SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-27-20, 12:19 AM   #1
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0
Icon8 I need help editing the morale system!!

Patrol start : 14-2-1941
Current date: 20-2-1941

Morale: 0

Ships sunk: 10
Airplanes shot down: 1

Warship tonnage 1850
Merchant tonnage 27827

The so called "reworked morale/fatigue system" is beyond ridiculous and completely historically inaccurate. (Apart from annoying me severely at the moment).

Does anyone know which files I have to mod to make the game more up to par with actual history, just like many of the other mods/tweaks have done?

OLtzS Ashikaga.
Old 09-27-20, 05:01 AM   #2
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikaga View Post
Patrol start : 14-2-1941
Current date: 20-2-1941

Morale: 0

Ships sunk: 10
Airplanes shot down: 1

Warship tonnage 1850
Merchant tonnage 27827

The so called "reworked morale/fatigue system" is beyond ridiculous and completely historically inaccurate. (Apart from annoying me severely at the moment).

Does anyone know which files I have to mod to make the game more up to par with actual history, just like many of the other mods/tweaks have done?

OLtzS Ashikaga.

Hi Ashikaga

I'm not sure how did you manege to degrade your crew moral so much in just 6 days, especially because I've added in recent versions moral bonuses for regular merchants sinkings and not only the warships, secondary missions ect...In my boat, moral is maintained for days, even months, and if it goes down, bosun and cook can ease the tension sufficiently... Have you suffered the damage maybe, or forget to turn off battles stations state?

Anyway, If you really don't like it so much, you can edit "MoraleCost= " values from "Silent Hunter 5\data\UPCDataGE\UPCCrewData\SpecialAbilities.upc" file to 0 (eg. "MoraleCost= 1, 2, 3" to "MoraleCost= 0, 0, 0"), but I think you'll lose important aspect of the game.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-20, 07:17 AM   #3
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Ashikaga: this is unrelated to your question (I think vdr1981 pretty much covered it) but you seem to have missed this:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=162048
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-20, 07:58 PM   #4
Ashikaga
Commodore

@ Kapuhy, my bad! Sorry. I thought it meant "related to TWoS".

The TWoS version I use is 2.2.7 cannot upgrade due to save game compatibility issues and am near the end date of my Happy Times/ Atlantic Air Gap campaign, close to march 7, 1941

@ Vecko, I was engaged in a few long battles as well as DD evading in which I kept my crew on high alert for a while and also suffered some damage but did not use any special commands for damage repair.

I used F7 and BS level2 and Silent running (z) and the XO's Ruhe im boot command for a few hours evading the destroyers.

I used a combination of crew management and special meal but sinking ships did not at all add to the morale and when all bars were without dots no morale was added anymore, after I used up my talk to the crew possibilities.

So sadly the crew went basically morale-less and started refusing the simplest commands, like target lock et cetera.

Thank you very much for the pointer to the editable file. Would it also be possible to edit these values to 0.5, 1.5, 2.5 ?

Best wishes,

OLtzS Ashikaga

Last edited by Ashikaga; 10-01-20 at 12:38 AM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-20, 04:05 AM   #5
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
The TWoS version I use is 2.2.7 cannot upgrade due to save game compatibility issues and am near the end date of my Happy Times/ Atlantic Air Gap campaign, close to march 7, 1941

I strongly suggest you to update your megamod and to start new campaign. It's kind of pointless to discus megamod version which is now 13 updates old, don't you agree?

Quote:
I used a combination of crew management and special meal but sinking ships did not at all add to the morale
That feature is introduced in version 2.2.9, check the change logs...

Quote:
v2.2.9 changelog
- Western Approaches campaign chapter, flotilla renamed to more historically accurate 7th flotilla.
- OFEV stock settings: Range filter for useful contact reports from Captains Log increased to 800km (previously 400km), Hydro follow contact update time, 3 minutes + few more minor tweaks. (run batch file from TWoS Documentation folder to activate the changes)
- Edited tool-tip description of "Range filter for useful contact report" function which will hopefully make it more understandable for less insightive players.
- Slightly increased probability of enemy airstrike when you're detected and/or when sending radio messages.
- Historically accurate South African naval/merchant ensigns , flags chart updated as well.
- Removed "unknown contact" label if a sound contact is located outside of hydrophone detection parameters and can not be detected by your AI sonarman. The contact can still be heard by player though, due to engine limitation, but you won't be able to track it with the apropriate hydro GUI commands.
- Fixed bug which was causing certain (undamaged) warships and destroyers to appear at "deck awash" depth in the campaign.
- Fixed bug which was causing hospital ships in French ports to spontaneously catch fire and sink.
- Fixed typo in M4 Enigma in-game instructions.
- Edited U-boat flags appearance so that German flag is always on top.
- Fixed and completely redesigned crew efficiency bars visible in the crew efficiency page. The bars will now move in right directions depending on current crew/efficiency state(s). The percentage values of bars movement are not completely accurate and should not be taken for granted but they'll be accurate enough to give you a clue about what is going on in your sub and how certain crew special abilities can effect systems/crew efficiency.
- Added pumps and watch crew efficiency bars.
- Updated F1 key commands help chart: F11 key-Submerged torpedo loading, F12 key-External torpedo reserves transfer.
- Tuned and re-enabled "units visual sensor affected by available light" patch in TWoS Generic Patcher Snapshot (restore snapshot to activate changes).
- Completely revised and edited composition of late war years convoys. Now it will be much more difficult to find a convoy without at least few old frigates on protection duty from 1943 onwards, except in some very distant waters.
- Edited description and picture of GHG+KDB hydrophone upgrade pack from which is now clearly visible that your U-bot will be equipped with two hydrophone sensors after the upgrade (GHG which is stock + added KDB).
- German warships and destroyers are now completely removed from Mediterranean campaigns. Only auxiliaries and submarines will be present.
- Added two new dialog commands to radioman and WO dialog menus: Send weather report and Report the nearest stationary radio source/beacon.
- Added moderate crew morale bonus for merchants and significant morale boost for capital ships sinking.

- Removed all crew abilities which could effect torpedo damage.
- Added new active crew abilities which will allow the player to disengage sound and visual contact reports. "Watch crew off" ability is limited to 20 min while the "Hydrophone off" has a on/off function. Use these abilities carefully from obvious reasons.
- Redesign and improved crew morale/motivation mechanics. "Life saving" and normal operations abilities won't require any special crew motivation, while some individual skills will still require good morale in order to be activated.
- Crew won't directly reject your orders anymore if low on morale/motivation. Instead , you'll receive more appropriate answer like "I'll try Sir" or "I am doing my best Sir" without any "head shaking" animation ect.
- Added passive abilities to senior staff as well: Chief engineer (Pressure Hull-Critical Spots), WO (Watch Crew) and XO (Crew Check-enabled by default). Check ingame description for details.
- Added several more realistic crew abilities:
Torpedoman:
* External torpedo reserves transfer - to the best of my knowledge, this is the most realistic implementation of this dangerous and demanding activity so far which will make your sub very vulnerable until the transfer is complete.
* Submerged torpedo loading - Torpedoman's ability to "motivate" his men which will improve with every new level upgrade.
* Regular torpedo maintenance - Passive ability which will ensure nominal torpedo performance and range.
Chief Engineer:
* Air purification measures - Taken directly from type Type VIIC manual. Reduces CO2 accumulation for certain period of time and. It can be used only once per patrol.
Bosun:
* Last Resort - A new and interesting ability which will allow the player to send the crew to bunks in order to save the oxygen in especially desperate situations, inspired by well known "Das Boot" ending.
Navigator:
* Celestial Navigation: Should have effect only with Real Navigation Add-on.

- Various smaller tweaks and fixes.
If you are still unhappy with the moral sustem in the latest TWoS v2.2.20, then you can precede to do the tweaks I told you and disable the moral costs completely...
Old 10-01-20, 12:45 AM   #6
Ashikaga
Commodore

Thank you for that info and your superb job!

Will consider starting a new campaign, even though I play this game in realtime whenever I play it.

Quick question, why did you remove the crew ability to increase torpedo damage? As far as I know Torpedomaate and the Chief torpedo mechanic did have ways to tinker with the explosive power of torps.

OLtzS Ashikaga

Last edited by Ashikaga; 10-01-20 at 01:37 AM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-20, 01:31 PM   #7
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Thank you for that info and your superb job!

Will consider starting a new campaign, even though I play this game in realtime whenever I play it.

Punch some TC , it's not a cheat. x128 TC is perfect for slow gameplay and yet your computer wont needed to be on all the time. SH5 is not vatsim or ivao...

Quote:
Quick question, why did you remove the crew ability to increase torpedo damage? As far as I know Torpedomaate and the Chief torpedo mechanic did have ways to tinker with the explosive power of torps.

OLtzS Ashikaga
I really don't see how would they be able to do that but if you have some source, please pass it on...