SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-18-16, 01:02 PM   #1
Gwenydd
verrückt kaleun

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 2

Default Simulator I/O hooks

To the developers,

First I would like to say that you two have done a great job with the simulation so far! It's already quite solid and playable and I'm excited to see what it will become.

Secondly, as a long time simulation fan, programmer, and former flight simulator technician for Japan Airlines I have a question/request: Have you considered providing for those of us out here who are crazy enough to build physical simulators to tie in with the software? I would love to build my own submarine control room complete with periscope, TDC, sound/radio nook, engine room etc all with real physical controls, lights, bells etc. HMS Marulken as it already stands is perfect for that and all we would need is the ability map physical controls to all in-game controls (whether keyboard mappings or directx buttons or axes) and output hooks to trigger indicator lights, gagues, alarms, sound effects etc.

This has already been done with other games such as Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator http://artemis.eochu.com/ via the use of DMX outputs allowing everything I have mentioned to be accomplished.

If this is something you would consider doing I can promise you some impressive photos and videos of my envisioned sub simulator in use when it's doable, not to mention my (and likely many others') undying gratitude!

Thanks again for undertaking this impressive project! I hope my suggestions are something you will consider.

Cheers!

Gwen

PS - I already backed the project on Kickstarter. Anyone else here who hasn't should get off their butts and do so right now =)
Gwenydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-16, 09:08 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

Gwenydd!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-16, 11:15 AM   #3
TheQuack45
Swabbie

Downloads: 1

This has been mentioned to the devs on one of the Q&A sessions, actually. I forget exactly what they said but I do recall them saying they'll consider it, although I'd imagine it's not a huge priority yet. But I'm sure that many here would really enjoy having that feature available, so I'll imagine it will happen some time in the future!
TheQuack45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-16, 01:41 PM   #4
Usurpator
Wolfpack Dev Team

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenydd View Post
To the developers,

First I would like to say that you two have done a great job with the simulation so far! It's already quite solid and playable and I'm excited to see what it will become.

Secondly, as a long time simulation fan, programmer, and former flight simulator technician for Japan Airlines I have a question/request: Have you considered providing for those of us out here who are crazy enough to build physical simulators to tie in with the software? I would love to build my own submarine control room complete with periscope, TDC, sound/radio nook, engine room etc all with real physical controls, lights, bells etc. HMS Marulken as it already stands is perfect for that and all we would need is the ability map physical controls to all in-game controls (whether keyboard mappings or directx buttons or axes) and output hooks to trigger indicator lights, gagues, alarms, sound effects etc.

This has already been done with other games such as Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator http://artemis.eochu.com/ via the use of DMX outputs allowing everything I have mentioned to be accomplished.

If this is something you would consider doing I can promise you some impressive photos and videos of my envisioned sub simulator in use when it's doable, not to mention my (and likely many others') undying gratitude!

Thanks again for undertaking this impressive project! I hope my suggestions are something you will consider.

Cheers!

Gwen

PS - I already backed the project on Kickstarter. Anyone else here who hasn't should get off their butts and do so right now =)
Hello Gwen!

Your ideas sound amazing! We have considered this a lot, but we don't have much experiance with physical controls. We will contact you at a later stage, since this is not our top priority right now, and maybe you can tell us what you need to make it work?

Best regards

Einar
Usurpator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-16, 05:09 PM   #5
Gwenydd
verrückt kaleun

Downloads: 143
Uploads: 2

Default Thanks!

Thanks Einar! I appreciate the positive response. I would be happy to do what I can to help.

Gwen
Gwenydd is offline   Reply With Quote