Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-22-21, 07:50 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Aisles and courtyards in Lübeck

This video is NOT by me.

Hope my choosen word "aisle" is correct, iI am not certain. Found it difficult to find a matching translation.

It illustrates one of my prime reasons why I love this old town of Lübeck so very much: the socalled "Ganghäuser" (aisle houses).

These are very tiny houses build on ground not bigger than one small room, so you do not have several rooms on the same floor - only several rooms stacked onto each other, usally two to three, sometimes four.

They were meant as affordable flats for simple sailors, household servants, and people who could not pay big houses and flats in the past. in other words: for the poorer ones.

When we lived in Lübeck for 5 years in the 70s, most of these were ruins. After reunification, plenty of money was pumped into restoring them. Today, many of these houses are home to permanent residents as well as being rent to tourists. My parents and me spend two christmas seasons if two of such houses for 10 days, in winter 1997 and 1998 I think. It was cozy, and very "gemütlich". The places and courtyards are idyllic gems.

The whole old town of Lübeck is a top tip of mine for any visitors from abroad. Instead of chasing in zig-zags across all of Germany in hectic "cover as much as you can", rent one of these for a week, and stay in place, and learn that place better, its not just Lübeck's old town, but the whole Baltic Sea region around Lübeck, from Travemünde and the Brodtner Ufer and the Lübecker Bucht with its rough beaches in the North and North-East, to Wismar in the east. Its a beautiful region, and the Hanseatic culture is very special, always, anyway. It would be my most favourite place to live beside Bavaria' natural regions.

These houses can be leased cheaper if outside holiday seasons. The city has become a tourism hotspot unfortunately and gets overhelmed by armies of tourists in summer, so i would always recommend to travel there outside any holiday seasons.

The political administrations are haunted by ongoing corruption and incompetence, since decades. The social and financial situation is said to be dire. Unemployemnt and crime rate is high. Migrants quota is high as well.

I will try to find a nice film showing the typical streets of the old town as well, if I find it, I post it. For the time being, enjoy this film, and the photographies in the Wikipedia entry I also link.

Lübeck is part of the UNESCO world heritage. And deservedly so. Of course, it has its more modern and ugly faces, too, outside the centre island with the historic old town. Focus on the whole region, or on the old town, if your time to stay is limited to just a few days. And make sure you stray off the main attractions and explore the hidden, small streets where it is calmer and less crowded, much of the beauty of the town is in there, not on the main places. The poorer quarters are in the south-west, the better looking modern regions more to the East and North. At least it was that way back in our days we lived there.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B..._und_H%C3%B6fe
Old 10-22-21, 11:45 AM   #2
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Here in Denmark they are called Bindeværkshuse eller Bindingsværk. Very old build style.

We have a few of them here on our island.

Edit
Made a translation on this Danish word Bindeværkshuse and Google gave me
Two option - half-timbered house and truss house
If I translate your German word Ganghäuser I get Corridor
End Edit

Markus

My little lovely female cat

Last edited by mapuc; 10-22-21 at 12:34 PM.
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 05:36 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Very quaint

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 07:09 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Man, I get really painful longing when I see this.

Old 10-23-21, 10:10 AM   #5
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Wanted to know more about these type of houses.

Found a wiki page about them

Quote:
Since this building method has been used for thousands of years in many parts of the world, many styles of historic framing have developed. These styles are often categorized by the type of foundation, walls, how and where the beams intersect, the use of curved timbers, and the roof framing details.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-21, 10:40 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

One of the two tourist videos says it somewhere, the stones used for building the houses back in those days were not baked clay, but were handcrafted, means: precious and expensive. The more stones were used to build these houses, the wealthier the owner was: that is the message of such walls and houses.

The architecture, the socalled Hanseatic Backstein-Gotik, was copied by many other places around the Baltic and in other Hanse cities of which Lübeck was capital (not Hamburg!). Thats why many former Hanse cities have similar flair and looks and moods in their places , and if you go to Wismar slightly east of Lübeck, a city i also know well, that looks like a miniature copy of Lübeck, it looks the same, it feels the same, the atmopshere in there is the same, one could swear it even smells the same. Its just smaller everything. Its like that with many other Hanse cities, too. You see Lübeck until today in Hamburg, Bremen, Rostock... Lübeck was heart, centre and "Queen" of the Hanse.

The town's name btw has slavic and wagric roots, the name stems from the ancient word "Liubice", that means "the lovely", it then was combined with an ancient lower-German word, "beke", which means creek, refering probably to the two small rivers Trave and Wakenitz that completely surround the old town, making it essentially a complelte island. "Lübeck" means: the lovely one that is surrounded by two rivers.

This ^ island is what I mean when I talk of "Lübeck". The city obviously is much bigger nowadays, beyodn the island with the old town, but the tourist and visitor wants to focus on what is seen in that image, and the region towards Travemünde in the North.

The only place where i really would prefer to live over my current place.
Old 10-23-21, 11:13 AM   #7
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Beautiful looking place!

For future reference, the word 'aisle' is more commonly used to refer to the walkway between seats on a plane, shelves in a supermarket, etc.

Maybe 'alley' would be a better translation? Then again, you speak German and English while I only speak English
Old 10-23-21, 11:26 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

The word "Gang" in this context is tricky to translate, I found, i am not completely comfortable with any of the offered english translations in online dictionaries. Tunnel, corridor, passage, hallway: all that points at it, and yet does not precisely catch it.

But anyway...
Old 06-17-22, 01:44 PM   #9
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Man, I get really painful longing when I see this.

I have postcard and
photos extending only between 1970-2000...times gives wings.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-22, 01:21 PM   #10
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The word "Gang" in this context is tricky to translate, I found, i am not completely comfortable with any of the offered english translations in online dictionaries. Tunnel, corridor, passage, hallway: all that points at it, and yet does not precisely catch it.

But anyway...
Perhaps 'alley' or 'alleyway'? Both meaning an urban pathway not accessible to anything larger than a bike

Anyway, a lovely wistful post, my friend - I really get where you're coming from and we'd love to stay over in such a place
Old 06-18-22, 01:38 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Perhaps 'alley' or 'alleyway'? Both meaning an urban pathway not accessible to anything larger than a bike

Anyway, a lovely wistful post, my friend - I really get where you're coming from and we'd love to stay over in such a place
In 1997 and 1998 my parents and me visited Lübeck again for a week and for ten days, over Christmas, and every itme we staye dion one of these houses, many fo them are/were avialabole for tourism. Its hard to imagine how "gemütlich" these small houses then can be, with he weather outside grey and cold, and inside the materialization of "coziness". Also, the typical hanseatic atmosphere and interior, colours....

Oh man, is 25 years ago already...
Old 06-19-22, 04:06 AM   #12
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:

"The town's name btw has slavic and wagric roots, the name stems from the ancient word "Liubice", that means "the lovely", it then was combined with an ancient lower-German word, "beke", which means creek, refering probably to the two small rivers Trave and Wakenitz that completely surround the old town, making it essentially a complelte island. "Lübeck" means: the lovely one that is surrounded by two rivers"

I would think that they will one day be in much danger from flooding
Old 06-19-22, 05:38 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Possible, we will see what drama climate change REALLY will do in these regards. In the five years we lived there I experienced two floodings. The old town is an island and that island is a hill, at least comign fromthe West and enteri8ng through the Holstentor - it goes uphiull until you reahc the centre marekt place. The Western part of the ity, the road at the rivers (Trave and Wakenitz meet at the Holstentor) had its quayside street and the first row of old houses flooded, from half to one meter. Floodings of this natural kind are part iof life for those living in these houses. every couple of years. Still, the area is a fapvurite to live, the southern part of it is not for no reason called "Malerwinkel": painter's corner.

I just found oput that soembody there has copied a busienss model form Copenhagen: he lease sicense-free electroboats for 2-5 persons, small ones, a bit bigger than "Tretboote" (paddleboats?), and you then can tour around the old town and the yacht harbour inSt. Lorenz in the South-West.

3 minutes quick time tour around the old town, on rivers Wakenitz and Trave.

Lübeck is always worth a stay. But in summer the toursist are aforc eof nature. Take plenty of birdshot with you. Between holidays seasons is best time to travel there, also cheaper housing. Much cheaper. Autumn is nice - or over christmas days. The church bells of five churches and seven towers in a ver ysmall place makes the air vibrating everywhere, it is very special to walk during midnight matter in the town, especially near the dome. They call it "the city of seven towers".