SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-30-13, 11:27 AM   #1
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Uploads: 0
Default Cannot get messages to work

As the title says I have nygm up to 3.6 and hsieandstieblers patch but the extra messages that h.sie instructions says are already in nygm 3.6 do not come up as text, ie if i go to flank speed all i get as text is 'CE' and then blank, any ideas what could be wrong? Thankyou.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 04:23 PM   #2
VONHARRIS
Konteradmiral

Downloads: 300

I don't know in NYGM but in GWX that problem is a sign of corrupt or faulty installation.
An extreme solution is to unistall and reinstall the patch.
VONHARRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 03:48 AM   #3
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

You give no indication concerning how many messages in general that you are missing.

Go to your file silenthunteriii\data\menu\en_menu.txt and check that:
a) it exists;
b) it contains the messages that you think are missing.

Check also the NYGM3.6B mod that you have, and compare the file dates for its en_menu.txt with the one described above. Probably the two copies of en_menu.txt differ, which implies a faulty installation.

Otherwise, check H.sie's documentation for the additions that he says you need for his V16B1 mod, and cut and paste them at the bottom of your existing en_menu.txt file.

Don't forget to make back-ups of files before you change them.

Good luck!
Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 06:03 AM   #4
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiebler View Post
You give no indication concerning how many messages in general that you are missing.

Go to your file silenthunteriii\data\menu\en_menu.txt and check that:
a) it exists;
b) it contains the messages that you think are missing.

Check also the NYGM3.6B mod that you have, and compare the file dates for its en_menu.txt with the one described above. Probably the two copies of en_menu.txt differ, which implies a faulty installation.

Otherwise, check H.sie's documentation for the additions that he says you need for his V16B1 mod, and cut and paste them at the bottom of your existing en_menu.txt file.

Don't forget to make back-ups of files before you change them.

Good luck!
Stiebler.
If he is talking about radio messages, then those are in the Campaign folder, en_messages or something like that. Can't miss it as it is next to the campaign layers.
Old 03-31-13, 03:51 PM   #5
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Default Messages

Thanks guys sorted it out didnt cut and paste properly so was missing the extra messages but its now sorted, all I need now is FLKM int including aft torp room and I will never be tempted back to sh5. Thanks.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-13, 05:17 PM   #6
machiavelli
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster1 View Post
Thanks guys sorted it out didnt cut and paste properly so was missing the extra messages but its now sorted, all I need now is FLKM int including aft torp room and I will never be tempted back to sh5. Thanks.
SH5 is beautiful but I'll always be drawn to sh3 just because of its immense grasp of the uboat conflict
Old 11-20-20, 09:44 PM   #7
Dostie
Watch

Downloads: 118
Default Missing Text

I Have the hardcoded fixes, GWX, Commander, V16B1 supplement, Thomsens soundpack and ARB WideGUI installed and I absolutely love the game. This game introduced me to modding and I am fairly new to it. However I get missing texts, most of it is there but I am missing some. I will get CE or WE then blank after. can someone give me some advice? I looked at the info provided earlier but all of my stuff seems to be complete. Thanks. ( I figured I would revive an old thread instead of making a new one.)
Dostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-20, 11:26 PM   #8
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dostie View Post
I Have the hardcoded fixes, GWX, Commander, V16B1 supplement, Thomsens soundpack and ARB WideGUI installed and I absolutely love the game. This game introduced me to modding and I am fairly new to it. However I get missing texts, most of it is there but I am missing some. I will get CE or WE then blank after. can someone give me some advice? I looked at the info provided earlier but all of my stuff seems to be complete. Thanks. ( I figured I would revive an old thread instead of making a new one.)
Missing texts = incorrect mod installation or a mod(s) with text was overwrote by another. The file "en_menu.txt" found in data/menu controls these messages.
Post your mod list, in order of installation. I can see already a problem; Thomsen's sound pack also contains an en_menu.txt file.
If it is installed after H.sie's supplement, there is your problem as it would be overwriting H.sie's text file. Try installing H.sie's supplement last in your order of mods, it will then overwrite all before it, and see what you get (assuming you've modded the en_menu. txt file per his instructions).

Last edited by John Pancoast; 11-20-20 at 11:48 PM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-20, 10:19 PM   #9
Dostie
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Missing texts = incorrect mod installation or a mod(s) with text was overwrote by another. The file "en_menu.txt" found in data/menu controls these messages.
Post your mod list, in order of installation. I can see already a problem; Thomsen's sound pack also contains an en_menu.txt file.
If it is installed after H.sie's supplement, there is your problem as it would be overwriting H.sie's text file. Try installing H.sie's supplement last in your order of mods, it will then overwrite all before it, and see what you get (assuming you've modded the en_menu. txt file per his instructions).
I will try that and I am sure you are right, that is what I did, thank you so much. One more question. I want to reinstall everything, is there a way to re load a old career after reinstalling everything? UPDATE- After following the above advice and appending the messages properly, Everything now works fantastically. Thanks again guys, I'm starting a new career, so ignore my pervious question.

Last edited by Dostie; 11-25-20 at 12:31 AM.
Old 11-25-20, 12:55 AM   #10
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I will try that and I am sure you are right, that is what I did, thank you so much. One more question. I want to reinstall everything, is there a way to re load a old career after reinstalling everything? UPDATE- After following the above advice and appending the messages properly, Everything now works fantastically. Thanks again guys, I'm starting a new career, so ignore my pervious question.
Great ! For future reference, yes, you can reload an old career. It will be found in the "documents" or"my documents" folder or something similar on your drive.
You should then see a folder with the name of the game, other folders inside it of the career, etc.
Just copy that and after the reinstall put it back in the same location.
Old 11-26-20, 01:58 PM   #11
Dostie
Watch

Quote:
Great ! For future reference, yes, you can reload an old career. It will be found in the "documents" or"my documents" folder or something similar on your drive.
You should then see a folder with the name of the game, other folders inside it of the career, etc.
Just copy that and after the reinstall put it back in the same location.
Thanks a lot for your help. After playing for a while I noticed one strange thing, all of the hard coded fixes are working properly except for torpedo reloading. It is letting me reload externals in bad weather at full speed. Same problem with internal loading as well. Any idea why this could happen?
Old 11-26-20, 03:58 PM   #12
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your help. After playing for a while I noticed one strange thing, all of the hard coded fixes are working properly except for torpedo reloading. It is letting me reload externals in bad weather at full speed. Same problem with internal loading as well. Any idea why this could happen?
If it's allowing you to do that, only thing I can think of is that you didn't choose that option when you patched your .exe file.
Copy/paste it back into the patch folder and run the options selector screen; it will tell you via checkmarks if you had the torpedo option enabled or not.
Old 11-26-20, 05:40 PM   #13
Dostie
Watch

Quote:
If it's allowing you to do that, only thing I can think of is that you didn't choose that option when you patched your .exe file.
Copy/paste it back into the patch folder and run the options selector screen; it will tell you via checkmarks if you had the torpedo option enabled or not.
I will give it a try thanks. I’m new to modding so this is a new, awesome world for me!
Old 11-26-20, 07:41 PM   #14
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
I will give it a try thanks. I’m new to modding so this is a new, awesome world for me!

Also, if desired you can edit the message text files to say anything you want.
I've changed/personalized mine quite a bit. I.e., my radio reports for convoys say "U-93: Report received. |%s %s, %s, course: %s, speed: %d kts" vs. the stock one.
Old 12-02-20, 08:58 PM   #15
Dostie
Watch

Still can’t get the torpedos to work with the hard coded fix. Also my periscope lowers at high speed but doesn’t get blurry, everything in the options selector is selected. Instead of redoing everything I am just going to live with it.