SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-08-20, 04:45 AM   #1
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0
Default Help please - RA 1.49 Documentation?

Yesterday, I reinstalled my favorites:

AOD-DOS
SHCE-DOS (PZK utils)
SC
SC/SCXIIc+SCU
DW
DW/LWAMI (3.11)
DW/RA (1.49)

I have tons of documentation on all of the above. Even hard copy commercial strategy guides for AOD.

But I have a absolutely no documentation on DW/RA (1.49). RA was just getting started when I sailed away for a long, long time. I am just returning from much ancient Rome.

Is there any documentation for RA? Sadly, I don't read Russian.

Thanks greatly!
Old 11-08-20, 05:56 AM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Never mind.

I think everything I am going to need is in the manuals directory.

The Weapons programming they did is amazingly impressive!
Old 11-08-20, 01:24 PM   #3
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I just wanted to add a quick post on installing RA over DW for the folks who are either coming back to DW/RA or are new to DW mods.

Older versions of RA might be tough to find, but I'm sure someone archived them somewhere.

The majority (if not all) of RA installers require a STOCK install of DW that has the Sonanylsts 1.04 patch installed. Do NOT try to install a newer version of RA over an older version of RA.

I recommend keeping a stock-and-patched version of DW somewhere on your system in case you need it.

The install procedure for RA is very simple, BUT you need to make sure the installer has completed running and shut itself down:

-You should have some version of Winzip on your machine (Winzip, 7Zip, etc.) although later versions of Win10 seem to handle the files with no issue.

-Unzip the RA package prior to install. Where you unzip the files doesn't seem to matter as long as you can find them. You should see the RA Installer (.exe) and a folder of data goodies. Place these items in your main DW folder (you must see the DangerousWaters.exe icon in this folder). Then, click INSTALL and be patient. Even on fast desktops, the RA installer can take a while (figure on 5 to 10 minutes) to do everything it needs. What you should see is a "DOS Box" with the installer running. If it pauses, don't worry. This is normal. Wait until you see a message that says something like "Install complete. Press any key to continue" before you do anything. The installer should then shut itself down. Again, give the installer time to run, I've seen other folks who had problems (myself included) because they thought the installer was either done or had frozen and quit the install too early.

-At this point you should be ready to test your version of DW/RA and make sure everything runs. If you are running Win8 to Win10, you will NEED to install a display converter .DLL file. On later versions of RA, this converter DLL is located inside a folder of your newly installed version of DW/RA called "Windows 8".
NOTE: the DLL file MUST be located in the main DW folder. If you can see the DangerousWaters.exe icon and the DLL file in the same folder, you're ready to go.

One quick point about the converter DLL, it works great BUT it converts DW's 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9. What you see in the game will always be stretched slightly. If that bugs you, there are converters that will run DW in a windowed display mode. Just check the forum for your options.

One last quick tip. You get DW/RA set up and running and you notice:
"Hey, I was watching that guy on Twitch/YouTube play the game and his install looks a lot better than mine. What happened?"

Nothing, you just need to set your display options like you used to do in the game (the DW install file always defaults these values to minimums). Only now, if you try to change your display options (Win 8 and newer) DW will crash.
You get around that by manually editing the DangerousWaters.ini file. Right click the file and MAKE SURE you only use NOTEPAD to edit it. Check these forums for a better guide on how to edit this file, but for the most part you want to set DISPLAY QUALITY to "3". Avoid the temptation to set it to "4", it still doesn't work and DW may not start at all or start then shut down.

Now, go out and sink something.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 01:37 PM   #4
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Interesting.

I was not even aware of the aspect ratio issue using the DLL for SC and DW.

I have 2 displays:

21" 1600x1200 NEC LCD Monitor

32" SONY 1080p TV (1920x1080)

I use the latter mainly for games. I had used the former for my old sub games. So, the GPU was readjusting the aspect ratio back I guess.

I chose GPU and opposed to DISPLAY, I figured my GPU is probably better at this type stuff than the DISPLAY. I wanted 1024x768 to keep the text readable.
Old 11-08-20, 01:38 PM   #5
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

BTW, if you know any of the RA modders. You can tell them I was very impressed with the scope of the mod.

And the quality of the documentation, and that it is in readable English.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-20, 02:04 PM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Why you play RA 1.49 if latest version has number 1.50 beta?
Old 11-09-20, 01:38 AM   #7
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I saw 1.49 mentioned on Subsim. So, I googled for a download link and I ended up 1.49. I was unaware of a 1.50 beta.

I am a retired Software Engineer/CTO. Whenever, I use programs or play games I find bugs. I often get asked by game companies and mod teams to beta test. But honestly, I just want to play games. I have time on the business and development side of game companies.

So, even if I was aware of a "beta" release, I probably would have chosen 1.49 (if it is what considered tested and stable).
Old 11-09-20, 03:11 PM   #8
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

"Beta" because 3d model for playable Charlie II wasn't on time. but its full release - as always with some bugs. Currently we still waiting for final version because persons responsible for 3d model live in Belarus and they had some problems because of political situation. But still RA 1.50 beta is complete release as every release before. Of course for every release were published patches and fixes.

RA 1.50 beta has cumulative fix_03

3d model of Charlie will be added in final version
+ remodeled torpedoes (for example wire lenght will be shorter than max range of torpedo)

RA 1.50 beta in my opinion is more stable than RA 1.49

Our community played 21 MP battles with RA 1.50 beta
Old 11-10-20, 01:22 AM   #9
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Thanks for defining your semantics for "beta".

