Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-03-08, 03:28 PM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default IL-2 GFX Settings

OK now that I have my 8500 GT 512MB GFX installed I am looking to get the graphics better than my ATi X300 128MB.

So what are the best settings in the config.ini and in game. I tried perfect settings but I lost land.
Old 01-04-08, 02:24 PM   #2
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

so no recommendations
Old 01-04-08, 03:06 PM   #3
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Well this is something that others cant really help you with. It's up to what your PC can take. You can test with the conf.ini under the OpneGL section, by changing all them different options.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 03:27 PM   #4
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly
Well this is something that others cant really help you with. It's up to what your PC can take. You can test with the conf.ini under the OpneGL section, by changing all them different options.

you can either Max it out first. and then lower some stuff till you get the required result.

or you can slowly build up.

its just a thing of switching options and test it out in game. untill you reach the desired result

HunterICX
Old 01-04-08, 03:31 PM   #5
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly

you can either Max it out first. and then lower some stuff till you get the required result.

or you can slowly build up.

its just a thing of switching options and test it out in game. untill you reach the desired result

HunterICX
Yes and no, some settings revert to the default if gone too far. For example, water = 4 is the highest, if you set it to = 5 it might revert back to water = 1 or 2. It really depens of the thing you are editing. THat's what I meant with testing.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 04:54 PM   #6
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Anyone else had issues where they set settings to perfect in game but lost scenery?

It was strange I thought it might be because my desktop was set to 16 bit and IL-2 to 32 bit but no.

Oh also with my nVidia Card I am getting banding in the skay? Any solutions to this?
Old 01-04-08, 06:08 PM   #7
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
Oh also with my nVidia Card I am getting banding in the skay? Any solutions to this?
That probably is due to the fact you've set your desktop color to 16 bit and not 32 :hmm:

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-08, 06:19 PM   #8
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

No both IL-2 and Desktop are at 32 bit. anyway I thought it does not matter what bit setting you have on your desktop as I run IL-2 full screen.
Old 01-04-08, 06:20 PM   #9
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

In Il-2 setup what do you put Video settings to as nVidia 8500 isn't listed so I go with default settings.
Old 01-04-08, 06:42 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Xabba,
in quick mission editor, set up a 16 vs 16 scenario and medium clouds, then save it.

make sure the game runs in desired resolution, all other graphic options to minimum. make a test flight with that scenario. Increase you options step by step, and test it. With modern hardware you should be able to run it all pretty much at maximum anyway, but play it safe this way by taking step by step. It will take you around 30-45 minutes ot testings maybe, but that way you find out directly what you system can handle without problems.

Since IL2 is a dogfighting-heavy sim and it's landscape knows only minore changes (imo) when changing land details, I would increase the other options earlier than the land quality options.

But as I said, modern hardware should be able to run it all pretty much at maximum. At least I can, with 1280x1024(or 960, I'm not sure). And my rig is not even modern, a P4 3GHz, 1 GB RAM, and AGP 7800 GS (256 MB, 84.xx).

If your card gives you troubles, try an older driver with a solid reputation. the latest are not always the best. that's why I am still with an 84.xx. Later drivers did not run all my (older) games without troubles, but this one does without a single glitch in any sim.