SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-19, 06:29 AM   #1
RevReese
Watch

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0
Exclamation Problem with NYGM officer icons blocks of colour... and multiple install issues

Hello all, I have just reinstalled SH3 after buying a new computer and thought i would try NYGM as i usually go GWX.

I have installed fresh clean copies of the game one for GWX, and one for NYGM.
I have installed SH3 Commander, JSGME to each and MultiSH3 (though this does not seem to be working as the separate folders are not created in My Documents).

I installed NYGM following the instructions on the download page (e.g top 6 parts all in the correct order with JSGME).

I assume i don't need all the rest as they are optional but i thought i would download them anyway until i can figure out if i want them or not.

Problem is, upon loading into the game, the Officer icons on the bottom left are bright rectangles of solid colour (green/yellow/pink etc) is this normal?

I have not tested beyond this point yet as i wanted to ensure i have installed everything correctly (which i assume i haven't) before embarking on a career.

I did patch the sh3.exe with the Stiebler patch which seemed to work no problem.

Replacing the sh3.exe with the backup unmodded copy made no difference.

Can anyone please help me get back on track? I really want to try this mod but just want to make sure it is all stable first!!

I will try reinstalling again in case i missed something but any advice would be greatly welcomed!

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by RevReese; 08-07-19 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Edited title for clarity
RevReese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 07:46 AM   #2
ThePrody
not dead yet

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 1

yes, the colored blocks for officer icons are part of the mod , not many people liked it , there is an optional mod called Captain's America icons or something like that, it replaces those blocks with icons .
ThePrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 08:36 AM   #3
RevReese
Watch

ah okay, that explains it then!
Thank you for clarifying, i will just grab the Captain America mod then.

Edit: I have noticed that the Weapons Officer icon is missing, there is literally nothing there to click on! I created the folder structure as the readme instructed before adding the folder to JSGME and activating it.

It wanted to overwrite NYGM's icons which was fine as i do not like them anyway.

The other problem i have is with SH3 Commander, if i launch the game with it, it seems to just load the vanilla game (even though it says NYGM TW loaded via SH3 Commander at the bottom but there was no NYGM splash screen, just the vanilla game).

Do i launch via SH3 Commander shortcut (assuming it does actually load NYGM) or the shortcut directly to the patched sh3.exe which definitely does load NYGM 3.6 with the splash screens?

Also, i noticed that Captain America's Icon mod does not work when loading via SH3 Commander, it has the default faces instead which makes me think NYGM is not running correctly.

Is there a way for me to see if the mod and sub mods are working?

My SH3 Commander profiles appear when loaded via sh3 commander but do not when loaded via the shortcut to sh3.exe which makes me think i need to launch via sh3 commander always.

Last edited by RevReese; 08-07-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 09:15 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevReese View Post
... I have installed fresh clean copies of the game one for GWX, and one for NYGM.
I have installed SH3 Commander, JSGME to each and MultiSH3 (though this does not seem to be working as the separate folders are not created in My Documents)...
I assume your new computer has Windows 10? The path for the stock Save folder normally would be "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH3". Also, the SH3.exe file has to be able to be written to, so right-click on the SH3.exe file, and choose "Properties" from the context menu, and look at the file attributes section, and make certain that the "Read-only" tick box is empty. You'll also have to have the file set like that to use the 4gig Patch. If you've already done that, I apologize ahead of time.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 09:46 AM   #5
RevReese
Watch

Yes i am on Windows 10

sh3.exe is not set to read only but it was a good idea to check it!
Old 08-07-19, 10:48 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Well, I was able to create several Save folders with MultiSH3 on my Win10 laptop... Later today when I get back to that machine, I'll look at the MultiSH3 I have, and if I had to do anything "special" for it to work... I do know that I don't have Silent Hunter III (or 4) installed in a "Program Files" folder...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-19, 11:00 AM   #7
RevReese
Watch

Hey, no i haven't installed SH3 to program files, it is under F:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3.

I installed MultiSH3 and SH3 Commander to each a separate install to each copy of the game (F:\Silent Hunter 3 NYGM and F:\Silent Hunter 3 GWX).

I clicked "save" on the multish3 dialog box after entering a 3 digit name so i have no idea why it is not working.

ah well, where would i be without mod troubles?
The annoying thing is it will turn out to be some silly mistake on my part!
Old 08-07-19, 12:14 PM   #8
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

When starting SH3Commander, make sure that you are launching Silent Hunter 3 NYGM (GWX) in the upper left corner.
PS. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=212323

Last edited by Anvar1061; 08-07-19 at 12:25 PM.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nygm