---

Okay, I don't know if this issue is the DW engine or the modded game. I only tested RA 1.49.

I have 12 almost identical missions where you choose a playable sub, and you have a cruise ship parallel your course at 7kts at 5nmi, 10nmi ... 60nmi.

I use this to play around with sensor behavior.

I was able to get a NB contact at the 60Hz harmonic from 40nmi with Seawolf, LA III, and Akula III. It was very faint. I used a programmed key to boost LCD brightness for detection. It was very faint; a ghost image (black against the background). I was at 5kts with the TB-29.

But here is the thing which troubles me. The tracker was able to hold that contact with TA 95% retracted. That does not make sense to me. TA performance should diminish. I have yet to try this with stock DW and SC with the TA mainly retracted. It just seems wrong.

I was doing this as I was looking at a way I might shoot, and get up to flank speed quicker if needed without breaking the TA.

Finally for completeness, I should note BB detection on 30 min ITA was achieved at 10nmi.

Comments? Thanks.
Old 11-10-20, 02:46 AM   #10
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot View Post
Thanks for defining your semantics for "beta".
Read again what i wrote - there is small chance this time you will understand.

Simple version for you:
1. RA 1.50 was complete except 3d model of charlie.
2. Waiting for Charlie took 3-4 weeks without any info when 3d model will be complete
3. Developer decided to release RA 1.50 as "beta" and add 3d model of Charlie II later (now is simple low poly from vanilla game)

Of course every time after releasing new version players discovers some bugs. So list of bugs was created for fix in final version. Its the same as releasing RA 1.XX + patch

But waiting for 3d model was much longer than everyone expected - so new feature (torpedo wire lenght) will be added as some kind of "bonus"

Clear?

Quote:
I have 12 almost identical missions where ....
Fascinating! What you wanna to do with your tests and missions?
Old 11-10-20, 03:38 AM   #11
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
Read again what i wrote - there is small chance this time you will understand.

Simple version for you:
1. RA 1.50 was complete except 3d model of charlie.
2. Waiting for Charlie took 3-4 weeks without any info when 3d model will be complete
3. Developer decided to release RA 1.50 as "beta" and add 3d model of Charlie II later (now is simple low poly from vanilla game)

Of course every time after releasing new version players discovers some bugs. So list of bugs was created for fix in final version. Its the same as releasing RA 1.XX + patch

But waiting for 3d model was much longer than everyone expected - so new feature (torpedo wire lenght) will be added as some kind of "bonus"

Clear?

Fascinating! What you wanna to do with your tests and missions?

Your first post was perfectly clear. Thank you.

I just had 1.49 installed already. What's the link for 1.50?

The missions and testing are to understand the sensors and their use better. Since SC, everyone has been modding platform noise and sensors, but you are never really told what that means in precise terms.

If I can hold a TA tracker at maximum range on a contact with the TA only 10% deployed, than why should I stream 100%? It is the difference between 1 minute and 10 minutes to be able to call for flank speed.
Old 11-10-20, 04:24 AM   #12
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Alright, the deploy/retrieval TA time (TB-29) is not 10 minutes. I did not time it, but it is probably closer 3-4 minutes.

Identical mission with parallel cruise ship at 7KTS.

DWX 1.49: Max NB detection 40nmi. Min reliable TA deployment 25% to hold contact (tracker).

DW stock: Max NB detection 45nmi. Min reliable TA deployment 50% to hold contact (tracker).

That's my data. Given that I was testing in 5nmi increments, they may well be closer than it looks.

This is not a bad outcome. Why? For the player, it means missions made for stock DW should be playable in RA.

I am happy with your mod. Thank you.
Old 11-10-20, 12:02 PM   #13
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Your first post was perfectly clear.
I doubt because you called it semantic but it definately wasn't semantic :P
But im glad you understood simple version.

Quote:
What's the link for 1.50?
Easiest way is to use links from my discord channel (click on my signature).

Quote:
Why? For the player, it means missions made for stock DW should be playable in RA..
Really? What values are crucial for compatibility? In my opinion your test proves nothing usefull. Also you didn't checked "input data" because base Passive sonar SL for cruise ship in vanilla is different than in RA
88 in vanilla
82 in RA 1.49 & 1.50 beta

It looks like you did completly useless test for checking compatibility and forgot to check really important values

Btw did you saw cruise ship on open seas running with 7 kts?
Old 11-10-20, 12:14 PM   #14
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

I am just looking to see if I can use the SCS mission generator, or if I need to create my own. I used to do that previously.

I gave up on sub sims mainly because I don't have time to patrol for days and find nothing. I think it is a result of age and health.

Well, I will give a few things a try and see if they are truly useless.

Thanks for directing me to the links.
Old 11-10-20, 03:15 PM   #15
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
If I can hold a TA tracker at maximum range on a contact with the TA only 10% deployed, than why should I stream 100%? It is the difference between 1 minute and 10 minutes to be able to call for flank speed.

I never go beyond 25-30% deployed. Maybe 10% now with your testing. The only reason to deploy it further is to dip it below a layer or, if you're below a layer in the shadow zone, dip it out of the shadow zone to listen to stuff above the layer.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote