the german sub? I had a supply to deliver in Tokyo, I didn't get the anchor symbol to dock, but when I stopped all engines a dialogue poped-up saying I was ready to deliver and launch the boat.
Clicking on Launch Boat will crash the game.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 05:04 AM   #1167
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Technical questins asked free... charged 4$ for answers.. lol

Quote:
I started a new career in Asiatic fleet out of Manilla Dec 8, 1941. Porpoise Class (in fact, USS Porpoise). Was sent to patrol off Hong Kong for 10 days and got a medium freighter (don't remember the specific ship) during the day of Dec 14. Freighter was on a course of ~100. I had just returned to my patrol course after the ship sank when I saved the game.

Sounds about similar to something that happened to Me, only with a serious twist.. with My incident, I did NOT ctd...

I got patrol Hong Kong (forget but think original name for it, but suspect it was Kowloon I do believe...) any way...

Right at the tail end of patrolling for 10 days, I came across a Medium Modern Split freighter... sank it, then as I was headed on to Convoy College per updated orders, to get there soonest, I ran across a 2nd identical ship & sank it as well, figuring what the heck, go for ALL the gusto. As with it's twin, I sank it with 1 hit with fish. Yeaahhh Me , you'd figure (seeing as how I got credit for the 1st 1.. ) Welp, 2nd ship, same kind as 1st... was a no go... NO ship sunk icon, NO credit for having sunk it. Nada, a big fat goose egg...

The worst is yet to come... get to where I'm supposed to be, get more updated orders, patrol off Formosa. Ran into a IJN Corvette Kanamura...

That ship was the Superman of the IJN fleet. I pumped 2 fish into it & it kept chugging right along as if I had only just tickled that sucker... end result, is, it sank Me & ended My career.

Just hold on & am sure the mod team will get with you about this with some info or to acknowledge it as a bug or something to investigate. They are quite good... Mucho respect for the team. Major props to them...

Mad Mardigan

p.s.

If you want to read up on it, can start with this:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&postcount=776

& just follow the trail from there to post #785 .

I leave that for you to decide...
Old 06-02-20, 07:13 AM   #1168
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

Just a heads up to let you know that there appear to be some very large discrepancies between the Height of Mast value given in the ship .cfg files added by the mod and the actual height of the mast in the model used.

For example the NKLCS_Nagara.cfg states a Height of Mast to be 20.2m but when comparing the Length value to the length of the model, it gives an actual height of 33.4m which is a long way from the stated 20.2m.

Please could someone check my method for me?

From NKLCS_Nagara.cfg

Code:
[Unit]
ClassName=KLCSNagara
3DModelFileName=data/Sea/NKLCS_Nagara/NKLCS_Nagara
UnitType=102
MaxSpeed=18
Length=147
Width=18.1
Mast=20.2
Draft=5.8
Displacement=7070

A 100% Orthoganal image from Blender of the ship model...

Assuming the Length of 147m is correct, the image above is 858 pixels which gives 5.837 pixels per meter.

A Mast Height of 20.2m therefore comes out to only 118 pixels which isn't even as tall as the mast itself.

You would need 195 pixels to go from the waterline to the tip of the actual mast yielding an actual height of 33.4m which is WAY off the stated 20.2m.

An error this large will make the Stadiometer completely useless as it will have no idea what the range to the target actually is.

What I propose to do is that as I create new Ship Silhouettes I will use the above method to draw up a revised Actual Height based on the stated Length and submit it to you at the same time as the Silhouettes.

Speaking of Silhouettes, the one shown for the Nagara Maru is not even of the same ship. The mast combination and funnel do not resemble the model used. All those issues will be resolved with my new Silhouettes.
Old 06-02-20, 09:22 AM   #1169
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Thanks will do.Only issue I have noticed so far(aside from CTD when have vickers interiors enabled but I think its because didnt have LAA activated properly, going to toy around with it tonight) . The zoom on the map is a bit "squirrely" as well. I forget, how do I go about getting the "black marks" back representing ships, planes etc, I enjoy the fog of war that that presents
The "black marks" would be TMO-style targeting, and RR had one set-up to go, which needs some filling-out for more ships. We were planning on having two other styles besides the "stock" style in the mod right now, but haven't gotten to those edits yet, mostly due to finding more issues... lol

Quote:
OK... new laptop so fresh install. Finally got the MOD working Saturday night and started a campaign (looks great BTW). Saved the game after I sank a medium cargo ship (thanks for having the stadimeter work right). Called it a night (like I said FINALLY got it working). Come back the next day, start the game, it goes thru the intro, then gets stuck on a black screen with a movable cursor...
Quote:

Do you see the Silent Hunter 4 window in the task bar? Does clicking on that get you into the game? Are there maybe two SH4 windows on the Task Bar, with one being an error message? Did Windows do an update on you between loads? When you Saved the game, did you give the Save a new name, or had you over-written a previous Save? After you hit the Save button, (and a 2nd time), did you give the game a few seconds (10-15) to write the file? Had you encountered anything "strange" in the game prior to your Save, such as a ship "light in the skirts", only partially in the "water", or maybe an airplane hanging seemingly mid-air but stationary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Strange I am having an issue almost exactly like Rebelchemist.

The game worked fine last time I played it which was yesterday. Today I go to launch it and the FOTRSU splash screen appears, it loads to like maybe 65-75% and then it CTDs.
Before that I could see my mouse cursor on the splash screen, not sure if that is supposed to happen.

I've tried clearing out my save game folder to no avail. I was in Pearl Harbor, commanding the USS Trout I believe and my mission was to patrol in the Marshall Islands and perform reconnaissance.
Same questions as to Rebelchemist above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Is there a issue in FOTRSU 1.1 with supply missions when you play the german sub? I had a supply to deliver in Tokyo, I didn't get the anchor symbol to dock, but when I stopped all engines a dialogue poped-up saying I was ready to deliver and launch the boat.
Clicking on Launch Boat will crash the game.
The only thing we did on the "German" side of the game was to make ship calls FotRSU compliant, so that the game would not crash on you. No other changes were made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCoffey View Post
Just a heads up to let you know that there appear to be some very large discrepancies between the Height of Mast value given in the ship .cfg files added by the mod and the actual height of the mast in the model used.

For example the NKLCS_Nagara.cfg states a Height of Mast to be 20.2m but when comparing the Length value to the length of the model, it gives an actual height of 33.4m which is a long way from the stated 20.2m.

Please could someone check my method for me?

From NKLCS_Nagara.cfg

Code:
[Unit]
ClassName=KLCSNagara
3DModelFileName=data/Sea/NKLCS_Nagara/NKLCS_Nagara
UnitType=102
MaxSpeed=18
Length=147
Width=18.1
Mast=20.2
Draft=5.8
Displacement=7070

A 100% Orthoganal image from Blender of the ship model...

Assuming the Length of 147m is correct, the image above is 858 pixels which gives 5.837 pixels per meter.

A Mast Height of 20.2m therefore comes out to only 118 pixels which isn't even as tall as the mast itself.

You would need 195 pixels to go from the waterline to the tip of the actual mast yielding an actual height of 33.4m which is WAY off the stated 20.2m.

An error this large will make the Stadiometer completely useless as it will have no idea what the range to the target actually is.

What I propose to do is that as I create new Ship Silhouettes I will use the above method to draw up a revised Actual Height based on the stated Length and submit it to you at the same time as the Silhouettes.

Speaking of Silhouettes, the one shown for the Nagara Maru is not even of the same ship. The mast combination and funnel do not resemble the model used. All those issues will be resolved with my new Silhouettes.
Therein lies the rub with ship "Length"... is it correct or not? There is a "yard stick" for SH3 that I've been going to try on the SH4 models. Let me see if I can find it, and then figure-out how to "relatively" accurately measure a given ship's "height", and then you could figure the length from that, such that all other ships are then measurable the way you are doing there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-20, 09:42 AM   #1170
DanielCoffey
Planesman

Downloads: 5

Ship Length is easy to determine from the Model in Blender. Using the Iowa as a yardstick as you suggested, I looked at the wiki (270.43m), checked the .cfg file (270.4) and checked the hull in Blender (27.40). This gives us a very quick "at a glance" hull length in Blender.