SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-27-20, 04:57 PM   #1
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default USN Expanded 1968 Submarines PACK In Epic Waters

I have nearly finish my Expanded 1960,S USN subs for EPIC WATERS

this Fills in the United States Submarines Roster

i decided after thinking about it to include the SSN-593 Thresher-class Nuclear Attack Submarine as a tribute & also it was the lead class of what became the permit class and had a Different Propeller giving it the same speed as a skipjack class SSN

this pack also has the USS Jack (SSN-605) a experimental version of the standard permit class which featured a Direct-drive propulsion plant and also twin contra-rotating on a single shaft

ive made a 1960,s Version of the USS SSN-671 Narwhal too by removing the Towed array Model and giving it 1968 sensors and weapons as it was built in 1969 its a valid addition

SSN-578 Skate-class Nuclear Attack Submarine
The skate class entered service in 1957 and were designed as economical production nuclear-powered submarines (SSN), and thus were smaller and more austere than their ground-breaking predecessor Nautilus, whose high cost had raised concerns they were designed before Nautilus demonstrated the advantages of sustained hight underwater speed thus their design speed was about the maximum of conventional Tang class, which Skates resembled in almost every aspect except propulsion their S3W reactor was a scaled-down version of Nautilus S2W reactor with a bout half the output it was also known as SFR (Submarine Fleet Reactor).

SS-580 Barbel-class Diesel-Electric Attack Submarine
The Barbel-class submarines, the Last diesel-electric propelled attack submarines built by the United States Navy, incorporated numerous, radical engineering improvements over previous classes they were the first production warships built with the teardrop-shaped hull first tested on the experimental USS Albracore (AGSS-569)
the torpedo tube arrangement of the Barbels was the same as the Skipjacks, with six bow tubes in a three-over-under configuration. these (and the skipjack-derived George Washington-class SSBNs) were the only US Navy classes to have this configuration, as subsequent SSN designs used four angled midships torpedo tubes to make room for a larger bow sonar sphere, and most SSBNs had four bow tubes.
The Barbels were built with bow mounted diving planes but these were replaced by sail planes (aka fair water planes) within a few years this feature was standard on US Navy submarines until bow planes returned with the improved Los Angeles class 688-i boats.

Last edited by steel shark; 06-11-20 at 10:10 AM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 01:16 AM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Thresher should have a 5 bladed screw same as all the Skipjacks, although by 1968 the Skipjacks may have all changed over to the 7 blade design. I know I was working on a early 60's campaign and stole a 5 blade screw from the Soviets.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 04:20 AM   #3
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default USS Thresher SSN-593

the Seven Golden Bladed Propeller on the Thresher is Intentional i am aware of Different Propeller types but as in cold waters i cant make new ones for now i am limited to using existing assets & as all USN Submarines in the game have Seven Bladed Prop,s Even the Skipjacks I decided to make Threshers Propeller Gold and Seven Bladed to make her look more Unique She is one of my favorite subs as shes got a permits Depth and is more quieter than a Skipjack Because of Better Noise Reduction methods Mainly "Rafting" also the Twin Wire Control gives better Offence Firepower all this with a Skipjacks Speed but i did maker her Cavitation Rate Worse then a normal Permit Class To balance This out see my Description Below

Description=SSN-593 Thresher-class Nuclear Attack Submarine
History=The contract to build Thresher was awarded to Portsmouth Navy Shipyards on January 15 1985 and her keel was on 28 May 1958 she was launched on 9 july 1960 she was commissioned on 3 August 1961. This class is like the permit class but had a different propeller which gave it a top speed of 33 Knots 5 knots faster then the Permit class but was found to cause excessive noise below cavitation depth. so was not added to the rest of this class of boats SSN-594 Permit and on wards. USS SSN-593 Thresher sank with all hands during trials in 1963 This was the worst submarine disaster in history.

as a side note in my Cold waters Games i have even made Variation Boats by this i mean they exist in the same year but are different so for example :

Thresher_60 / 1961 to 1968 / type ssn

Load out is :

Mark 16 Mod 1 torpedo (Mk16-M1) heavy anti-ship torpedo

Mark 37 Mod 1 Torpedo (Anti-Submarine Torpedo)

Thresher_68 / 1968 to 1970 / type ssn

Load out is

Mark 16 Mod 1 torpedo (Mk16-M1) heavy anti-ship torpedo

Mark 37 Mod 2 Torpedo (Anti-Submarine Torpedo)

Mark 45 Torpedo Mod 1 (Anti-Ship Wake Homming Torpedo)

UUM-44 (subroc) ASW Rocket

the dates mean when the ships change Equipment or get a Improvement or is decommissioned or is Stricken

an improvement is when its get actual new gear installed or is changed like having a towed array fitted ect they look like this in my games

Glenard_P_Lipscomb_78 / 1978 to 1988 / type ssn

Glenard_P_Lipscomb_imp1 / 1988 to 1990,s / type ssn

doing this when on random pick in campaign or Single Mission allows more choice of Vessels and even more different play styles in the game as you could get the Skipjack with 1960,s Load out or a skipjack with 1968 load out

in the 60,s Campaign,s or Single Missions

Well that,s how i like it Others May not but you can all ways just Actually pick your vessel after all and not leave it to Random

like a Random Your are hear by Ordered to Assume Command of

as for propeller theft yes ive had to do that loads
as for skipjacks i think i tried a alpha prop maybe it was ages back when i was messing about looking for Five bladed screws that looked something like the USN Ones and were roughly right size too so i cant remember

Thank you for input by the way & stay safe

Last edited by steel shark; 06-08-20 at 09:59 AM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-20, 12:02 PM   #4
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Steel Shark,

Is this mod released? I cannot seem to find it in the downloads section.

I would love to play this mod.

v/r
feld
feld is offline   Reply With Quote