SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-06-19, 04:34 PM   #421
Katuna
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I second the motion of reviving the lost images. I have been scrounging everywhere for underdeck images of the engine room of a Type VII for my U-371 model. I found a couple scratchy pics from this thread but that's about it. Any chance of getting some of the images back?
Katuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 03:31 AM   #422
NZsnowman
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 6

I can re-post the updated images this week if I get time, however remember this drawing is for the Type VIIC/41 and not for the Type VIIB or VIIC. Also I was able to check the layout with U-995 a few weeks back and my drawings are not 100% correct.
NZsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 11:04 AM   #423
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Katuna!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-07-19 at 11:20 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-19, 09:35 AM   #424
Katuna
Swabbie

I would really appreciate that! I know your drawings are of the /41 but given the scale I'm working in I'm sure I can be forgiven by all but the most obnoxious of rivet counters. The Trumpeter model begs for more detail, especially under the engines. Obviously in 1/48 scale there's only so much I can replicate anyway. Anything is an improvement over an empty hull.

Speaking of which (and if I'm getting too off topic for this forum, please let me know), I can't for the life of me figure out the layout of the oil tanks under the engines. From the 3D renderings I've seen, it appears the tanks go from the bilge up to just below the V'd portion of the frame rib. Do the ribs go through the tank? Is the tank in segments between the ribs? I just can't seem to see it. It's been driving me nuts and it's a detail that is front and center on the cutaway of the model.

Snowman, I've been scrounging your images anywhere I can. They have been most helpful in my planning of my project. Thank you to you and all the others on the Subsim site. I know it's not a modelling site but it's been a wealth of info (gushing, gratuitous, self benefitting praise over).
Old 04-09-19, 09:37 AM   #425
Katuna
Swabbie

Aktungbby-Thanks but I have tons of photos of the engine room, especially of U-995. I've been looking for 3D renders like Snowmans for under the deck plates. I know the basic components but not the layout and piping. Thanks for the pics though!
Old 05-26-19, 11:09 PM   #426
Katuna
Swabbie

What is the story on these 2 green supports on either end of the waste oil tanks? Why are they green and why the electrical shock warning?

Old 05-27-19, 03:57 AM   #427
NZsnowman
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 6

Look like I forgot to post the link to the pictures. I tried posting the pictures last month but it did not work.

If they do not work, let me know.

Full engine room
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155197...6/46915617944/

Flooring
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155197...6/47639753601/

Piping
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155197...posted-public/
NZsnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-19, 03:43 PM   #428
Katuna
Swabbie

Simon - Thanks for posting those. I have most of those that I've managed to scrounge up here and there but there are a couple I didn't have. I also came across some Elevation views of the Engine Room that look as if they are also yours. Unfortunately they are in bits and pieces. Did you make any full views from either the Elevation or Cross Section views? Sorry to come to you with my hand out but your drawings have been so helpful in deciphering the plumbing under the deck plates. Tomi's have been most helpful too.

Oh, one other request, do you have a Legend for the colored piping labels?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 08-09-23, 10:41 AM   #429
Mysh
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZsnowman View Post
Look like I forgot to post the link to the pictures. I tried posting the pictures last month but it did not work.
Hey Snowman, I'm trying to contact you via various platforms. Tried via PN here, but I guess I'm not allowed to send you one. I'm searching for a Type VIIC engine 3D model. Maybe you read this message here. Please contact me if you do so!
Mysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-23, 11:33 AM   #430
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Nysh! be advised: one comtacts via PM...not PN!? It does appear that MZsnownam hasm't been active im four years...&, as his posted occupatiom is: "Smow and Avalamch Researcher", I'n gettimg a little worried nyself?!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-23, 01:11 PM   #431
Mysh
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
[COLOR="Lime"]Nysh!
Smowman is kimda hard to track dowm it seens - I saw he has mot beem postimg for years. But that's ny last resort. I desperately search for a fromtal view of the Type VII's diesel emgines because I wamt to do sone artwork based on it. A 90 degree view fron each side would also be mice.

Naybe soneome else here cam help? Naybe you? Would be highly appreciated.

PS: Is the "Gefallen Engel" missing the "er" on purpose?
Old 08-09-23, 02:07 PM   #432
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

PM Me. I can provide the 3D models.
Old 08-09-23, 02:32 PM   #433
Mysh
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
PM Me.
Thank you so much! Just sent you a message but it doesn't appear in the "sent" folder. Did you get anything?
Old 08-09-23, 02:35 PM   #434
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I got it and replied.